Stephen Hawking Says

Master Chief

CAMBRIDGE, England (CNN) -- Professor Stephen Hawking, one of the world's great scientists, is looking to the stars to save the human race -- but pessimism is overriding his natural optimism.

Stephen Hawking, here delivering a lecture in May, spoke recently to CNN about his vision of the future.

Hawking, in an exclusive CNN interview, said that if humans can survive the next 200 years and learn to live in space, then our future will be bright.

"I believe that the long-term future of the human race must be in space," said Hawking, who is almost completely paralyzed by the illness ALS.

"It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster on planet Earth in the next 100 years, let alone next thousand, or million. The human race shouldn't have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet. Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load."

Hawking is one of the few scientists known to a wide audience outside academia thanks to his best-selling books, a guest spot on "The Simpsons" and an ability to clearly explain the complexities of theoretical physics.

He has 12 honorary degrees, was awarded the CBE in 1982 and since 1979 has been at Cambridge University's Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, where he is Lucasian Professor of Mathematics -- a post once held by Isaac Newton.

Speaking at Cambridge's Centre for Mathematical Studies, he said: "I see great dangers for the human race. There have been a number of times in the past when its survival has been a question of touch and go. The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 was one of these. Watch the interview in full »

"The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future. We shall need great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully.

"But I'm an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries, our species should be safe, as we spread into space."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/1...king/index.html

Hawking, in an exclusive CNN interview, said that if humans can survive the next 200 years and learn to live in space, then our future will be bright.

The problem is, getting there, please read "Physics of the Impossible"..by Michio Kaku

I thought the super-colider thread was boring.zzzzzz

Ah crap. And I was thinking of cryogenics (myself) for 1000 years. When I wake up you all be gone!!!!! :o

If you do it today, I promise to write a nice post about you in your absence.

Thanks man, :D when im awake ill make you a proud grate x100 granddaddy to return the favor

Edited by RakJungTorlae

optimistic, considering that in 4 years time the

to our Sun will enter the inner solar solar system bringing with it the 'end of days' :o

to our Sun will enter the inner solar solar system bringing with it the 'end of days' :o

Dropped a couple of brown dwarfs off at the pool and that certainly made the end of my day. :D

to our Sun will enter the inner solar solar system bringing with it the 'end of days' :D

Dropped a couple of brown dwarfs off at the pool and that certainly made the end of my day. :D

:o

to our Sun will enter the inner solar solar system bringing with it the 'end of days' :D

Or do you mean a couple of brown logs? :o

Hawkings, interesting guy. Planet X etc, also interesting theory, first saw that about 30 years ago, but remember also reading a good debunking about it a while back as well. However a bit a fun to look at it again.

As the second poster breathlessly pointed out this isn't Thai related though and will get closed, you won't find any intellectual stimulation on this forum. Except if you believe what passes for political commentary and the whiteness of girlfriends butts has any merit. I think the last guy regaling us about his bowel movements sums up the amount electrical synapse activity going on here. Cheers.

Thailand related? for sure!

Special press release to all TV supporters.

Just started to create a business plan for www.spaceythaigirl.com, looking for investors to support the creating of a farang owned space bar station in space.

Located at the red cosmic light quatum space area, by the backside of Mars.

Any interested investors can PM me.

Yours truly,

MC

My biggest regret about being of this era is that I probably won't live to see humans colonize space.

I mean, I guess it's possible that I'd see it, but humans aren't progressing nearly as quickly as they did in the 30s and 40s. They promised us flying cars by the year 2000, but the biggest advancements since have served only to allow people to sit on their asses and get fat.

The internet, fast food, delivery pizza, televisions and games? All distractions keeping the masses from reaching greater potential. I'm sure it's not intentional, but it certainly is happening.

Even if humans were to begin preparing for interstellar colonization; with the technology currently available, it would take lifetimes to terraform planets. Ships capable of space travel still take years to travel the solar system. To realistically do anything, that figure would have to be taken down to days, or at least months. Though I have little doubt that we will someday accomplish this.

If I had to make a prediction: Soon after humans begin settling the galaxy, there will be a war that dwarfs all wars previously known to man. We'll dispute amongst ourselves as to who should get what planet, or which section on the planet, or which vast clump of resources floating around in space. If we survive that, then we're in the clear =) at least, temporarily.

*edit* I should amend that the internet serves many useful purposes and is definitely a step toward the right direction. Unfortunately, it's also an object of abuse. It's like a drug to some people; they just play around all day, wasting away as the world passes them by. Many of these people could be the next Einstein, or Ford, but we'll never find out.

Edited by Monroe

My biggest regret about being of this era is that I probably won't live to see humans colonize space.

I mean, I guess it's possible that I'd see it, but humans aren't progressing nearly as quickly as they did in the 30s and 40s. They promised us flying cars by the year 2000, but the biggest advancements since have served only to allow people to sit on their asses and get fat.

The internet, fast food, delivery pizza, televisions and games? All distractions keeping the masses from reaching greater potential. I'm sure it's not intentional, but it certainly is happening.

Even if humans were to begin preparing for interstellar colonization; with the technology currently available, it would take lifetimes to terraform planets. Ships capable of space travel still take years to travel the solar system. To realistically do anything, that figure would have to be taken down to days, or at least months. Though I have little doubt that we will someday accomplish this.

If I had to make a prediction: Soon after humans begin settling the galaxy, there will be a war that dwarfs all wars previously known to man. We'll dispute amongst ourselves as to who should get what planet, or which section on the planet, or which vast clump of resources floating around in space. If we survive that, then we're in the clear =) at least, temporarily.

*edit* I should amend that the internet serves many useful purposes and is definitely a step toward the right direction. Unfortunately, it's also an object of abuse. It's like a drug to some people; they just play around all day, wasting away as the world passes them by. Many of these people could be the next Einstein, or Ford, but we'll never find out.

I doubt even your children or great grandchildren will see any real space colonization. The only places we know about that are even remotely suitable is the moon and Mars. I suspect it'll mostly be a small number of astronaut/scientists on missions to the moon, similar to scientific outposts in Antarctica. Maybe a few space tourists now and then who have a few million to burn.

Mars? At best, a handful of astronauts photographing footprints, collecting rocks, setting up equipment, etc., mostly to show it could be done. It would be a very cool thing to do though. However, the price tag to send a crew of around 8 people for such a showing would be, um, astronomical. Who's going to foot the bill for frequent 2-year round-trip human excursions to the Red Planet? 9 months to get there, 3 or 4 months on the surface, and 9 months to get back. Far cheaper to send advanced AI robotics to do the work. Actual colonization? Probably not any time soon.

BTW, there are people who hold some thought provoking discussions on the Internet.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=243659

Terranoix news update ano 3010-08-18

The Rover explorer sent to Planet Mars, located in our anchestors solar planet system (Terra Galicticus), has discovered an abandoned Mars explorer of the great founder of our present universe, Sir Stephen Hawking.

This finding has been hailed as the biggest proof that our known universe originates from the Terra Galicticus system.

More news update from our science offices to come soon.

post-27810-1223697570_thumb.jpg