Another Couple Of Farang Motorcycle Deaths!

highonthai

Went to my shop today and was informed that an American was killed last night in CM due to a motorcycle accident.

Then went down the street to eat and just missed another bad one in front of my local market. Older farang and his Thai wife hit by a car she pretty bad off, But everyone one was telling me he had died. I only saw the aftermath/paint outlines.

My friend 4 days ago, now thease two. Wow!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not safe out there...period

Indeed. Just in our small town we have had four fatalities in the ex-pat community this year. Three of them were wearing helmets.

The last guy was found on Monday morning, in a ditch, with a broken neck.

For sure. My best friend was just diagnosed with stomach cancer.

Hope they caught that early enough to treat. For some reason stomach cancer is very high rate in Asia. I have heard it speculated its because of salty food diets or smoking. Perhaps it's just Asian genetic issue. There have been some recent studies that show a link of air pollution and stomach cancer. Any theories?

On a side note for those of you who might be astrologically inclined it is currently the Mercury Retrograde where bad things are more likely to happen. The current Retrograde started on Sept 24th and ends October 15th. Perhaps its a good time to stay off the roadways. Historically there have been a lot of financial crisis occurring on R-G's such as the Financial Panic of 1907.

I don't follow the Astrology stuff but various traders even on CNBC have pointed to the R-G as to market chaos. Superstitious natives' food for thought.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Indeed. Just in our small town we have had four fatalities in the ex-pat community this year. Three of them were wearing helmets.

The last guy was found on Monday morning, in a ditch, with a broken neck.

I had 5 "fender benders" my first thee years in Thailand. I am very lucky to be alive, as one of them was an encounter with a fully-loaded, speeding dump truck. Four of the the accidents were my "fault" (self-imposed guilt). Not because I disobeyed a Thai law, but because I didn't think like other Thai drivers. I arrived here obsessed with my sense of "right of way." (No such thing). I guess it takes a good 2-3 years for a lot of us to begin thinking like Thais so that we learn how to flow with the traffic better, anticipate more of the typical hazards, etc. It's still dangerous out there, but it's noteworthy I haven't had an accident now in the three years following those early incidents. There's a learning curve that many of us don't recognize early-on in our years here.

but of course it is a bad thing to tell people to leave the bike at home before going out on the piss, just to remove the temptation of thoughts like "I have only had 2 beers, it is safe for me to ride home/around the corner/to the next bar!

The guy that died was a student at Payap University. His name was Andrew. He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. You would see him at school and he would go out of his way just to ask you how you are doing and to shake your hand. He was liked by everyone.

The accident happened yesterday after he took a final. He wore his helmet but there are some accidents where a helmet just doesn't help. I went to see him at CM Ram 1 late last night along with some of our other classmates. He was in a coma and seemed like he was fighting for every breath. The nurse said he would pull through. He died this morning at 1 a.m.

The mood at Payap International College was quite sad this morning. Payap has final exams this week. I took two finals on Wednesday and was a little worried before each test. This morning I took my accounting final and didn't care if I passed or failed. I will miss my friend.

There will be a memorial service tonight at 8 p.m. in the small community room by the chapel on the main campus.

Edited by richard10365

Not safe at all, true...when motorists use left signal light I always assume they'll turn right, call me paranoid but that's the way I am especialy when riding a bike.

Sadly, many of farangs in Thailand are first time bike riders or very inexperienced. You don't buy and learn to ride reasonably sized bike at ripe age of 35 and above.

My sincere condolences to family and friends of deceased.

Edited by CroBiker

I am hesitant to post this for personal reasons but GPDJohn went to town again late last night. Crashed the Vespa on the way home, in surgery as I write this at Ram...Many broken ribs, collapsed lung, split head, road rashes... lucky to be alive. Not really my place to report but anyone having a spare half hour or so really cheer him up if you stopped by after a couple days of stabilization.He was wearing the helmet though and sounds as if he was the lucky one. Condolences to those concerned....

Edited by bunta71

Too many foreigners in almost any expat community around the world seem to think they are invincible. Wrong.

Sorry to hear about Andrew. I didn't know him but he is just another of the dozens of expat motorcyclists I have known of that have bought the farm in Thailand.

Also sorry to hear about GDPJohn, but he has been advertising the fact that he likes to get on the Vespa and get on the piss. Hope he makes it through, haven't met the bugger yet and have been looking forward to doing so for some time.

I'm truly sorry about Andrew. makes it even more difficult when there is a name and a little background on the person.

Just came back from a small wake/drink with "Giser Mike's" (my friend that died a couple of days ago) wife and friends, Touching, but up beat.

Still no word on the guy today just South of the Ratchaphruek & cannal roads. Hope It's not someone I know...

I have a bar in the area and it would hurt even more if I have made his accaintance.

Also sad to hear the news about GDPjohn, hope everything turns out ok.

Edited by highonthai

Thanks for posting about GPDJohn, bunta71. I have not met him off the forum, but I know him here and like him. My best wishes to him for a quick recovery. Was he alone on the Vespa or did he have a passenger? If the latter, how is the passenger?

Still no word on the guy today just South of the Ratchaphruek & canal roads. Hope It's not someone I know...

I have a bar in the area and it would hurt even more if I have made his acquaintance.

Also sad to hear the news about GDPjohn, hope everything turns out ok.

The elderly man who died yesterday on the spot on Canal Rd. was my friend Siegi Berger.

He has lived his live always enjoing a laugh, was singing old Spanish songs (he mother was Spanish) and was a great entertainer with a good heart.

He was born in Spain in 1933, that made him to live 75 years, but Had to die because some idiot driver shot him with his/her car. Another case of just come out of the smaller road and not looking at the traffic on the main road. I am not sure if it correct to call this an "accident" or "killing because being to lazy to look on the traffic".

Siegi was a motorbike freak, riding almost every day around Hangdong or went to the city (he was on the way to the hospital to get his eyes examined when he was killed). He had his wife on the bike, I heard that she will survive but is hurt seriously.

What a loss to his wife and step daughter here in Hangdong, to his family in Germany and his many (mostly Germans and Thais - Siegi was not very good in the English language) friends.

Siegi, because of his outstanding personality, will be remembered from us for a long time. I do hope that because of this incident, there will be a change in driving behavior from all of the people who hear about Siegis death. At least it should bring people away from riding bikes and let them use their cars more.

Please, everybody reading this, be more careful, drive slower, expect the other drivers making mistakes, be concentrated when driving.

Quick update on GPDJohn...He is still torn up inside w/the broken ribs and collapes lung, They put a tube in to try to inflate the lung but not working yet. He is dealing with a lot of extreme pain now but would probably appreciate visitors in a day or two. He is in loom numba 1002 at Ram on the moat.He was by himself and although he is Buddist, I'm thinking there was an angel following him trying to keep up with the Vespa. So the moral is: Never drive faster than your angel can fly... I will go back in an hour or so and convey the nice things said by all.

Edited by bunta71

Whats happening out there? Maybe it is this mercury retrograde thing.

My condolences to the families of Andrew and Siegi.

I have met GDPJohn on a couple of occasions and only PM'd him yesetrday about meeting up next week

for a meal...Thanks for the post Nienke and I will endevour to see him soon when he is stabilised,

pass on my regards please.

Richard

The guy that died was a student at Payap University. His name was Andrew. He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. You would see him at school and he would go out of his way just to ask you how you are doing and to shake your hand. He was liked by everyone.

The accident happened yesterday after he took a final. He wore his helmet but there are some accidents where a helmet just doesn't help. I went to see him at CM Ram 1 late last night along with some of our other classmates. He was in a coma and seemed like he was fighting for every breath. The nurse said he would pull through. He died this morning at 1 a.m.

The mood at Payap International College was quite sad this morning. Payap has final exams this week. I took two finals on Wednesday and was a little worried before each test. This morning I took my accounting final and didn't care if I passed or failed. I will miss my friend.

There will be a memorial service tonight at 8 p.m. in the small community room by the chapel on the main campus.

"He wore his helmet"

I don't want to denigrate this thread but what sort of helmet ?? Was it one one those 100 Baht things or was it a real helmet.

By that I mean a Shoei or something of that standard.

There are only two thai visa members (in Chiangmai) that I know who wear a proper helmet.

If your helmet is one like the Thai's wear, you are gonna live like a Thai AND you are gonna die like a Thai.

As the bar girls say "up to you"

Edited by john b good

So sorry to hear about all these deaths and accidents, Just today, I rode down a very, very familiar and narrow soi to the 7-11. On my way back, I got to the dogleg and proceeded straight ahead at about 10 kph, literally in the gutter, up against the wall. Then I stopped. No, not good enough. A middle aged Thai man, driving an old pickup truck less valuable than my bike, took up my entire side of the soi and literally smashed into my bike. We both just stood there staring at one another. I saw the damage was superficial, and went on my way. Later on the way home, I was in the left lane on Huay Kaew and came about an inch from being sideswiped by a big late model truck that did not bother to see who was in the left lane. I am extra careful, knowing I am half blind. These drivers are intentionally blind.