Buying A Used Car - Anyone Used Cartrust?

I'm about to buy a 96 Volvo 850 for a fair price. Has anyone ever used a car testing company called CarTrust?

It's basically a couple of chungs on a motorbike who will come out and check if your car is a lemon before you part with your hard-earned cash. They'll hook in a computer and check error codes - all in all, I've been told they will spend about an hour on giving the car a once over. It looks similar to TestCar but they come to you or wherever the car is on an orange motocycle.

I know nothing about cars so this seems like a great idea. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had good or bad experience with this company.

Cheers.

Hi,

i use them both and except that CarTrust come to you all the rest they do is crap, as they do visual check and all the laptop they use is a software to read error code of the car witch you can do in every small garage for 100 baht, this company is trying to push you insurance and also offer you financing.

Testcar is only doing car inspection the really check your engine they even run it on Dyno to check the output of the engine they use machine to check you brakes and shock absorbers and the highlight of there service is a laser scanner to check your chassis so you don't depend anymore on trust anyone to know if the car was in collision or was build from 2 cars.

i use only Testcar as after their report is precise and easy to negotiate with the car dealer to reduce price base on what really need to be fixed or replaced.

hope its help you!!!

Cheers!!! :o

I used cartrust once but i thought they didn't do a good job. they used something to check my car by could not tell me how is the engine or chassis. I got only picutures of my car have some scratch that I could see by myself.

One of my friend told me to use testcar... it is very good they can check chassis is ok or not. becuase I worried about big car accident. and I bought that car.... happy!!!

:o

Thanks for all your comments. It's very interesting to hear your experiences.

I actually went ahead and used them yesterday and thought they were pretty thorough but, of course, they don't have the same thoroughness as TestCar because they don't have access to the equipment as they come to you. That was the main selling point for me. I chose them mainly because I didn't think I could persuade the owner of the tent to let me have the car for two hours.*

Afterwards, I got a 12-page report by email and didn't get the insurance or finance selling push but I did notice that was mentioned on their website. It cost me 2000 baht, which was a special promotion for a one and a half hour check-up.

I doubt that Testcar and CarTrust are actually selling the same service but, overall, I was happy that I got what I was paying for. I'd recommend them if you want a quick check-up and peace of mind over major things but I'm only parting with 230,000. If I was spending more for a Japanese car, say, then I would probably go to TestCar.

*In the end the tent owner asked me why I didn't go TestCar which is only round the corner for me (I'm in Pattanakarn)! He also told me the reason that most dealers were reluctant to allow the vehicles to get tested wasn't because they were shady but because they didn't want to pay for the test. My assumption would be that if you make it clear that you are willing to pay for the test yourself (and I would expect that anyway, for an unbiased opinion, but this is Thailand) the tent owners would be happy for you to do it unless they've really got something to hide. In fact, several tents I saw displayed a TestCar poster. I also learned that they get a better rate if you do it through the tent. My guy said TestCar would charge him only 3000 baht but I would have to pay for it (the caveat being does this negate the independent unbiased angle). I, myself, was quoted 4800 baht by TestCar.

Cheers.

Hi,

i see you are not familiar with cars so basically and long report that someone will give you with all kind of things will basically will look for you a great deal, however if you will need to fix your engine in Volvo in the next few months as no one really check your new car or if you need to change your suspension or anything in your gear box you will see and understand what is the difference between visual check and real equipment check.

regarding the price you are wrong as they charge me 3200 baht for 2x4 +800 for the laser check of the chassis and they also have all kind of promotion from 500baht to 40% off its depand where you hear on them.

The Car dealer still afraid from this new concept as in the moment you have real results you will cut their price so they still trying to avoid it, however as someone that live here for 12 years its just matter of time that everyone will use this kind of services.

Enjoy your new car...

Cheers

All these test are not hundert procent proof. How can you check for example a "camshaft" in a engine, or "clutch plates" in a automatic transmission???. Ho w could you check a engine with timing chains and poulies??? How could you check a waterpump housing at the engine side, which could be oxidated and will start leaking water soon into the engine???. There are thousend things in a car, i could list you which you can't check by any computer. A professional welder will fix a chassis, that no one will never reconize a accident car. To check all parts of a engine or a automatic transmission you have to dismantle it in parts. This is impossible! Used cars are used. If you want a perfect used car, there is no such of perfect used cars availabile. Should buy a new one.

In the US i saw some "professional mechanic" they even rewire the check enginelights, if they could not find the problems. So the check engine light shows when you start the car and desapear. But never shows when the engine get faulty.

If you buy a used car, use comon sense and knowledge, not computers!!!

I agree with you on parts of the things, as if you fix car with electronic measuring device you will probably will get pass on the check but its should be like this, if someone use the manufacture procedure to fix the car its should be pass and not fail.

i also agree that there is no perfect used car, all used car have problems but using computerized system of any kind can find this problems and save you money when you negotiate with the seller.

and one more point regarding automatic transmission the LPS-3000 of MAHA which the company Test car use can detect slip in the gear long time before the most experience mechanic will drive the car and feel it... i was in this business in the UK and in the UK MAHA is a very strong company and have advantage for using this systems.

regarding water pumps and the rest no one can tell you when it will stop working but i am still sure that for normal person who want to buy used car this companies can saved allot of money and in Thailand people that reap you off on daily bases are the car dealers...

cheers

I agree with you on parts of the things, as if you fix car with electronic measuring device you will probably will get pass on the check but its should be like this, if someone use the manufacture procedure to fix the car its should be pass and not fail.

i also agree that there is no perfect used car, all used car have problems but using computerized system of any kind can find this problems and save you money when you negotiate with the seller.

and one more point regarding automatic transmission the LPS-3000 of MAHA which the company Test car use can detect slip in the gear long time before the most experience mechanic will drive the car and feel it... i was in this business in the UK and in the UK MAHA is a very strong company and have advantage for using this systems.

regarding water pumps and the rest no one can tell you when it will stop working but i am still sure that for normal person who want to buy used car this companies can saved allot of money and in Thailand people that reap you off on daily bases are the car dealers...

cheers

Not every cardealer is bad. Cardealing is a busiiness like anything else. Same with the realestate business. For example: I can't tell all real estate business are "rip off's" because some of them selling houses who start to crack aftewr 1 year even they sell new houses. It's all the same if you buy secdond hand. I'm in the car business for all my life and my parents and grand parents done the same business before. Sometime you have to consider when you buy new car you get 100% but you pay 100%. When you buy 10 year old used car it can't be perfect because it's used. You pay for example 40% but you still get 80%. Every used car need some repairs, like suspensions, driveshafts, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. Therefore they are used. If the dealer have to fix everything perfect, the profit will be gone or he have to rise the salesprice and the customer would not agree to pay more than at the competition. And there is the problem. Specially in Pattaya we have a lot of "cheap charlies" they want spend only 120'000 Baht for a perfect japanese car, not older then 7 years and not over 50'k mileage, driven by farang and this is in Thailand impossible. Therefore have to use common sense. Sometime the cars aren't that bad when you buy, but the mecanics gonna rip you off. I hear this many times: "Oh the AC broke down, they changed everything and cost me 30'k to fix it". This is typicly for Thailand. I personally never see that all AC units are broke down at the same time. Sometime ist's only a leak like a O- ring or a valve for a couple hundert Baht, but the mecanic say he changed the compressor, dryer, valve AC radiotor, AC fan, etc. and everything. Baisycly he no want to fix it, he want sell all the new parts to increase his profit. And so the customer talk bad about the cardealer. Everything can happen. today the AC works perfectly, tomorrow is broke down. This things cardealers can't see because they are not fortunetellers. Simular whit our body. Today we feel good, tomorrow we could be sick. I not try to save the car dealers. What i try to explane is: That not allways all cardealers are that bad as peaple say.

Daaaaa!!!!

This is why people need to use car inspection !!!!

so they will know what the buy, off course used car is used car!!! you can expect to buy used car with 0 problem the older the car is the more defects it will have.

but still using professional to check the real condition give you the customer better way to know what you buy or to avoid from very bad car or someone that wants to cheat you in this process.

Cheers !!!

sg1 = Shay Garini (SG) = TESTCAR OWNER = Smear campaign on CarTrust?

airforceone = sg1 = Shay Garini? (joined Oct 13th to give "user experience" to support sg1 and only 1 post in all forum since then)

Can you provide me with the details of the cars you checked + plate numbers. We'll check our database if CarTrust technicians ever checked those cars.

CarTrust has a refund policy call "Worry Free". If you can please verify, we'lll be more than happy to refund.

Since our inception, we only need to give 1 refund...to a TESTCAR technician who pretended to be a customer (we checked a BMW for him) and wants a copy of our report. When we found out and let him know, he made big noises and demanded a refund. (we saw his TESTCAR uniform drying in the garage when we deliver the report to this "customer" home)

TESTCAR is the representative of MAHA, i.e. you sell the machines as well. I'm sure they're credible, but not the only choice. Please respect others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hay Man,

I don't know this guy that you write on him and sg1 one stand for stargate1 the famous TV show, you have a big personal issues with him not with me. :o

sorry, they do better work then your company !!!

Cheers !!! :D

Before it denigrates to "He said, she said" lets just remind people that any decent company will give a 12 month guarantee their report is accurate or they will pay for the repairs. No bu11shit, just a easy to understand guarantee!

i got 2 month warranty or 2000 Km on the inspection i make in Test car.

2. We hereby confirm our guarantee of the car’s proper mechanical status according to the findings of the inspection. The guaranty is for a period of Two (2) months after the car was inspected, or for a distance of 2000 km. from the day it was inspected, whichever comes first.

Full ver. of the warranty : Test car warranty

i still think Test car done much better job from the visual check that Car trust made for me, i am also sure its more convenient that they come to you but its very limited service that they can supply, for the long run we probably will see more and more people use this type of services that are new for Thailand.

Back in the UK no one buy a car without inspection.

Cheers!! :o

i got 2 month warranty or 2000 Km on the inspection i make in Test car.

2. We hereby confirm our guarantee of the car’s proper mechanical status according to the findings of the inspection. The guaranty is for a period of Two (2) months after the car was inspected, or for a distance of 2000 km. from the day it was inspected, whichever comes first.

Full ver. of the warranty : Test car warranty

i still think Test car done much better job from the visual check that Car trust made for me, i am also sure its more convenient that they come to you but its very limited service that they can supply, for the long run we probably will see more and more people use this type of services that are new for Thailand.

Back in the UK no one buy a car without inspection.

Cheers!! :o

But we are not in the UK

As the OP, I mentioned I knew nothing about cars - in fact, I don't even drive so the basic peace of mind angle was crucial for me. I suppose it was like taking a mechanic friend along but without any bias. I wasn't expecting anything highly technical or a guarantee in case I bought a total wreck. T.I.T. after all. I was quite pleased with the service I got. They gave me an honest evaluation, a basic report and even recommended that I should spend a bit more time looking at other cars. In the end, it was advice, and I was able to make a risk assessment on whether to get the car or not. I did. I'm realistic - it's a 12 year old car.

If that's what you're after, then CarTrust was worth it, for me, anyway. I'm sure TestCar would also give a great, if slightly different level of service, which is reflected in the price difference, but even new cars nowadays aren't guaranteed to be problem-free.

They gave me an honest evaluation, a basic report and even recommended that I should spend a bit more time looking at other cars.

Its says all ... don't be wonder if you will spend much more money on fixing it and investing more to keep it going... Volvo is dam expensive in parts...

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
I'm about to buy a 96 Volvo 850 for a fair price. Has anyone ever used a car testing company called CarTrust?

It's basically a couple of chungs on a motorbike who will come out and check if your car is a lemon before you part with your hard-earned cash. They'll hook in a computer and check error codes - all in all, I've been told they will spend about an hour on giving the car a once over. It looks similar to TestCar but they come to you or wherever the car is on an orange motocycle.

I know nothing about cars so this seems like a great idea. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had good or bad experience with this company.

Cheers.

did you buy your volvo yet? if not I would strongly advise you to avoid buying older volvos, they are full with problems and are very unreliable...especially the models from around 95-98, they are expensive to fix and you will be fixing it very frequently... I use to own a volvo, and it was a nightmare, the newer ones are much better. If you don't believe me, check for peoples experience online...there are a lot for models in the 95-98 years. :o

Cheers.

did you buy your volvo yet? if not I would strongly advise you to avoid buying older volvos, they are full with problems and are very unreliable...especially the models from around 95-98, they are expensive to fix and you will be fixing it very frequently... I use to own a volvo, and it was a nightmare, the newer ones are much better. If you don't believe me, check for peoples experience online...there are a lot for models in the 95-98 years. :o

Buy a 940 instead of a 850, with a 6 cyl. Toyota JZ engine and you'll never have any troubles. 940 is rear wheen drive and much stronger than a 850.

Edited by stingray

Cheers.

I bought a car last week, and was initially thinking of using testcar, but had to give it up because it was practically too far. I could have used Car Trust, but wasn't very inspired after seeing the posts here. Eventually, I did the body check myself, got a local mechanic to give an opinion on the engine/transmission (200B/15 min), and got the tyres/suspension checked for free at Bquik! (Yeah, checks are free..)

Probably not as good as a laser scan and a dyno test, but that did the job for me. At least, I didn't need the dyno test after putting the car to test on the road. After all, what you need is a 0/1 result (good enough to buy or not), so most of the data from the dyno test goes waste unless you pay per horsepower. It might give you a sense of security if you no next to nothing about cars though.

I disagree with you as the HP of the car show you the condition of the engine as if the car don't have the amount of HP its supposed to have you can see the wear of the engine by doing the dyno test, impossible to evaluate this with driving in location like bangkok which is flat and the heavy traffic we experience here on daily bases.

congratulation on your new car... :o

cheers !!!