Transfering Money From Thai And Aussie Bank

the exchange rate with the aussie dollar is spiking, and i'd like to transfer some money via my bangkok bank account to my commonwealth bank account in australia.

i just phoned their customer service and it sounded fairly straight forward - just give them the receiver bank account details and send. the next bit wasn't so clear though. they said that it would be changed according to the australian exchage rate when it arrived in the account 3-4 days later. they then said that it was possible to get the onshore, local thai exchange rate too. mai kao jai.

basically what i want to know is this - can i just go into the bank, give them my commonwealth account details (presumably after showing them my passport/work permit/bank card) and transfer the money using the current exchange rate, knowing exactly how much it will be when it gets there. or, will i transfer the money then find myself waiting to see how much it will be according to the exchange rate in 3-4 days time?

any other things i need to know about doing this in thailand - i.e. the first service person asked me why i wanted to send the money. i said it was none of her business, but is there a 'correct' answer to this question?