Need Some Guidence

Kringle

HELP

Is there anyone that would be willing to give me some help with how to use my pc. I'm still having error messages pop up (anything from virus protection turned off to it has to shut down due to errors). I restart and it works for a while and then the errors come back. I live in Bang Bua Thong and I'm willing to bring my CPU to anywhere close (Bangkok area) to see what's going on and maybe some quick lessons on how to do some different operations on it. Please PM me if you have some time to spare as I'm pretty flexible timewise so whatever is convenient for you.

Thanks to anyone that might be able to help. :o

Kringle

Are you using protection? :o

Bronco's spot on - some more detail will be necessary - starting with specifically which error messages you are getting. Which version of windows are you using? DO you regularly check Windows Updates for the latest patches?

If you want to have a go at cleaning things up yourself then follow these steps:

1. Turn off system restore if on (Control panel, System, System Restore tab)

2. Delete all files in Temp Directory and Temporary Internet Files directory (locatoin depends upon which version of Windows you are using)

3. Download Spybot Search & Destroy - Check for Updates first, download ALL Updates and Do a Scan. When finished, make sure ALL RED items have been ticked, and click the "Fix Selected Problems" Button.

Reboot the computer.

4. Download AdAware. On the main screen you will see "Check for Updates Now". Check that first.

Now to set it up for optimum performance...

Make sure the following settings are configured. Remember that ON=GREEN.

From main window click Start | Activate in-depth scan.

Then click Use custom scanning options | Customize and have these options switched ON...

Scan within archives

Scan active processes

Scan registryDeep scan registry

Scan my IE Favourites for banned URLs

Scan my host-files

Then click the Settings button.. (the gear icon on the top row) then Tweak | Scanning engine and check..

Unload recognised processes during scanning.

Cleaning engine.

Let windows remove files in use at next reboot.

and uncheck..

Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion.

Then click Proceed, to save your settings.

Now click the Scan button.

When scan is finished, check the little box to the left of each entry to select them for removal, and get rid of them.

Reboot.

5. Download Hijack This and scan, save your log and post it here or PM me with details. There will be more to do but just hang 5. I am sure we can get rid of anything nasty this way.

Which virus protection are you using?

If you are stuck then you are welcome to bring your PC to my place if you want - I am not far from Sathorn Road - up to you!! :D

I have Windows XP professsional with Norton antivirus 2004. Have written down ther errors and too many to list. Will try to do what Triplegee said and see from there. Thanks and will get back later. Have to take baby to doctor now but will get back later today to see what else I can supply to help diagnose the problems.

Thanks again,

Kringle

Just wanted to say thank you to Bronco for responding to my cries for help and I wish to thank triplegee for all of the help he has given me to clear up my computer as without his help, I could not have gotten through it or it would have been a very long process for me to do by myself. As always, this is a GREAT resource for information and help on just about any subject.

Thanks again,

Kringle :o