Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Internet Rate Pattaya

BigSnake

The Wife and I will be off to Pattaya tomorrow for about five days for some fun in the Sea and Sand.("A little drop of rain, a little grain of Sand make the mighty ocean and the pleasant Land") Now for those of you who live in the fun city of Pattaya what is the rate for one hour at the Internet Cafe these days in Pattya? I recall about 3 years ago I stayed at the Jomtien Beach it was Bt60 an hour(??) Would save all the fuss and just carry my Lap Top, but the son is home on leave from the Army so we will leave the Lap Top with him. Thank in Advance to any and all that can shed a little light on this subject. :D:o in Pattaya for this old Cowboy.

The Wife and I will be off to Pattaya tomorrow for about five days for some fun in the Sea and Sand.("A little drop of rain, a little grain of Sand make the mighty ocean and the pleasant Land") Now for those of you who live in the fun city of Pattaya what is the rate for one hour at the Internet Cafe these days in Pattya? I recall about 3 years ago I stayed at the Jomtien Beach it was Bt60 an hour(??) Would save all the fuss and just carry my Lap Top, but the son is home on leave from the Army so we will leave the Lap Top with him. Thank in Advance to any and all that can shed a little light on this subject. :D:o in Pattaya for this old Cowboy.

I have my own PC in my condo, so I don't use internet cafes any more, but I think that 60 Baht/hour is still about the going rate. If you are a little bit off the beaten track (I'm thinking specifically of Hiso in Jomtien Complex, near where I live), there are places that charge just 40 Baht/hour. No point in lugging a laptop here if you're just going on vacation.

If you're a Firefox user, there's a free add-on that allows you to take your bookmarks with you on a thumb drive so that Firefox in an internet cafe will have the same bookmarks as the version on your PC at home. May be worth checking that out?

I think you may now have to show some identification in the internet cafes. This is a result of the new cybercrime law that came into effect in August. I have read posts on some boards saying that people are indeed being asked to show their passport or some other form of ID, but I don't know if this is being strictly applied everywhere yet?

Have a good trip!

(BTW, this should be in the Pattaya forum, not the Thai visas, residency and WP forum. I expect a mod will soon move it).

Edited by Guderian

how much you pay depends on where you are. On Walking Street you'll pay anything from 60 - 120 per hour. On Pattaya Klang there are plenty of places that are 30 per hour. If you want to go north of the Palomar and down one of the side sois off Pattaya-Baklua Rd there are several places at 20 per hour.

Then, in Tukcom there is free wifi access, if you can find a place to sit.

Buy a coffee and sit at a table and break out your laptop and check your email - 30 - 40 baht for the coffee.

how much you pay depends on where you are. On Walking Street you'll pay anything from 60 - 120 per hour. On Pattaya Klang there are plenty of places that are 30 per hour. If you want to go north of the Palomar and down one of the side sois off Pattaya-Baklua Rd there are several places at 20 per hour.

Then, in Tukcom there is free wifi access, if you can find a place to sit.

Buy a coffee and sit at a table and break out your laptop and check your email - 30 - 40 baht for the coffee.

There are several places with free wifi including Shenannigans and Lake Mabprachan Resort, stickman has a good list on his site.

The wifi at Tukcom is SLOW from my experience. Some of the realy cheap places of Pattaya Nakeua Rd have very slow lines. From 30B up you tend to get kind of acceptable speeds if the kids are not using it for games.

A number of the hotels will include wifi with their accommodation.

I am sorry to tell the tourist that wants to use internet here that the highspeed connections is very turbulent mostly and slower than the provider "promise"

It will take a long time before Thailand get a good broadband internet that have speeds between 25 and 100 MB/sec.

30 baht/hour all over the place. A few of the "nicer" places are a bit neater and have more modern PCs, but the performance is still the same. They all share the same internet drops or providers. Nice place on Soi 8 up the stairs across from sunshine is 60 baht/hour but drops to 30/baht hour after 11 pm? Some places have a little more software than others. For example if you need to download a WORD document or an EXCEL file, most don't have that, but some have Microsoft Works or some other emulators that will allow you to open those types of files. PDF adobe is fairly prevalent too, but not universal.

Soi Bukao has several 30 baht/hour shops. Nothing fancy but they do the job.

The gal in TOPs restaurant right there at the second road intersection named OM has 5 PCs that are fine. I have had quite a few beers sitting there at night when just unwinding and chatting with her. I think she is nice. Can grab a snack or some juice or some booze while there right up until 2 am when TOPS shuts down for a few hours. She may kick you out earlier if she is tired or wants to go home, but usually, if you are spending money by using one of her PCs she will stay there and stay open.

If the cost of internet is an issue better you stay at home, we have enough cheap charlies here already.

Pls dont make that kind of sentence at me because i am satisfied whit my life here but you maybe you seems to like a good economy

Hey, the guy was only asking a simple question, how much does internet connectivity cost? Shame on people for backhanded insults against that person. People have asked things like how much for the baht bus? That does not mean they are cheap. There is nothing wrong with asking what is reasonable or customary for something. If you want to pay 300 baht an hour for internet connectivity, I am sure any of the cafes would love you as a customer. Please do feel free to pay that each time you use it.

Who wants pocketsful of small change

Its those pockets full of small change which all add up and make a difference..

For the last year, I kept those 'pocketsful of small change' in a large moneybox. Opened it after just over a year, changed it at the local 7-11 and came away 25,000 baht richer. All in crispy 1,000 baht notes.

Whether the OP is asking about something which costs a few baht, or thousands, it does not matter. Money is money. IT ALL ADDS UP.

Average 30 Baht an hour ,depends on connectivity for speed of downloads

On soi 17 Pattaya there is one with 20 baht an hour and

superfast connections, fast computer and all the greatest

software like firefox 3 and opera.

at the corner of the 7-11 at Soi Bau khao(sp?) and soi lenkeenwon(sp?) there are two

excellent ones , one with adsl and hdsl, 5/1 2/2 across from sutus court

at 30 baht an hour.

Unfortunately the ones in Jomtien are either overpriced(1 baht per min )

or have poor connections and software...

First of all: I'm not in the Internet Cafe Business and will never do this. But how someone who owns a Internet Cafe can make any profit with a 20 Baht per hour rate, excellent connections, newest software (original because police would bring him to the justice if he use copysoftware), newest hardware, paying staff, rent, electric power, etc? Tis is a similar case when drivig a Taxi to air port for 800 Baht.

First of all: I'm not in the Internet Cafe Business and will never do this. But how someone who owns a Internet Cafe can make any profit with a 20 Baht per hour rate, excellent connections, newest software (original because police would bring him to the justice if he use copysoftware), newest hardware, paying staff, rent, electric power, etc? Tis is a similar case when drivig a Taxi to air port for 800 Baht.

Well maybe the internet cafe is not their main business - for example it is in a hotel.

Also soi 17 is cheap.

Firefox 3 is FREE software(opensource) . It is the latest, you can download it for free.

In some ways it is better than IE.

Maybe you are thinking of the OS(windows) which is not free.

I havent been in an internet shop for a couple of years now, however last time I used one the rates were 30 baht an hour. I recommend the 'Enjoy' internet cafe's on Soi Bua Khao.

Yes, they have reasonably nice shops on the rare occasion when I don't have my laptop along.

I've used that one as well.

30 baht per hour seems the prevailing price for most of them along Soi Bhuakow and environs.

If the cost of internet is an issue better you stay at home, we have enough cheap charlies here already.

If the poster isn't familiar with Pattaya it's a very fair question to ask what the prevailing price is and what spots are good.

You're not being a very friendly or helpful person by simply dismissing him as living on his last baht IMO.

You don't know him or his circumstances so you really shouldn't judge.

~WISteve

I agree. It is probably an oversold business. The one I frequent a lot on Soi 8 right next to sunshine up a few steps was owned by a young canadian "big boss". I saw him a few times last year. I suspect many are like beer bars. Always one being sold, always one being bought with new money.

Thanks to all for the Kinds and NOT SO KINDS replies to my question. We had a great time in Pattaya, looking forward to a return trip soon. I found a little shop Soi 8, for about Bt30 per hour, however as it turnout very little time for Internet(quick mail) busy :o:D:D:D Again many thanks to all.