Plane Engine Explodes On Take Off

cojones

Vehicles hit by debris from Cathay Pacific jet

Published on December 02, 2004

An engine on a Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300 exploded shortly after takeoff from Bangkok Inter-national Airport yesterday.

Debris from the aircraft’s left engine fell on a car and pickup truck travelling on the Lak Si intersection overpass, near the airport. The vehicles were badly damaged, but there were no injuries.

The aircraft returned to Bang-kok International Airport about 20 minutes after takeoff, landing safely. There were no reported injuries.

Deputy Transport Minister Vi-chet Kasemthongsri said that an engine on Cathay Pacific flight CX751 from Bangkok to Bombay had malfunctioned, causing a small explosion minutes after taking off from Bangkok International Air-port at 6pm. The aircraft was carrying 348 passengers.

Vichet said he had instructed Aviation Department officials to contact the Hong Kong authorities for details of what went wrong.

Pol Colonel Amnart Intarapra-sart, superintendent of Thung-songhong police station, said a part of the engine - about 1.5 metres wide and two metres long - had fallen onto the roof of a car and a pickup on the Lak Si overpass.

Smoke was billowing from the engine on the left wing of the aircraft when it returned to Bangkok International Airport.

Pol Corporal Paisal Charana of Thungsonghong police station said he saw sparks from the engine as it was taking off and then saw part of the engine fall from the sky. “After that the plane however kept flying as if nothing had gone wrong,” he added.

this is the 2nd Cathay Pacific engine to catch fire recently . one last week too

The 777-300 has nearly the same passenger capacity and range capability as the 747-100/-200 models, but burns one-third less fuel and has 40 percent lower maintenance costs. The overall result for airlines is cash operating costs one-third below early model 747s.

All three makes are more powerful than current engines and offer excellent fuel efficiency, while allowing the 777 to be as quiet as a 767, even though the 777 engines provide 40 percent more power. Key factors in this performance are new, larger-diameter fans with wide-chord fan blade designs and bypass ratios ranging from 6-to-1 to as high as 9-to-1. This compares to the typical 5-to-1 ratio for the engines of today's wide-body jets.

Burns 33% less fuel

Costs 40% less to run

Thrusts 40% more power.

Maybe it was a pidgeon in the engine.

:o

The 777-300 has nearly the same passenger capacity and range capability as the 747-100/-200 models, but burns one-third less fuel and has 40 percent lower maintenance costs. The overall result for airlines is cash operating costs one-third below early model 747s.

All three makes are more powerful than current engines and offer excellent fuel efficiency, while allowing the 777 to be as quiet as a 767, even though the 777 engines provide 40 percent more power. Key factors in this performance are new, larger-diameter fans with wide-chord fan blade designs and bypass ratios ranging from 6-to-1 to as high as 9-to-1. This compares to the typical 5-to-1 ratio for the engines of today's wide-body jets.

Burns 33% less fuel

Costs 40% less to run

Thrusts 40% more power.

Erm ....... not a lotta peeps knew that! :o

Last time I flew to LA, I flew Cathay Pacific - their departure times are more friendly that TG.

I have never felt so uncomfortable on a plane in my life - the noises it was making in response to turbulence were very disturbing - I'm a frequent flyer & I've had some hair raising flights but nothing like this.

About 4/5 weeks ago, one of their planes caught fire in LAX.

my recommendation - steer clear of Cathay - I think their maintenance guys are smoking weed.

Service on CX is going down. Safety? For nearly 60 years only one crash, caused by a bomb placed in BKK, allegedly by a police officer who put a beaaty case for his wife on board, containing the bomb. The case was dismissed in Thai courts as no witness saw the guy putting the bomb on, although some saw him carrying the beauty case which obviously hold the bomb. :o

The 777 has too many small problems, Believe CX is changing to airbus, hopefully for better safety.

Service on CX is going down. Safety? For nearly 60 years only one crash, caused by a bomb placed in BKK, allegedly by a police officer who put a beaaty case for his wife on board, containing the bomb. The case was dismissed in Thai courts as no witness saw the guy putting the bomb on, although some saw him carrying the beauty case which obviously hold the bomb.  :o

The 777 has too many small problems, Believe CX is changing to airbus, hopefully for better safety.

Orient Thai uses early 70s vintage 747-100s and has no accidents. Thai uses a nearly new 777 and it bloody near crashes.

Either way I think I'll stick with Asiana and the triple seven. Its a beautiful ride. :D

cv

I've been flying United on triple 7's for years from Chicago - Narita. Never a lick of trouble and IMO the ride is as good or better than a 747.

They tend to jump on type modifications pretty fast if they see a trend in an airframe.

Look to the first two most likely sources of problems first:

1) External sources. Birds, debris from the field,

2) Skinting on the maintenance. Somebody signed-off on it and went on coffee break.

So do you figure they recovered the engine parts or is in a scrap yard sold off by the kilo already? :o:D

~WISteve

So, it landed on one engine? Glad I wasn't on it! :o

Did you know a 747 can take off and land on a single engine... wouldn't want to try it though.

They can't.

They can fly light and land on two, drop out of the sky on one, but never take off on less than three. And lightly loaded on a much longer runway for three.

cv

An engine on Cathay Pacific flight CX751 from Bangkok to Bombay had malfunctioned, causing a small explosion minutes after taking off from Bangkok International Air-port at 6pm. The aircraft was carrying 348 passengers.

I guess that 348 people, plus the crew, found out the color of adrenaline. :D

I bet they also discovered the color of sh*t :o

just glad it land safely

I live near the airport so I'm just glad it landed there. :D

I am glad that it didn't land outside the door of your home :o

The 777 at launch was said to be the aircraft that boasted a Captain and a dog as the flight crew. The dogs job was to bite the Captain if he touched anything

The 777 at launch was said to be the aircraft that boasted a Captain and a dog as the flight crew. The dogs job was to bite the Captain if he touched anything

One always learns something new in here. I thought the monkey was flying the plane while the captain did doggy style. Ah forget it.

But the triple- seven is the one that give me most of the minor grieves.

Late departure due technical problems: 777

Malfunctioning of light, TV or seat: 777

Losing an engine over BKK: 777

Worst of all, runing out of champagne: 777

Perhaps the last one does not really count, but in my personal experience, whenever some problems came up it was a 777, for which BKK originally had no bay accomodating the long plane,i.e. bus to the terminal.

Actually, I like(d) the 747 but getting too old.

These days I am quite happy with an airbus A340-600

just glad it land safely

Please Explain a little bit more.You mean the dog had to bite the captain if he touched any thing.Does it include living or non living things? :D

just glad it land safely

No problem. I always turn the landing light off. :D Sorry, a bit of Brit humour.

I read this earlier this morning in the Nation. I work not to far from that location, and asked my Thai co-workers about this incident. They were flabbergasted! "We watched the news last night, didn't see anything about that." They were in disbelief that this happened until I brought in a copy during lunch. Must not be that big of a deal here..."Look mommy, theres a plane engine falling from the sky."

Tighter safety controls after aircraft part falls on rush hour traffic

BANGKOK: -- A normal journey home from work turned into a nightmare for a Bangkok resident yesterday evening when his car was hit by part of a Cathay Pacific airliner departing from Bangkok's Don Muang Airport.

Today Deputy Transport Minister Vichet Kasemthongsri promised more frequent safety inspections on aircraft over the Christmas and New Year period, following last night's incident in which a sheet of insulation materials from the Boeing 777 fell from the departing plane, crushing the roof of Mr. Mongkol Uthoksiri's car on the Chaengwattana Road.

No-one was hurt in the incident, and the airline has promised to compensate Mr. Mongkol for the damage caused.

Cathay Pacific executives today confirmed that all of its aircraft underwent safety inspections prior to takeoff, but conceded that faults could, sometimes, still occur.

Yesterday's flight to Mumbai, which took off at around 18.00hrs, returned to Don Muang Airport for an emergency landing 20 minutes afterwards when the pilot noticed that something was wrong.

Mr. Vichet said that he had ordered the Department of Aviation to ensure more frequent inspections of all domestic and international aircraft over the upcoming holiday season.

-- TNA 2004-12-02

pretty much all transoceanic flights are on two engine planes now as the older planes are being phased out. Planes have gotten more reliable. However, stuff falls off them all the time.

There is a man near JFK in NY who has this huge collection of things he has picked up. This only made the news because the part hit a car.

Notice it didn't crash. Notice it landed fine loaded with fuel, though some of that might have been dumped as well.

Your chances of dying going to and from the airport is much higher, but no where near as sensational a news story.

When Boeings was developing the 777 they ran the test engine at high speeds and tossed frozen Turkeys at the intake to see how the engine would stand up to bird strikes.

I saw a program on Discovery recently showing something very similar... they fired dead chickens, not frozen turkeys, into the intakes at the same speed as they would colide with an aircraft on take-off or landing. I think the blade they developed is called a 'flexiblade' or 'flexy blade' or something. They do not cause the engine to stall or fail.

*******When those Boeing engineers tossed that frozen turkey into that engine, it "gobbled" it right up...Afterwards they "combed" through the turkey parts and found about a "beaker" of left overs - Those engineers were for the birds and this experiment flopped, illustrating the need for the old prop airliners which can feather their props in such cases.

When Boeings was developing the 777 they ran the test engine at high speeds and tossed frozen Turkeys at the intake to see how the engine would stand up to bird strikes.

I saw a program on Discovery recently showing something very similar... they fired dead chickens, not frozen turkeys, into the intakes at the same speed as they would colide with an aircraft on take-off or landing. I think the blade they developed is called a 'flexiblade' or 'flexy blade' or something. They do not cause the engine to stall or fail.

*******When those Boeing engineers tossed that frozen turkey into that engine, it "gobbled" it right up...Afterwards they "combed" through the turkey parts and found about a "beaker" of left overs - Those engineers were for the birds and this experiment flopped, illustrating the need for the old prop airliners which can feather their props in such cases.

:o

If I recall correctly our resident expert on aviation matters, DaveYo has mentioned before that he works on 777 engines at BKK airport  :D

Dave - Whats the story?    Can you share any non confidential info?

Our Dave was a L.A.M.E. in the US of A. The very first opportunity for him to comment on something he might know something about, and he's A.W.O.L. :o