Thaksin's Passport Must Be Seized By British Govt If Allowed To Stay

george

Thaksin's passport must be seized by British govt if allowed to stay

BANGKOK: -- The British government must seize the passport of Thailand's ousted, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra if he and his wife are granted political asylum and stay in Britain, according to a senior member of the opposition Democrat Party.

Kasit Pirom, currently shadow deputy prime minister for the Democrat Party, said Mr. Thaksin is now considered under under British government protection after he had filed for political asylum although it is still under consideration.

A British newspaper reported last Monday that Britain's Home Office had confirmed that Mr. Thaksin and his wife Pojaman had applied for political asylum to remain in that country.

The couple left here in early August and attended the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Beijing. The couple then departed for London after skipping bail and failing to report for court hearings on corruption charges, prompting the court to issue arrest warrants.

Mr. Kasit, former ambassador to Washington, said Mr. Thaksin must refrain from using Britain as springboard in attacking Thailand while his passport and other important documents must also be seized by the British government to ensure that he would not travel outside of Britain.

He said the Thai foreign ministry along with immigration police and the interior ministry must consider documents relating to Mr. Thaksin's request for political asylum in Britain to be sent by the British government later. The Thai agencies must inform the British government that if it allows the ousted premier to live there, and that he must not use Britain as a springboard for attacking Thailand.

-- TNA 2008-10-12

'The Thai agencies must inform the British government that if it allows the ousted premier to live there, and that he must not use Britain as a springboard for attacking Thailand.'

As far as I remember, freedom of speech is practised in the UK. Unless he means using Britain as a springboard for some kind of Armada.

Thaksin's passport must be seized by British govt if allowed to stay

BANGKOK: -- The British government must seize the passport of Thailand's ousted, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra if he and his wife are granted political asylum and stay in Britain, according to a senior member of the opposition Democrat Party.

Kasit Pirom, currently shadow deputy prime minister for the Democrat Party, said Mr. Thaksin is now considered under under British government protection after he had filed for political asylum although it is still under consideration.

A British newspaper reported last Monday that Britain's Home Office had confirmed that Mr. Thaksin and his wife Pojaman had applied for political asylum to remain in that country.

The couple left here in early August and attended the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Beijing. The couple then departed for London after skipping bail and failing to report for court hearings on corruption charges, prompting the court to issue arrest warrants.

Mr. Kasit, former ambassador to Washington, said Mr. Thaksin must refrain from using Britain as springboard in attacking Thailand while his passport and other important documents must also be seized by the British government to ensure that he would not travel outside of Britain.

He said the Thai foreign ministry along with immigration police and the interior ministry must consider documents relating to Mr. Thaksin's request for political asylum in Britain to be sent by the British government later. The Thai agencies must inform the British government that if it allows the ousted premier to live there, and that he must not use Britain as a springboard for attacking Thailand.

-- TNA 2008-10-12

This is news? It's nothing but the predictable response from the official opposition to Thaksin's having applied for asylum.

Better head line: Democrat Party Orders British Government to Smarten Up.

I don't know where he would want to go. Other countries might decide to detain him, if the Thai gov't requested it. Could cause some major problems.

But Thai government does not request something.

Rakesh Saxena can't leave Canada as part of his asylum deal, the UK should have similar restrictions.

And "no springboard for attacking your former country" is also a condition for Russian refugees, one of them got in the news for talking about a coup to overthrow Putin about a year ago.

I looked into that coup story, the guy in question, Berezovsky, has left the UK on several occasions, and Russians made a lot of fuss about it. It appears that the exact terms depend on the judge, there are no standard rules.

If Thailand eventually get anti-Thaksin government, travelling can be made extremely difficult for him. I don't know if he likes these terms or not, it will be clearer after the court ruling.

Must say that if his brother in law is still PM it weakens his case somewhat. The panel will also be pondering the lack of an extradition application for his wife. I wouldn't take it as a given that asylum will be granted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Thaksin's wife a convicted criminal and isn't there warrants out for Thaksin's arrest? If so then they shouldn't have even been let into the country in the first place, send them straight back and once they have either been freed by the courts or served their time then by all means let them apply for for asylum.

Must say that if his brother in law is still PM it weakens his case somewhat. The panel will also be pondering the lack of an extradition application for his wife. I wouldn't take it as a given that asylum will be granted.

Disagree there, surely, recent events have boosted his already strong prospects of gaining asylum. His brother in law may be PM, but, as recent events demonstrate, he's leading a weak government, that's unable to maintain control, further satisfying the criteria for a failed state. By the way, as far as the failed states league table is concerned, Thailand are on the move - in the wrong direction.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

As far as all the people who fill the big, friendly but efficient, 3-year-old, outpatients' section at my Amphoe hospital are concerned, Thaksin attacked what was wrong with Thailand.

(OK, he pissed off those 'baddies' in Bangkok by pushing them away from the trough and getting his own and his friends' snouts in instead. But that's no skin off OUR noses. Plus there is a tendency too feel that "My enemy's enemy is my friend".)

I asked about how people were thought to be voting at the last Election and was told: "They not take Chuan. He not give hospital and he want to take our votes away".

Thaksin may have been little more than a shrewd populist (like Gordon Brown and David Cameron try to be) but, at least, he wasn't a Person Against Democracy----as my neighbours see Chuan and his ilk.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Thaksin's wife a convicted criminal and isn't there warrants out for Thaksin's arrest? If so then they shouldn't have even been let into the country in the first place, send them straight back and once they have either been freed by the courts or served their time then by all means let them apply for for asylum.

and how is it possible for someone to gain political asylum on a diplomatic passport, with all of its privileges, has it something to do with ones bank balance????

FROM TOC

SNAP UPDATE: Bahamas Has Granted Former Premier Thaksin Special Passport

UPDATE : 13 October 2008

There are unconfirmed reports that the Bahamas has granted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra a special passport. He's rumoured to surrender the Thai diplomatic passport to the Thai government to lessen the political pressure on current premier Somchai Wongsawat.

PM Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, is currently facing intense political pressure to resign or call for House dissolution. He appeared on TV last night to address the nation. Many political observers expected PM Somchai to announce his resignation late last night. But the premier insists he won't resign until the Constitution Drafting Committee has been established. The CDC will be responsible for overseeing the amendment of the 2007 Constitution.

For months the People's Alliance for Democracy has been calling for the Thai government to confiscate Thaksin's diplomatic passport. It's believed that Thaksin will soon surrender the passport in order to lessen the political pressure on his brother in law.

Why doesn't Thaksin just move to Australia, where he has a nice property overlooking Sydney Harbour ? I believe the's no extradition between Thailand and Aus so he should be safe there. If he stays in the UK he can be deported if his asylum bid fails. Why run the risk ?

Edited by coventry

The Thai govt, can revoke his diplomatic passport anytime they want. He would then ridiculously have to got the Thai embassy in the UK to get a new standard one, where who knows what would happen. Under the constitution, they can't refuse him a normal Thai passport. If he wants to apply for an investors visa, he has to start the procedure in Bangkok, and those rules are set that way.

He is hedging his bets that PPP won't last and that the next ones in will revoke his diplomatic passport. If he applies for asylum, he can then start the procedure of getting a Brit passport, which enables him to go pretty much anywhere, which a standard Thai passport definitely does not.

It isn't unheard of for asylum seekers in the UK to have to give up their original passport documents, but in this situation, it may up to the given judge to decide.

The Thai govt, can revoke his diplomatic passport anytime they want. He would then ridiculously have to got the Thai embassy in the UK to get a new standard one, where who knows what would happen. Under the constitution, they can't refuse him a normal Thai passport. If he wants to apply for an investors visa, he has to start the procedure in Bangkok, and those rules are set that way.

He is hedging his bets that PPP won't last and that the next ones in will revoke his diplomatic passport. If he applies for asylum, he can then start the procedure of getting a Brit passport, which enables him to go pretty much anywhere, which a standard Thai passport definitely does not.

It isn't unheard of for asylum seekers in the UK to have to give up their original passport documents, but in this situation, it may up to the given judge to decide.

RED:

They can because of the existing and legal Arrest Warrants! They need only to give an special travel document for to leave the UK directly headed to Thailand.

Cheers.

Why doesn't Thaksin just move to Australia, where he has a nice property overlooking Sydney Harbour ? I believe the's no extradition between Thailand and Aus so he should be safe there. If he stays in the UK he can be deported if his asylum bid fails. Why run the risk ?
k

I think the problem is, his wife would qualify for entry in her own right ( she has a criminal record) but he (Mr T) is still a clean skin (at this stage) or have they changed the entry requirement in Australia in recent decades. :o

RED:

They can because of the existing and legal Arrest Warrants! They need only to give an special travel document for to leave the UK directly headed to Thailand.

Cheers.

I stand corrected, so on that basis, he has absolutely no option but to apply for asylum and apply for a British passport, which could take a couple of years to process. As far as I know, investors visas have to be applied for in country of origin.

Question, when given a diplomatic passport in Thailand or anywhere in the world, does your "civilian"/standard passport become null and void? For instance, if Kofi Annan takes a holiday, does he travel on a diplomatic passport or can he choose to travel on his standard passport?

Thaksin may have been little more than a shrewd populist (like Gordon Brown and David Cameron try to be) but, at least, he wasn't a Person Against Democracy----as my neighbours see Chuan and his ilk.

It's not funny sir, it's the base of the great divide and certainly NOT helping "your folks", who ever they might be!

Taksin and his politics, if there where any genuine ones beside his populist "quick fix policies", were the worst Thailand has seen for long and the "great telecoms robbery" by far the worst corrupt cases any politician has pulled here so far, he made it so obvious, that first hardly anyone dared to believe it!

five arrest warrants, one for his wife, more to go!

That certainly taints his "Mr.OTOP, Mr.30 Baht, Mr. get a no strings attached credit", image a bit!

Cause after all, it doesn't look as if it was really out of selflessness or was it?

if YES, why the heck he had to flee then his beloved country and his before all, most beloved Northerners and Isaan Supporters?

Edited by Samuian

If the story regarding the Bahamian passport is true why indeed? Despite having very strong grounds for asylum (I believe it will be granted), personally, I'd be heading to Nassau.

'The Thai agencies must inform the British government that if it allows the ousted premier to live there, and that he must not use Britain as a springboard for attacking Thailand.'

As far as I remember, freedom of speech is practised in the UK. Unless he means using Britain as a springboard for some kind of Armada.

You have got no chance of that happening the UK government have got know idea what they are doing.How do you think Shinawatra and his convicted wife got through british customs in the first place.?

You try and enter the UK from Thailand with a criminal conviction against you .You would not have a chance of being allowed in .So ask yourself how did he get in the answer is money talks.

You have got no chance of that happening the UK government have got know idea what they are doing.How do you think Shinawatra and his convicted wife got through british customs in the first place.?

You try and enter the UK from Thailand with a criminal conviction against you .You would not have a chance of being allowed in .So ask yourself how did he get in the answer is money talks.

You're wrong!

At the time Thaksin and his wife was going to UK, there wan't outstanding arrest warrant's. That arrest warrant's were created later after they didn't appears to the court hearing.

Cheers.

The British government (or any government) will not seize a Foreign passport. The passport is a property of Thai Government, not Thaksin, hence UK government cannot seize it.

One can travel WITHOUT a passport. I have a neighbour who never had a passport all her life, but had travelled many time around the world (including Thailand). The residing country (UK) can just issue a "Certificate of Identity" to Thaksin, and he is free to go as he pleases. The only catch is that he will need to apply for a Visa for every country he visits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_identity

:o:D:D

The British government (or any government) will not seize a Foreign passport. The passport is a property of Thai Government, not Thaksin, hence UK government cannot seize it.

One can travel WITHOUT a passport. I have a neighbour who never had a passport all her life, but had travelled many time around the world (including Thailand). The residing country (UK) can just issue a "Certificate of Identity" to Thaksin, and he is free to go as he pleases. The only catch is that he will need to apply for a Visa for every country he visits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_identity

:o:D:D

He buys himself some lordship title including some rotten old ruins and he will be fine in his "class"anything goes - especially things "went through the roof" lately in Bangkok.

He now certainly can claim that it may be unsafe for him to return think that was what it was all abut in the first place - for now!

Not too long time from now, he may make a comeback and get "legally and democratically elected" again!