Arrest Warrant Against Daad Leader

Guest Reimar

Court approves arrest warrant against DAAD leader

The Criminal Court Friday approved an arrest warrant against a leader of the pro-government Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship on lese majesty charges.

The court approved the arrest warrant against Suchart Nakbangsai related to his speech at a demonstration at Sanam Luang on Tuesday.

Police also presented a video record of Suchart's speech for the court to consider for approving the warrant.

The Nation

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30086288

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lese majesty charges? I shall say no more. First I don't want to have to register at ThaiVisa. Secondly, I don't want the police to be at my door. No thanks.

Not only good for you, also many other people will be grateful

If they go at this rate, pretty soon DAAD will be branded as an anti-monarchy movement, something they always try to hide. If this kind of mass perception is formed, it will be extremely difficult to overcome for them.

"..." Plus, I'd expect better from you... sad.

Why?

I think it's pretty obvious that DAAD has plenty of "anti-monarchy" elements among their leaders, but I don't think their ordinary members are aware of that. This guy is the third one busted for lese majeste. There was also Jakrapob and Da Torpedo.

On the other hand, maybe it is a real revolutionary movement brewing there. Would their leaders admit it? I doubt it.

If they go at this rate, pretty soon DAAD will be branded as an anti-monarchy movement, something they always try to hide. If this kind of mass perception is formed, it will be extremely difficult to overcome for them.

"..." Plus, I'd expect better from you... sad.

Why?

I think it's pretty obvious that DAAD has plenty of "anti-monarchy" elements among their leaders, but I don't think their ordinary members are aware of that. This guy is the third one busted for lese majeste. There was also Jakrapob and Da Torpedo.

On the other hand, maybe it is a real revolutionary movement brewing there. Would their leaders admit it? I doubt it.

On one hand you speak of democracy, and on the other - Oh, it would be against the law to even talk about it... very sad.

I see you are quite happy to raise this subject when it suits you notwithstanding your rather priggish lecture the other day.

I see you are quite happy to raise this subject when it suits you notwithstanding your rather priggish lecture the other day.

Plus speaks to the topic ... directly

and like often YH speaks about the poster.

There have been serious accusations made at Thaksin and his cronies along these lines for ages. I think people will begin to understand it now.

There have been serious accusations made at Thaksin and his cronies along these lines for ages. I think people will begin to understand it now.

JD's in the house - I'll be off home then...

Before I close the door behind me; I can't believe that some posters can't see the irony / inconsistency in their discussions on democracy. I'd like to elaborate, but in this modern democracy of ours (I live here and am thus part of it) I'm not allowed to...

I think Thai people understand the current situation very well.

Plus, I'd expect better from you... sad.

Why?

point of order... he's the Fourth one in the gang busted for this offense...

Warrant for Veera

The Criminal Court yesterday approved a warrant for the arrest of politician and television host [and Banned Thai Rak Thai Party Exectutive] Veera Musikapong on lese majeste charges. The warrant was sought by Chanasongkhram police investigators in connection with Veera's speech on May 6 last year at a pro-Thaksin Shinawatra United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship rally.

In the 1950's one of the best ways to smear someone in the USA was call someone a commie. The too frequent use of the LM charge brings to mind the USA in the 1950's. If you have seen the old news footage of the House Committee on Un-American Activities or Senator Joe McCarthy's Committee where he labeled anyone he didn't like a commie, you'll understand what I mean. I have the impression here, that this has nothing to do with the actual act of LM, but is more of a convenient tool to shut a political opponent up. The inappropriate use of the charge undermines the law itself, not that they care I guess.

I just don't get these guys. Concepts such as conciliation and co-operation would be better tools and instead they want to ratchet up the anger quotient.

Discussion of the monarchy is strictly against forum rules, either by implication or outright. Please refrain from needless speculation or suspensions will have to be handed out.

!00% right. For that reason news articles such as these should be locked at posting. Positive remarks are also discussion. The rule should be applied both ways.

In the 1950's one of the best ways to smear someone in the USA was call someone a commie. The too frequent use of the LM charge brings to mind the USA in the 1950's.

Fair point, but the things those people say on stage (Da Torpedo, for example), really demand some action.

Bad manners are bad manners and should be discouraged, particularly in the circumstances you describe.However the whipping up of (often manafactured) outrage in these turbulent times is as bad as the original offence.Shades of 1976 again.But I certainly agree it's the responsibility of all repeat all parties not to bring the reputation of the highest institution into disrepute.Whether a wacky and rather silly woman like Da Torpedo-does anyone take her seriously?- falls into this category is I would have thought debatable.

Whether a wacky and rather silly woman like Da Torpedo-does anyone take her seriously?

Seriously enough to give a mike and put her on stage.

And, according to SJ count, this is the FOURTH case involving DAAD leadership.

That's why my first contribution is that they are in danger of being labeled as anti-monarchy movement forever.

In the 1950's one of the best ways to smear someone in the USA was call someone a commie. The too frequent use of the LM charge brings to mind the USA in the 1950's.

Fair point, but the things those people say on stage (Da Torpedo, for example), really demand some action.

Bad manners are bad manners and should be discouraged, particularly in the circumstances you describe.However the whipping up of (often manafactured) outrage in these turbulent times is as bad as the original offence.Shades of 1976 again.But I certainly agree it's the responsibility of all repeat all parties not to bring the reputation of the highest institution into disrepute.Whether a wacky and rather silly woman like Da Torpedo-does anyone take her seriously?- falls into this category is I would have thought debatable.

Without the mega thread searching of your past comments on similar occasions when the PAD have been under scrutiny, Y.H., did they remotely compare to those you have just posted here.

Bearing in mind this is a sensitive issue, i still wonder if it,s consistant with these thoughts.

marshbags ???????

Branding the opposition party as unpatriotic is as old as the hills. In Thai politics, if an opposition party has also wrapped themselves up in the flag then the next step is to brand them as anti-monarchist with a trumped up lese majeste charge. I remember when Achaan Sulak Srivaraksa was charged with lese majeste and was forced into exile. Many people assumed that the charges had merit, as opposed to being strictly a political tactic. But the fact was that Srivaraksa was always quite the opposite, a rather conservative monarchist.

Edited by Johpa

Without the mega thread searching of your past comments on similar occasions when the PAD have been under scrutiny, Y.H., did they remotely compare to those you have just posted here.

Bearing in mind this is a sensitive issue, i still wonder if it,s consistant with these thoughts.

marshbags ???????

I have no idea what you're talking about.If you are able to articulate a coherent question I will try and respond.

marshbags ???????

I have no idea what you're talking about.If you are able to articulate a coherent question I will try and respond.

I think he's trying to point to your questionable consistency in arguing certain lines. Like one thread you say "forget Thaksin, he's unimportant and out the picture", and then later on you're saying "it's all about Thaksin, nothing else matters" and now a few days ago you've slipped back to arguing "Thaksin is not so important in the bigger scheme of things". It's rather confusing when someone appears to argue against themselves so often, that they appear to flip-flop back and forth to suit a particular ideological stance. :o

That, at a guess is what Marshbags is broadly talking about, but I maybe wrong. :D

Thanks, Plachon, i kept my post brief to give him an opportunity to perhaps for once, give a straight forward answer and a non contradicting statement that he has become renowned for doing, and justly so IMHO.

Articulate and coherant ????...engage the old grey matter YH and stop playing with straight forward, simple requests for once.

Otherwise silence is golden and far better IMHO

marshbags :o

Thanks, Plachon, i kept my post brief to give him an opportunity to perhaps for once, give a straight forward answer and a non contradicting statement that he has become renowned for doing, and justly so IMHO.

Articulate and coherant ????...engage the old grey matter YH and stop playing with straight forward, simple requests for once.

Otherwise silence is golden and far better IMHO

marshbags :o

Honestly Marshbank I don't fully grasp what you're on about.Would you like to rephrase your question and I'll do my best to answer.

If however the Plachon version of your question is correct yes I accept there is inconsistency but it's more apparent than real.Here's why.Certainly I agree that the current political turmoil is all about Thaksin in the sense the entire elite is focused on his destruction by whatever means, and we have seen recent symbolic evidence of that.I think he is increasingly marginalised for that reason.On the other hand one has to ask the question why the elite is so determined to eliminate him and his influence.The naive would say it's just because of his corruption and human rights record.I have been arguing for months that it is about much more than that, specifically Thaksin's politicisation of millions of Thais who previously were treated with relative neglect and contempt.The rewriting of the political map in that sense is more significant than Thaksin himself.

This may not be the question you had in mind and certainly it doesn't follow the thread, so let me know if I can clarify.

The accused...

suchart-1.jpg

A Bangkok governor candidate Suchart Nakbangsai (center facing camera) speaks through a megaphone while campaigning next to a line of anti-government protesters at the entrance to government house in Bangkok, Thailand Friday, Sept. 19, 2008.

Associated Press / 2008-09-19

Associated Press's photo caption lists him as a campaigning Bangkok Governor candidate, but according to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2256757

one of two things occurred...

Either he received zero votes or he dropped out of the race sometime in just the 16 days between Sep. 19 and election day.