Does Anyone Plan On Leaving Thailand

thailand_tom

I am retired with sufficient pension that I survived with no problems when the baht strengthened to 31 to my dollar. But it is quite difficult at age 55 or 60 to pick up stakes and move across the world on the assumptions of a ten-year chart that can go either way. So, many have made the move, having perhaps a 20 to 30 percent cushion. Then they have to stay here for another 15 to 29 years. Currency rates fluctuate, inflation rages, unforeseen things happen. What are they supposed to do, move to Cambodia, live beneath the bridge like a troll, or return to their very expensive homeland?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But while you were at it., it seems that you could have defended your "It's those who haven't planned enough to remain in Thailand, the issue on leaving Thailand is not one of choice but of a necessity." .. except that you seem to be unable.

What's to defend? Or are you suggesting we should ignore the fact that guys who failed to get their financial planning right are now heading for the airport.

I have consistantly advised guys asking about moving to Thailand that they should get a financial plan in place and get idependent financial advice - That their tenure in Thailand is based on finances and nothing else. This against many others who are only too happy to advise guys to live today and forget about tomorrow.

Well tomorrow has come early.

'Don't let a mid-life crisis turn into a late life disaster'

I am retired with sufficient pension that I survived with no problems when the baht strengthened to 31 to my dollar. But it is quite difficult at age 55 or 60 to pick up stakes and move across the world on the assumptions of a ten-year chart that can go either way. So, many have made the move, having perhaps a 20 to 30 percent cushion. Then they have to stay here for another 15 to 29 years. Currency rates fluctuate, inflation rages, unforeseen things happen. What are they supposed to do, move to Cambodia, live beneath the bridge like a troll, or return to their very expensive homeland?

Going back to the States is not neccesarily a good option any more. There is a new class of people there living in their vehicles in carparks. Some have quite good cars, and until recently considered themselves upper middle class, but have had to walk away from their devalued houses.

Some cities are opening up carparks and making them safer for the all nighters. :o

Going back to the States is not neccesarily a good option any more.

Some cities are opening up carparks and making them safer for the all nighters. :o

Hit the nail on the head for many im sure. Robinson Crusoed in Thailand. Its dam_n dicey in the UK, ive heard. And a scarier place to be broke than the US of A imo. My own parents have defaulted mort payments for the last year.

Plan B - start a farang targetted business. Hmm. hope they come. spanner not yet in works, although it would be for 2009 season.

Plan C - the return to farangland has a spanner in the works... no-one will be hiring.

Plan D - Go native.

Im going to have to answer, I am planning to leave Thailand, but i need to time it with a recovery back home.

That wont happen till next autumn - if then.

Robinson Crusoed. But hey! i have a roof over my head, and a lovely woman in my bed!

Edited by UKWEBPRO

This obviously affects you more if you rely on income from overseas. I bought my money (GBP) to Thailand at 70 to pound so on paper I've made quite a profit if I was to cash in now, so that would perhaps be the only incentive to leave. However I get a far higher return on my cash over here than in the UK so for now I'll be staying put. Hopefully the rate will continue the trend down to 50 and beyond (although I doubt this).

:o:D:D

Post is unclear. By cash I mean the money I've invested in property over here and the returns I receive (rent) - These are higher than any potential rent or bank interest in the UK.

Regarding the current downwards trend of the pound it might be worth noting the following;

''UK real estate values continued to slide as Rightmove House Prices shrank -4.9% in the year to October, the worst in 6 years. Rightmove’s commercial director Miles Shipside describes the current situation bluntly, saying “from an economic point of view, we've stared into the abyss.” Shipside continued to say rising unemployment will see the situation deteriorate further, forecasting “a lot of repossessions about to happen. The situation is going to get more severe.'' The pace of economic growth slowed to nil from the first to the second quarter, and the UK is widely expected to formally enter into recession by the end of this year. Companies have started to trim expenditure dramatically ahead of the leaner period ahead, pushing unemployment to 8-year highs. For the Bank of England, all of this invariably means interest rate cuts. Indeed, the market is currently pricing in at least 125 basis points in monetary easing over the next 12 months, exerting considerable downward pressure on the British Pound.''

http://www.dailyfx.com/story/market_alerts...4459664850.html

Historically movements in GBP/USD dictate the movement of the THB against the pound. With the pound expected to continue its downward trend against the USD we may well see similar movement against the THB.

I've been thinking quite a lot lately. For me, it's the bureaucracy surrounding my visa .. reporting, etc. The uncertainties don't help and not being able to buy any damned house / condo I can afford ..

Right now I have Chile in my crosshairs. Much more stable than Thailand, which is important at my age. Incredible range of landscapes and temperatures in which to live. Much easier residency.

Perhaps you should consider Cambodia. It's cheaper than Thailand and it may be easier for you to get a visa. Plus if you want some decent food you can just nip over the border.