Quick Question About Usd > Thb Exchange Rates

Hi All

Quick question.

I send $$$ USD to TL every 3 months to pay for our Condo & also our rent for a business we have there.

They sometimes seem to get more but often less than I intended or thought I was sending.

I usually use XE.com to get my conversion so maybe that is off.

I do not send THB I send $$$ so I know it is not that.

Using BKK Bank exchange site I see this

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...tes/default.htm

When using that site I should be looking at the buying column right? As they are buying the USD am I correct?

I do see it varies somewhat from what I see on XE but not by much.

Does BKK Bank charge the receiving account something too?

Just curious. We hope to be back by next month & can sort everything so it does not happen in the future. ( Sell the business we hope ) :o

Anyway any info appreciated as to why there is a difference.

The way to remember is just think what is worse for you. That is the way the numbers go. For example, in general they will "buy" 100 USD notes and pay you 33.98 Baht. Conversely, they will sell you 100 USD notes if you give them 34.66 Baht. The current exchange rate from another website today is: i1 USD = 34.34 baht. So this is how they make their money. They give you less baht than the exchange rate, and take more than the exchange rate when you convert back to USD.

The Buy and Sell is from their point of view of the transaction.

Buying Rates Selling Rates

USD50 USD : 50-100 33.98 34.66

It looks like the numbers on the right of the table may apply to electronic transfers instead of on sight paper bill transfers, but I am not familiar with their operations. If so, they get closer to the current exchange rate. I would guess they use one of these numbers: 34.13 , 34.23, or 34.48 . This seems pretty good actually, assuming they don't charge any other conversion fees.

The way to remember is just think what is worse for you. That is the way the numbers go. For example, in general they will "buy" 100 USD notes and pay you 33.98 Baht. Conversely, they will sell you 100 USD notes if you give them 34.66 Baht. The current exchange rate from another website today is: i1 USD = 34.34 baht. So this is how they make their money. They give you less baht than the exchange rate, and take more than the exchange rate when you convert back to USD.

The Buy and Sell is from their point of view of the transaction.

Buying Rates Selling Rates

USD50 USD : 50-100 33.98 34.66

It looks like the numbers on the right of the table may apply to electronic transfers instead of on sight paper bill transfers, but I am not familiar with their operations. If so, they get closer to the current exchange rate. I would guess they use one of these numbers: 34.13 , 34.23, or 34.48 . This seems pretty good actually, assuming they don't charge any other conversion fees.

Thank You for the informative reply! :o

For wire transfers, Bangkok Bank uses the "TT" rate. I have found this exchange rate to be almost smack on over the years I have been wiring money.

Don't forget they charge .25% (.0025) of the amount wired, with a minimum of 200 baht, a maximum of 500. So, deduct this charge before confirming you got the advertised TT rate.

Don't forget they charge .25% (.0025) of the amount wired, with a minimum of 200 baht, a maximum of 500. So, deduct this charge before confirming you got the advertised TT rate.

Jeez I did not know that.

So 40 USD to send then up to 15 USD to receive wow !! :o

Thanks for the info

So 40 USD to send then up to 15 USD to receive wow !!

The $40 wire fee is about average.

However, if you're willing to wait about 4 business days for your money to show up, you can use the Automatic Clearing House (ACH) system to EFT funds from your US account to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. The max cost is $10, plus the .0025 Bangkok Bank charge on the Thai end. And it's all done strictly using the Internet -- no human interface.

You set this up just as you would to allow EFTs between US accounts -- but using the ABA of the New York branch of Bangkok Bank (and your Thai account number), acting as an intermediary.

When you add Bangkok Bank New York to your US bank's EFT list, check the block that says you can only send to, not send from, your Thai account.

See this link for further info: EFTing money from US to Thailand

Thanks Jim

Right now I do not have an acct set up at BKK

I just send it to our business land lords acct.

My wife has an acct at BANK OF AYUDHYA

which we wire to & pay our condo mortgage from.

Soon we will go back & when we do I will set things up better.

Thanks for the tips!