Kl Or Penang?

HI All,

Never been to Malaysia would like a 90day NON O from either KL or Penang,taking the wife for a short holiday too I thought leave sat back tuesday. Which would be better in your opinions?

any other advice regarding getting 90 day non o greatly appreciated too.

thanks all....

HI All,

Never been to Malaysia would like a 90day NON O from either KL or Penang,taking the wife for a short holiday too I thought leave sat back tuesday. Which would be better in your opinions?

any other advice regarding getting 90 day non o greatly appreciated too.

thanks all....

Also be greatful for hotel reccomendations ....

Personally I'd go for KL as it has more to do both day and night. Plenty of shops for the wife (could be a bad thing for the wallet though) and Low Yat mall if you want to pick up some compute stuff. Good attractions both modern (KL Tower, Petronas Towers) and older (Merdeka square), Chinatown (always an experience but watch for snatch thieves), Bangsar for restaurants, Golden Triangle and Asian Heritage Row for restaurants and nightclubs.

Can't help with hotels as I've lost my guide to KL but the area bounded by Jalan Bukit Bintang, Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Pudu has a good number of lower cost places. If you google KL hotels most sites have a map and if you aim for that area you are not far from most things. Sorry I can't be more helpfull, a penalty of being too helpfull and loaning stuff out. :o

Been several posts that KL is giving multi non-o's. Link for embassy website follows. Info for visa has requirements for locals plus confusing info on work permit stuff just ignor. You need just the basics of marriage certificate, wifes ID, and copies of all these and passport photo page and of course photos. Bank book just incase they ask.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur

Penang there have been reports of mult non-o's but using an agent.

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Penang

No. 1, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman, 10350 Penang, Malaysia

Tel.(604) 226-8029, 226-9484

Fax.(604) 226-3121,226-2533

E-mail : [email protected]

Edited by ubonjoe

If its not too late I'd make it Penang. Much nicer and loads to do. There is a thread on Penang already listing its attractions. I took my gf there for 4 days and she liked it. On my recommendation an Aussie friend took his girlfriend there and they both enjoyed it. Also has nice beaches not far from town. :o

If your wife is Thai no visa requirement. They just stamp you in and out for free.

Edited by Bangyai

If its not too late I'd make it Penang. Much nicer and loads to do. There is a thread on Penang already listing its attractions. I took my gf there for 4 days and she liked it. On my recommendation an Aussie friend took his girlfriend there and they both enjoyed it. Also has nice beaches not far from town. :o

If your wife is Thai no visa requirement. They just stamp you in and out for free.

I agree. Penang is a far nicer place to spend 2 or 3 days. KL is a huge, sterile, boring city with very little character. Penang has beautiful mountain areas, beaches and plenty of historical sites...plus some decent shopping malls if that's what you like.

One of my favourite things to do in Penang is renting a bike and circumnavigating the whole island. It's an incredibly scenic place.

Edited by tropo

I agree. Penang is a far nicer place to spend 2 or 3 days. KL is a huge, sterile, boring city with very little character. Penang has beautiful mountain areas, beaches and plenty of historical sites...plus some decent shopping malls if that's what you like.

One of my favourite things to do in Penang is renting a bike and circumnavigating the whole island. It's an incredibly scenic place.

Agreed , another must is a trip up the Penang Hill on the funicular railway. Very interesting. Also, for a small fee you can go up the tall sky scraper ( Penang Tower ? ) and enjoy magnificent views with a cup of coffee.. Then there is Fort Cornwallis and the museum. Finally, the population in Penang is more cosmopolitan and your wife may feel more comfortable walking aroung with a foreigner there.

Surely the purpose of this thread was to give advice on getting a visa rather than sightseeing. In my opinion, I think he would have more chance of geting a multi in KL rather than in Penang. In reading recent threads, I found KL to be more hospitable than Penang in multis. OK, Penang is more scenic than KL, but KL's worth it if you can get the visa of your choice for 1 year and not just 3 months from Penang!!

Anyway, as the saying goes............up to you :o

Edited by jamesjdaly

Surely the purpose of this thread was to give advice on getting a visa rather than sightseeing. In my opinion, I think he would have more chance of geting a multi in KL rather than in Penang. In reading recent threads, I found KL to be more hospitable than Penang in multis. OK, Penang is more scenic than KL, but it's worth it if you can get the visa of your choice for 1 year and not just 3 months!!

I only need a single entry I'll change for one year in BKK based on income...Thanks

If you go Penang, make sure to visit Kek Lok Si Temple.

And make sure eat lot of Indian food.

For Visa agent, I recommend Jim's Place close to Swiss hotel on Chulia street.

The best hotels are on Jalan Penang, make sure you don't get a room facing Jalan Penang. (Jalan=big street)

http://asiaforvisitors.com/malaysia/penins...enang/kekloksi/

If you go Penang, make sure to visit Kek Lok Si Temple.

And make sure eat lot of Indian food.

For Visa agent, I recommend Jim's Place close to Swiss hotel on Chulia street.

The best hotels are on Jalan Penang, make sure you don't get a room facing Jalan Penang. (Jalan=big street)

http://asiaforvisitors.com/malaysia/penins...enang/kekloksi/

http://jimsplace-penang.com/

Surely the purpose of this thread was to give advice on getting a visa rather than sightseeing. In my opinion, I think he would have more chance of geting a multi in KL rather than in Penang. In reading recent threads, I found KL to be more hospitable than Penang in multis. OK, Penang is more scenic than KL, but KL's worth it if you can get the visa of your choice for 1 year and not just 3 months from Penang!!

Yes, a good point. If you are NOT married to a Thai national, getting a 3 month Non Imm visa could be difficult as they have been a bit strict lately. However, if you are properly married., i.e you have a marriage certificate, you should have no problem getting a non immo. Make sure you take your marriage certificate with you and a photocopy of same.

As for the Swiss Hotel....a bit down market IMO. At the top of the street ( Leboh Chulia ) there are a few of mid range hotels. The Towne House Hotel is reasonable.

For picture check out www.penanghotels.com.my/ and see it in the budget hotels list. I've stayed there and found it better than the similarly priced Waldorf.

Get out of Georgetown and head for Batu Ferringhi (you can get the bus from Komtar tower). Really laid back, clean, beach resort. It can be very quiet, though.

Also, sorry, only just noticed that you want a 3 month and not a multi. Yes, Penang is great!! Go for it.

Edited by jamesjdaly

I fully agree with you, if the visa is the main purpose, go to KL it will be much easier to get

an O visa no matter what type, you might even get a multiple one like I did if you take your wife it will

make it even easier to optain one.

I only need a single entry I'll change for one year in BKK based on income...Thanks

I have been following your case and wonder what route for proof of income you have finally chosen. In one thread you were toying with the idea of setting up a company, in another thread it was suggested that your wife could pay tax on an income of 40k per month, if necessary even on fictitious income.

--

Maestro

I have been following your case and wonder what route for proof of income you have finally chosen. In one thread you were toying with the idea of setting up a company, in another thread it was suggested that your wife could pay tax on an income of 40k per month, if necessary even on fictitious income.

--

Maestro

I have decided to register a company, get a w/p and have one year non o (based in my income)

I have decided to register a company, get a w/p and have one year non o (based in my income)

Going this route you might want to get a multiple entry visa. Unless you have already started earning the income you might have to make another visa run. Remember you have to show tax payments for the previous 3 months.

Its far cheaper and easier to make a border run verses a visa run.