Chum Phae

GungaDin

I'll have 3 nights there in late Nov.

I was going to hire a car in Udon but Lek car hire cannot be bothered to reply to emails, I'll get one in KK

What is Chum Phae like to live in, on a score out of 10? :o

Any houses for rent? (Min 2 aircons & a bit of land)

Khun Andy?

GungaDin,

I like it. I live 30kms out of town and its just enough distance to rein in impulse binge drinking :o There are a few small restaurants and farang type bars in town to get to know the local ex-pats and drop in for a yarn when things are quiet.

There seems to be houses of your description for rent, the expat school teachers dont seem to have any trouble finding air con accomodation. Alternatives are long term hotel rooms in the few new establishments that have popped up.

Downside, there isnt much of a "darkside" and if there was your GF would probably know in 5 minutes if you visited there.

I would give it a 7/10...of course it depends on your partner as there are not too many places to escape to after a barny.

I will be home when you come up. PM me and I will shout you a beer and introduce you around a bit.

Where abouts in Central NSW are you from? And where is your GF's village from Chum Phae?

Top Car rent in KK is good, he looked after me very well until I bought the pick up

Andy,

7/10 sounds good.

I checked rentals at FBI in Udon and there were only 3 houses listed, all only had 1 aircon !!!

My last house in Thailand had 5, yes, 5.... my power bill was more than the rent.

I'm effected by humidity a great deal, I'm in Coffs and weather is perfect, people great,

but as lively as a drink with Krudd.

Do you have a link to Top car hire, I tried googling it without success.

Check yr PMs later today.

thanks for responding. :o

gd

Andy, send me the GPS coordinates of your favorite watering hole in Chum Phae and I'll join the party to meet GungaDin. We have a new watering hole in Nong Hin. It is located on the corner of 201 and the road that goes west toward my house.

GungaDin, I live about 85 kilometers north of Chum Phae. North of Chum Phae is much more scenic. Very little farang oriented things but the mountains are beautiful.

Thanks Gary.

It'll be good to put faces to the names.

Last week in November.

I have been offered a good deal from a KK car hire firm.

I'll come up on the train and have 2 nites in KK and then drive over to CP

Finally made contact with Lek, good deal, but using KK as a base makes more sense.

I hope farmerjo can join us in CP. :o or anyone else for that matter.

I know there's a Swiss retired guy in Chumphae. he posts on TF occasionally.

Also, there was a post about cycling and several foreigners from Chumphae were keen to meet up for a cycle.

We are in Ireland now but have a place in Ban Chaiso a few miles from Chumphae on the KK road.

In my opinion Chumphae has a good market but I'm happy enough to stay in the farm or village.

Nice to know there's an increasing Farang community. More likely for us all to find people we get on with.

Hey, room for one more? I'm back in 12 days ...but who's counting.

Why not! The more the merrier. :o

Any Aussies in the area?

I hope Lickey can come down, but realise that it's a long haul for him.

(bring some Tamarind & fruit if you do) :D

Hey, room for one more? I'm back in 12 days ...but who's counting.

Andy, When will you be home?

Hey George,

I will be home in 10 days , parents, daughter and grandson are coming up for 10 days. I will go to Perth from the 11th Nov to 20th Nov then back at home with another crowd until the 6th Dec.

Brother, wife and nephews are coming for a few days late Nov. Must be something in the water. It will be good to bend the elbow again and put solving the Worlds problems in the "can wait" basket or should that be the "after 6 Leos" basket.

Sid may be around at that time as well which should satisfy GungaDins appetite for Aussies.

Forgot to tell you that a new place has opened on the corner opposite Elle's establishment. Nice decor and atmosphere, food etc. It is owned by the guy who has the mobile phone shop. He has done a good job.

See you soon old boy

Andy, send me the GPS coordinates of your favorite watering hole in Chum Phae and I'll join the party to meet GungaDin. We have a new watering hole in Nong Hin. It is located on the corner of 201 and the road that goes west toward my house.

GungaDin, I live about 85 kilometers north of Chum Phae. North of Chum Phae is much more scenic. Very little farang oriented things but the mountains are beautiful.

Hi Gary,

My favorite watering hole is at my place now the wife has opened the shop, mainly because I get two beers and a packet of smokes allowance a day out of the skinflint.

Good, spacious drinking holes are still a bit thin on the ground in old Chumphae but there is always somewhere to sit, as the time draws closer and George and I put our heads together we can sort it out...hope to see down my way soon for a beer and a show around.

There are a few new cheap rooms/hotels in town that have cropped up over the last 6 months so getting your head down in town is not a problem.

Coyote bars as well I have been told.

Andy

Edited by khunandy

Gazza, you're the man. :o

errrm, which are the bars, yellow?

The bars are shaped like a beer mug. Unfortunately the map people do a POOR job of keeping them updated. I suppose it's because they come and go so often. Don't worry, Andy has a supply of beer at his house. :D

Andy, is there a school about a kilometer east and then north of where you live? Also a gas station about a kilometer north and west? If so, I have the correct coordinates for your house.

Gazza, you're the man. :o

errrm, which are the bars, yellow?

The bars are shaped like a beer mug. Unfortunately the map people do a POOR job of keeping them updated. I suppose it's because they come and go so often. Don't worry, Andy has a supply of beer at his house. :D

Andy, is there a school about a kilometer east and then north of where you live? Also a gas station about a kilometer north and west? If so, I have the correct coordinates for your house.

Gary,

Yep, right on the money, google earth still shows rice paddy.

Andy

Gunga, yes it is a bit of a long haul for us, 200ks approx, and its a busy time with irrigation and planting salad ect,

The good news is our tamarind trees originated from near Phitsanuluk, so you should find the sweet variety in the markets late Nov/early Dec,

Its pronouced MAH KHAM WAN, just a reminder, the "ready pods" will be a light brown colour and sound hollow with a flick of the finger, but im sure if you ask, the trader will let you taste a couple.

Cheers, Lickey.

Gunga, six years from seed to producing fruits, our trees are 19 years old, 60 trees, we wanted to fertilse this year, but a big storm an high winds stopped us, the storm took off all the new buds, but they have recovered,

Last year, from 60 trees, we made 46,000bht and we did nothing, no labour, no vitiam, perhaps a better investment than rubber? hungry people cant eat rubber!

Lickey.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys i see you talking about chum phae i am thinking of going to live there as a second home so at the moment am only looking to rent.Same hard question all the time where can i rent a reasnable home there.I have a young girlfriend from just outside where her parents live its just a little to remote for me.I dont even know where they live is called to be honest if you come to the 2 main seven /11s ide turn down at the first one off the main road to the second one turn left there then follow to the end of that lane there 2 loins straight infrount of u i think thats maybe a school turn left thereabout 4 km more from there over the river is gps lat 16deg 28.55 43 min north long 102 deg 1.14.43min east can anyone come up with any rantal propertyies in this area chum phae is close enought for me at the moment but could do with getting out of here a days a month

Hi guys i see you talking about chum phae i am thinking of going to live there as a second home so at the moment am only looking to rent.Same hard question all the time where can i rent a reasnable home there.I have a young girlfriend from just outside where her parents live its just a little to remote for me.I dont even know where they live is called to be honest if you come to the 2 main seven /11s ide turn down at the first one off the main road to the second one turn left there then follow to the end of that lane there 2 loins straight infrount of u i think thats maybe a school turn left thereabout 4 km more from there over the river is gps lat 16deg 28.55 43 min north long 102 deg 1.14.43min east can anyone come up with any rantal propertyies in this area chum phae is close enought for me at the moment but could do with getting out of here a days a month

Surely your GF and/or her family would be bale to find you both somewhere to rent.

Sorry to say I didn't make it up to CP.

Farmerjoe got stuffed around by the airport closures and we couldn't meet up.

I still want to visit the area to suss it out but at the moment I'm trying to find a house near the Thonburi Market in Greater West Bangkok.

If you guys need plants, the whole area is one giant nursery, & about 3C cooler than BKK.

Try 13 44 49 01N 100 21 07 78E .....I hope I've written it correctly. :o

Please correct me on the format!

Surely your GF and/or her family would be bale to find you both somewhere to rent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all who live in Chum Phae or close to it

I live in the area also, just off the 201 at Nanongthum, I've got my house and restaurant / bar there

Would be good to make contact with anyone in the area

My GPS position is 16.72946 North, 101.933456 East

Graham

I live in the area also, just off the 201 at Nanongthum, I've got my house and restaurant / bar there

Graham

Looks to me like you are very far from Chumphae and pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Can a bar/restaurant survive in a village so far from other farangs?

Graham

Looks to me like you are very far from Chumphae and pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Can a bar/restaurant survive in a village so far from other farangs?

My bar / restaurant is not aimed at the farang market. It's targeted at the local Thai market it has done very well so far

As for middle of nowhere, it may seem like that to you as per the map, but there are a huge volume of villages here thus the population is quite dense, goes someway to explaining why Isaan is the most populated area of Thailand

Okay so here are a few pics

You will se that the bar area is under construction but It will be open for our new years eve party, I will hopefully have a live band playing as well. The bar has an eating area 3-4 tables for Moo Ka Ta and Jim Joom, a pool table area and a bar you can sit at. UBC and Karaoke with LCD TV is also available in this area

Outside we have 4 Thai style thatched houses which seat upto a maximum of 10 people per house, one of the houses is VIP with LCD TV, component DVD and Karaoke, the other 3 houses have mini component Hi Fi systems for music

If the live band is a success I may try and organize this on a regular basis

In the area there is no entertainment or proper restaurant / bar type establishments the nearest being Non Han or Phu Pa Man and thereafter further on in Chumphae

post-18769-1229675079_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675106_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675135_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675165_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675198_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675237_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675283_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675315_thumb.jpg

post-18769-1229675345_thumb.jpg