Honda Cb 1300 Vs Honda Vtr 1000

gobs

Hi friends!

Ok, first of all, yes, here in LOS, I'm pro Honda...

I have already one Honda CB1 (very funny around town) and a Honda XR 250 (very funny out of town).

Now I'm looking for a bike in the idea of touring with a passenger and some luggages, here and there in (and out) Thailand, but I would like some good torque to, from time to time, have a good play on the road and get something under the hand if needed...

So, I would like to give the step in something a little "big". The CB 1300 and the VTR 1000 (bikes I like both) seems to meet my budget (150 KBahts to 200 KBahts) speaking of good second hand bikes for the years around 2000 WITH TRUE PAPERS (tabien lot).

What are your advices, friends?

Thanks

Gobs

Hi CroBiker!

Well, I'm from the "old school", you know. So I do like to see/look at the engine on a motorcycle.

For me a bike is an engine between two wheels! I do like too clean, adjust and fix (when I have the right ability!..) engines and bikes by myself, and yet the V4 is enclosed in a plastic box... as well as all the stuff!

In some places in Europe, bikes like the st 1100 and others, are called "tupperware bikes" :o .

But!.. And that's a BIG BUT...

It's quite obvious that for touring, the ST 1100 Pan European should be a great bike... and I didn't think about it at all (see why above!) till now you are speaking of it. So thanks a lot, CroBiker!

It seems now you just point a (maybe) good idea... that is slowly growing in my head!

Yes, why not? Furthermore, I suppose the riding to be more comfortable for the pilot AND the passenger, with the big saddle, the footpegs at the well balanced place, and the shocks specially adjusted for the touring... What is not really the case for both VTR and CB, I confess...

Mmmmmh!..

Yes, CroBiker, you put me in doubt suddenly! And that's a good thing IMHO...

OK, I'm not in a hurry, and just begun the search... I'm going to google ST 1100 to know a bit more of the bike.

For your part (or others...), some more advices about the ST 1100? You know the bike? You have rode it? Your feelings...

Thanks and cheers

Gobs

No, Honda Blackbird 1100XX was at one point fastest production bike on planet until Hayabusa 1300 GSXR came into picture. I think they held this record for few month only. It is not touring bike at all.

Honda%20CBR1100XX%2099%204.jpg

Yes gobs, I tried ST1100, belonged to friend of mine. It is nice bike for long distance, no severe back pains. It is fairly comfortable. Personaly, if I were to shop for touring bikes I'd go for one of these 2:

Kawasaki Concorse 14 or Honda Gold Wing 1800

Anyway, here are the specs for ST 1100 (2000-2002):

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Hon...00_abs%2002.htm

Kawasaki Concorse:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/concourse-14.php

Honda Goldwing - bunch of them:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Honda%202.htm

Edited by CroBiker

CB1300 every time given you mentioned the need for some occasional touring - it has a big seat for a pillion and the grunty lump won't be affected at all by the extra weight - VTR's pillion is strictly for ornamental purposes! And when you want to play, the CB isn't in the same league as the VTR on a track or smooth road, but on the average Thai (or UK!) road, the suspension is well up to the job of chucking it about...

I like the white & red paint schemes myself but it will all depend on what model (year) you are looking at...

CC

Edit: typo

Edited by Captain Chaos

Thanks to all!

Good advices from real bikers... And good links.

Thanks DotCom: but BB not for me! Nice bike and incredible specs (wow!), but not my "kind of bike". Do you try it allready? What was the feeling?..

Thanks for the feeling, CroBiker. I'm an addict to Honda, you know...

Thanks too 0mix1up. What you say is obvious... But I would like to make a "reasonable" choice... if possible!

"Occasional", Captain, is a word I get in head too! I don't ever think riding "all over Asia" till the end of my life! But some says passenger footpegs are "very high" on the CB 1300, so touring is not very confortable for the passenger (my spouse in this case!)... And I understand clearly what you mean about the rear seat of the VTR (glups!).

I know: nothing is perfect...

We have all to make choices, whatever it is, from the toothpaste we used daily to the Big Bike we dream of...

Cheers to all

Gobs

Hi gobs,

I've owned a couple of VTR's - my first one the day they were released, and second about a month after selling the first one - when I asked myself 'what have I done!' Fabulous motorcycle for playing on (easiest bike to do loooooooong wheelstands on!), but for touring and a bit of sports riding I'd (personally) go for something like a VFR750 or 800. They are comfortable (moreso than the VTR on which you need a bit of pace to keep the weight off your wrists), smooth, comfortable, and you can put saddlebags on them without breaking the sidecovers under the seat - yes, breaking the mounting tabs happened to both my VTR's.

Also, if you lke touring fast, then be prepared to stop for fuel often - if I really gassed up the VTR then it got worse fuel economy than my Jeep Cherokee! Even 'quick' touring you're looking for fuel every 180kms or so!

If you're wanting to play and don't care too much about the issues above, then between the CB1 or VTR the VTR would be my choice - I still miss mine!

Enjoy whatever choice you make!

Hi guys.

We miss our honda vtr 250cc too!

It was stolen by a mechanic shop when we left it with them for repairs.

They started to ask us about repainting the motorbike and then they started to talk about that they had a farang who wanted to buy it.

After coming to the shop, asking for our bike 5 different times they finally said they SOLD IT!

We never saw our bike in the shop any of the times we asked for it.

I was mad like crazy, we still had the green book, but I kept my face.

We contacted the tourist police and it is all sortet out now.

The thing is that I am VERY sure of that there is NO farang buyer. They wanted it for themselves.

They got the bike for a lot less than it is worth, and I still feel very sad about loosing our VTR, this way. Would have wanted to "break up" with it in another way.

We rented it for a week first at our engagement-trip 3 years ago and the year after we moved to Thailand. Rented it for 2 months and after a while we bought it.

This is what it looked like anyway:

Laitan312.jpg

When the Honda Blackbird came out as said it was the fastest bike you could buy. Then Suzuki brought out the Hayabusa wich was faster. What a lot of people didnt realise was the naming of the Suzuki was aimed at the Honda bike. A Hayabusa is a Japenese bird of prey, similar to a peregrine falcon, which eats blackbirds. :o Brilliant :D I also used to love telling Blackbird owners I bumped into at bike meets that my bike had more torque at tickover than theirs had at 7250 rpm. Still an all round good bit of kit though. I now prefer a more upright position for long journeys.My R1 and sports bike days are behind me though if Thailand had a few more racetracks I would love one as a track bike again :D

When the Honda Blackbird came out as said it was the fastest bike you could buy. Then Suzuki brought out the Hayabusa wich was faster. What a lot of people didnt realise was the naming of the Suzuki was aimed at the Honda bike. A Hayabusa is a Japenese bird of prey, similar to a peregrine falcon, which eats blackbirds. :o Brilliant :D I also used to love telling Blackbird owners I bumped into at bike meets that my bike had more torque at tickover than theirs had at 7250 rpm. Still an all round good bit of kit though. I now prefer a more upright position for long journeys.My R1 and sports bike days are behind me though if Thailand had a few more racetracks I would love one as a track bike again :D

Oh yeah, folks in Europe in USA knew about that advertising gimmick "Hayabusa gonna eat the Blackbird", there are many jokes out there...hayabusa is Japanese falcon, they (Jap air force) also named some of their fighter planes after this bird.

Many folks expected Kawasaki would come up with similar name since introducing fastest bike in 2006 but they just settled with Ninja ZZR1400/ZX-14. :D

Hi friends!

I'm coming back... Cos' I feel a little lost after friends adviced me and after had some search on specific forums here and there.

So, some say better to choose a Yamaha XJR 1200 or 1300: more comfortable, torque in low rev, better for the passenger... even if the frame is not at the top.

Others say better the Suzuki GSX 750 or 1200 (1400 out of my budget, too new)...

Others tell me why not one 1200 Bandit? Punch and straight!.. More the fun.

And, "cherry on the cake", a friend called me from Europe and said, you know what?

GO FOR A HONDA 750 AFRICA TWIN, if you can find one!

With this one, you can do everything you want, and go everywhere you want... Touring, solo/duo, highway, city, trails... It's the perfect one-in-all, if you forget the "racing" side...

And thanks, Fatmal, I forgot to speak about the advice of the VFR 750 or 800. Great bike one said... But for me it seems like a "sport bike" with all this "plastic". Is it or not?

I found some ads here in LOS (but not checked). You can get a legit VFR 750 for under 100 KB...

Pfew! What a mess at the end!

I know, nothing can be perfect. But I feel that more infos you get, more in trouble you fall...

Between the pros and the cons, it's the nerves war!

Maybe I let my heart swing, as I used to do in Europe until now, and will make my choice by "coup de cœur"...

Thanks friends

Gobs

Thanks friends.

I found a XRV 750 Africa Twin for sale: 1XX KB legit...

But I "met" a Yamaha FZ6 brand new in a show room: 4XX KB...

And I'm beginning to love it...

The biker's life is a real mess!

:o

The FZ6 is ideal for Thailands conditions in my mind.. Tho I like the FZ6N naked version too much to get the faired. I came within a hair of bringing one in earlier in the year.

Watch out tho as word is the ER6 may be here next year at 300k or under.. Lots cheaper than the FZ6 for nearly as good.

Thanks LivingLOS,

Some friends here too say that 600 cc is the good figure for Thailand. Over, you don't really take advantage of it, because of the trafic in the city (though I live in CNX and not BKK), the quality of the roads out of the city and so on...

About the Kawi ER6, I read that it's not at all the same "behavior": 2 cylinders, low torque at low rev, good booster over 4500 rpm, and "hard" shocks, for "sport" riding... Well, the Kawasaki spirit!

The FZ6 is a 4 cyl., has torque in low rev, an a "linear" engine that burst only over 7000 rpm. And comfortable shocks and seat...

For otherpart, IMHO, the Kawi is "Star Treck" too much...

Yes, I know, 1XX KB up for the FZ6... That's a lot.

Cheers,

Gobs

My buddy will take delivery of his FZ1-(1000cc) on saturday. He paid 220,000. I'll let you know what year.

Finally I'll have someone to go on road trips with this V-MAX I am babysitting. 0-60 mph in 3 seconds.

It's a 2003, Red, we took them out for a cruise. It has only 3,000 kms on it.

I had it going 180 today. Major kick in the butt. What a sweet bike, I would take it over a CB1300 any day.

He said he gave the guy 10k to change the name in the book. The dam_n thing has a number plate of 555. Gonna change that.

Wow! IMHO, your buddy made a good deal dotcom...

Brand new on street, the FZ 1 is quoted 5XX KB. Quote from the seller here in Yamaha Big Bike shop in Chiang Mai. You know, that's something like a 300 KB down for 5 years ans ONLY 3000 kms!..

OK, 555 no good!

I can ask you were he bought it?

Particular or shop?

Cheers,

Gobs

For some fun and touring I would only look at one bike, the VFR 800... Best touring bike ever...

For pure fun with speed, Kwak, ZX12R

The new ER6 will be 280000B, very good numbers, the Fazer is 470000B... at least those are the numbers I got from my dealers...