Where Is Gold Going In This Market

I am not reccomending any bonds and the list you posted is obviously western centric , indoneisa has gov bonds over 6 pct for example. If you can't find bonds that pay more than 6 pct corporate or gov you are not looking hard enough. I am also not even touting or recomending bonds it was just an example of one of the many things that can ourperform gold in the long term with "reletively" low risk.

Buying bonds in a low rate enviornment would not be a very good investment for anyone trying to build wealth but it's just fine to protect it if you are already wealthy

i don't know who posted a "western centric list" but there are government bonds which yield 14-15% issued by a country that serviced its debt on the dot for more than two decades and possesses the highest proven reserves of crude oil. and since the early 90s i invest in these bonds (among others) except sometimes when i temporarily trade out/in to make a little trading profit of 10-15% on top of the fat yield.

no, that country is not Saudi Arabia and it's not Argentina where you can get similar high yields but with the risk of a default once in decade.

i rub this information in the face of the goldbugs who boast that they made 15% p.a. during the last decade after 20 years of 0% or inflation adjusted minus percentages whereas others achieved 15 and more percent for the last 30+ years.

waiting for the first one who can name that country (Flying and Yoshiwara are excluded from the guessing game!)

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not reccomending any bonds and the list you posted is obviously western centric , indoneisa has gov bonds over 6 pct for example. If you can't find bonds that pay more than 6 pct corporate or gov you are not looking hard enough. I am also not even touting or recomending bonds it was just an example of one of the many things that can ourperform gold in the long term with "reletively" low risk.

Buying bonds in a low rate enviornment would not be a very good investment for anyone trying to build wealth but it's just fine to protect it if you are already wealthy

i don't know who posted a "western centric list" but there are government bonds which yield 14-15% issued by a country that serviced its debt on the dot for more than two decades and possesses the highest proven reserves of crude oil. and since the early 90s i invest in these bonds (among others) except sometimes when i temporarily trade out/in to make a little trading profit of 10-15% on top of the fat yield.

no, that country is not Saudi Arabia and it's not Argentina where you can get similar high yields but with the risk of a default once in decade.

i rub this information in the face of the goldbugs who boast that they made 15% p.a. during the last decade after 20 years of 0% or inflation adjusted minus percentages whereas others achieved 15 and more percent for the last 30+ years.

waiting for the first one who can name that country (Flying and Yoshiwara are excluded from the guessing game!)

Cyprus?

Gold just dropped below 1550.

and so ???? its now gone back to 1670 so whats your point ???

My point is that it is volatile and not a place of safety.

that can be said for the whole world! where IS safe then? and don't say the Dollar as the US is trillions in debt that can never be repaid - I read somewhere that it was 500,000 for every man, woman and child?

yes that certainly can be said for the whole world. Everything has its associated risks and opportunities. What we can say right now, during the current Euro crisis, is that the USD (or HKD) has been the best place to be. It might not be in the second half of the year, but it is right now. The problem with holding low or zero interest bearing assets such as the USD or gold or even the house that one lives in is that they generate little or no income. Their increase in value yields no benefit unless they can be capitalised. What one does there depends on individual circumstances.

Cyprus?

i lived there for 2 years BTD, never saw any oil wells

Whoops missed the oil wells. How did you like it there?

They're all hidden on the north of the island under a camouflage of old Polly Peck share certificates.

Cyprus?

friendliest people on this planet. during my time extremely low crime rate, low cost living but high rental and property prices. it was more a base for us because we spent more time travelling outside (mainly Middle East).

Venezuela

gopferdammi! i forgot to exclude you dry.png but we have a winner smile.png

VENEZUELA 11¾ 26 84.250 14.36%

PdVSA 9 21 68.750 15.37% (Petroleos de Venezuela)

Edited by Naam

Cyprus?

They're all hidden on the north of the island under a camouflage of old Polly Peck share certificates.

and there are big signs in Turkish "Gülle gülle Yunanis!" (get lost you Greeks!)

Both stocks and gold have proved volatile recently. My recommendation re certain stocks was to concentrate if deciding where to make investments now on dividend flow and with a 5-6% dividend flow based on current prices certain blue chips look interesting. Gold pays no dividend. I am not committed to property as an asset class per se. I am interested in certain prime locations which can generate a regular income. In the UK that would mean London zone 1 within the radius of St Paul's (the City) and in Hong Kong Mid-Levels. If I was interested in US property it would be downtown Manhattan.

http://www.reuters.c...inancialsSector

Euro collapse could halve luxury London home prices

May 31 (Reuters) - Prices of the best central London homes could halve if the euro zone breaks up, as the safe-haven appeal of sterling disappears and weaker European currencies give rise to bargains elsewhere, research showed.

Dear Boy, If I have a nice apartment within walking distance of Harrods I don't do 'bargains'. However, with the Swiss franc shadowing the Euro I might be able soon to stretch to a little chalet in the Alps.

Both stocks and gold have proved volatile recently. My recommendation re certain stocks was to concentrate if deciding where to make investments now on dividend flow and with a 5-6% dividend flow based on current prices certain blue chips look interesting. Gold pays no dividend. I am not committed to property as an asset class per se. I am interested in certain prime locations which can generate a regular income. In the UK that would mean London zone 1 within the radius of St Paul's (the City) and in Hong Kong Mid-Levels. If I was interested in US property it would be downtown Manhattan.

May 31 (Reuters) - Prices of the best central London homes could halve if the euro zone breaks up, as the safe-haven appeal of sterling disappears and weaker European currencies give rise to bargains elsewhere, research showed.

Dear Boy, If I have a nice apartment within walking distance of Harrods I don't do 'bargains'. However, with the Swiss franc shadowing the Euro I might be able soon to stretch to a little chalet in the Alps.

how long will or can that shadowing last? the SNB is already thinking aloud of an "inverse corralito" should the €UR crumble. i have no idea how that can be enforced as CHF can be held outside of Switzerland too.

how long will or can that shadowing last? the SNB is already thinking aloud of an "inverse corralito" should the €UR crumble. i have no idea how that can be enforced as CHF can be held outside of Switzerland too.

Swiss franc holdings were badly hit when the SNB overnight tied the franc to the Euro. if one wants exposure to the land of cuckoo clocks then property purchase prior to any anticipated Euro breakup is a game to play. Recently reported increased overseas interest in the German property market, so someone is thinking about it. Singapore put a block on overseas purchases of property by imposing a foreigner 10% purchase tax so they are ahead of the curve.

Edited by yoshiwara

Why Switzerland is the new China

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2012/05/31/1023881/why-switzerland-is-the-new-china/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

dont you mean 1570 ? the kitco charts are not showing a bounce to 1670

Edited by midas

Swiss franc holdings were badly hit when the SNB overnight tied the franc to the Euro. if one wants exposure to the land of cuckoo clocks then property purchase prior to any anticipated Euro breakup is a game to play. Recently reported increased overseas interest in the German property market, so someone is thinking about it. Singapore put a block on overseas purchases of property by imposing a foreigner 10% purchase tax so they are ahead of the curve.

even EU citizens with the right of abode in Switzerland have to apply and obtain permission in order to buy immobile property. i know that it's much easier and the procedure faster if your family name ends with the syllables "al-Saud, al-Khalifa, al-Sabah, al-Maktoum, al-Nahyan" or similar.

but whatever, property in the country where i was born and who's (alternate) passport i hold is too expensive for my liking. perhaps if the gold price goes to $58,000 an ounce (as once published in Null-and-Void Hedge) and the Mrs agrees to sell some of the gold she hoarded then... wink.png

dont you mean 1570 ? the kitco charts are not showing a bounce to 1670

"letitbe" Midas. the LORD and lao khao work in miraculous ways.

Edited by Naam

With politics in a mess both sides of the Atlantic .. no leadership ...The heads of governments , EU , IMF will not give up their privileges and gold plated pensions , whilst telling their electorate to cut cut cut ...

Ben & Mario's hands seem tied until these useless overpaid people can work out a solution ..or one is forced sad.png

Not surprising people are jumping from one sinking ship to the next ..

Which will be the last standing .. biggrin.png

Why Switzerland is the new China

http://ftalphaville...._medium=twitter

That was a very interesting read. Naam is quite right that purchasing Swiss urban property is very difficult. Chalets in the mountains has more of green light. If foreigners could buy apartments in Zurich for instance the fear is that it would turn into a ghost town. So it looks as if I am not going to be able to get a little bijou apartment just off BahnhofStrasse.

With politics in a mess both sides of the Atlantic .. no leadership ...The heads of governments , EU , IMF will not give up their privileges and gold plated pensions , whilst telling their electorate to cut cut cut ...

Ben & Mario's hands seem tied until these useless overpaid people can work out a solution ..or one is forced sad.png

It will be me.

Holding tins of spam (apparently the stuff will last for decades) and pump-action shotguns.

After dinner I will go hunting gold bugs and have lots of nice jewellery.

Edited by yoshiwara

Perhaps we have a turn ..

http://smartvolume.w...-week-update-6/

So, as you can see on chart above, gold has bearish conditions for 2 months now (please observe that cross for V-MA and it’s SMA, and seems me it just resists against rising dollar.

Now internals of gold signal a decisive bull setup with no signals of having fakeout bull situation. Amazing contradiction I know, it’s against any kind of common sense, but this is what I see now. Please observe rising buying volume on SBV, also bull cross on both short and long histos, and sync in oscillators. Excellent setup. I will just sit back and check the manifestation of this, upcoming gold bull.

HALLELUJAH AMEN! PRAISE THE LORD! w00t.gif

So, as you can see on chart above, gold has bearish conditions for 2 months now (please observe that cross for V-MA and it’s SMA, and seems me it just resists against rising dollar.

Now internals of gold signal a decisive bull setup with no signals of having fakeout bull situation. Amazing contradiction I know, it’s against any kind of common sense, but this is what I see now. Please observe rising buying volume on SBV, also bull cross on both short and long histos, and sync in oscillators. Excellent setup. I will just sit back and check the manifestation of this, upcoming gold bull.

Lanna will explain ..guitar.gif

It will be me.

Holding tins of spam (apparently the stuff will last for decades) and pump-action shotguns.

After dinner I will go hunting gold bugs and have lots of nice jewellery.

Good luck with that. These "gold bugs" you so often speak of have more guns/ammo than most military's.

Lanna will explain ..guitar.gif

yes but he was bullish ( or was it his wife ) on Facebook blink.png

Last sentence of same article

Ps: tomorrow is 1st of June. I will pause or cease my free services. Thanks a lot for you all.

I'm so disappointed, having just got to know the guy

rolleyes.gif

Venezuela

No doubt the interest that investors have in buying bonds from this country and their ability to pay has nothing to do with the fact that they made a very public show of repatriating their gold reserves.thumbsup.gif