Chong Mek Border Crossing To Laos

I dont need a visa but I just need to exit Thailand

and re- enter. I am near Sisaket at the moment and I wondered

if any TV members have ever used the Chong Mek border crossing ?

And if you have any experiences good or bad from this crossing point ?

I have been there but didn't go all the way into Laos. Just the free zone before the gate. There is a visa on arrival office. From what hear there is no longer a free zone and immigration is now all set up on Thai side. At one time it was a popular place to go shopping had duty free and such. But Thais have stopped because they have to get a border pass now.

So in answer to your question yes you can get into Laos there.

There are some crossing to Cambodia also and the visa is a little cheaper than Laos. A lot of people from Surin go across to Cambodia.

You might try a duplicate post on the Isaan forum.

Edited by ubonjoe

I have been there but didn't go all the way into Laos. Just the free zone before the gate. There is a visa on arrival office. From what hear there is no longer a free zone and immigration is now all set up on Thai side. At one time it was a popular place to go shopping had duty free and such. But Thais have stopped because they have to get a border pass now.

So in answer to your question yes you can get into Laos there.

There are some crossing to Cambodia also and the visa is a little cheaper than Laos. A lot of people from Surin go across to Cambodia.

You might try a duplicate post on the Isaan forum.

thanks ubonjoe. I am inclined to foreget about Cambodia crossings right now

with talk of a war between the 2 countries because maybe they will close all borders

in this region ? :o

thanks ubonjoe. I am inclined to foreget about Cambodia crossings right now

with talk of a war between the 2 countries because maybe they will close all borders

in this region ? :o

That's a valid concern. Borders closed when the Khmers burned down the Thai embassy five or six years ago.

Yes, I've used the Chong Mek crossing, about 5 years ago and it was a breeze. No one stopped me at the border. Didn't even have to show a passport to anyone. Very strange.

I understand that the crossing now requires more standard-type procedures (read: show your passport, get a Laos visa upon arrival, stamp out and back in, etc.).

Had a little time so did a search for Chong Mek. Here's a link from Isaan forum its has newest info I could find and it is a year old. 2nd page has best info.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chong-Mek-Bo....html&st=25

Give us a post back and let us know how it went.

If you are taking wife/GF with you and they don't have a passport they will need a border pass to cross.

Joe

I've done about 3 crossings at chong mek this year.

It has been upgraded a lot in the last couple of years and is an easy day out.

If you want a Thai to cross with you they will need to take copy of ID card and photo and apply for a day pass.The office is on the right, about 50 meters before the car park.

I've done about 3 crossings at chong mek this year.

It has been upgraded a lot in the last couple of years and is an easy day out.

If you want a Thai to cross with you they will need to take copy of ID card and photo and apply for a day pass.The office is on the right, about 50 meters before the car park.

thanks again plachonubon and Joe.

Did you need passport photos for your visa on arrival to Laos ?

I have seen one visa website but it doesnt seem to mention

the need for photos - even though I know at Cambodian borders

they are essential ?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

If you don't want to cross to Laos at CHONG MEK can you tell me where is the next border ? And can I find duty free shops where it is possible to go shopping without stamping your passport ?

And can you give me more information about these duty free shops (chong mek or other), is the choice the same as what you can find at NONG KAI border (friendship bridge/many shops), and can you fin Snake wine there, the bottles of rice wine with a real Cobra snake or other creatures inside ?

Thanks!