Where Is Gold Going In This Market

It is hard to make money mining gold when the costs to mine it are so high compared to what it is selling for. This is actually bullish for gold, as the supply will be limited. Do you think there is a rush from long term physical holders of gold to sell because of the move down? What has changed fundamentally? Every Central Banker on the planet has let it be known that he wants to debase his currency. No, it is just a bunch of traders and computers looking at charts oblivious to the reasons investors are buying gold. It is a buying opportunity.

hmmm... quite interesting! to which ones of the central bankers who want to debase their country's currency did you talk to? or are you just poking your nose and present your opinion based on these results?

USA, China, Japan, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, England, Singapore, New Zealand, Brazil, EU, Switzerland, Vietnam, Australia, Taiwan, Philippines... to name a few.

Not sure what you are getting at? You deny that there is currently a global currency war going on?

Edited by farang000999

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main error being their failure to adapt to changing conditions and hating to admit they were wrong.

What is it that I have been wrong about when I started buying gold in 2008? Gold is currently over sold. This has happened several times in the last few years. It will bounce back. It is a buying opportunity. Is it really that mind boggling for all you when something goes down? You must lose a lot of money buying high and selling low cause anytime something goes down it means that you were wrong and need to sell at the bottom.

It is hard to make money mining gold when the costs to mine it are so high compared to what it is selling for. This is actually bullish for gold, as the supply will be limited. Do you think there is a rush from long term physical holders of gold to sell because of the move down? What has changed fundamentally? Every Central Banker on the planet has let it be known that he wants to debase his currency. No, it is just a bunch of traders and computers looking at charts oblivious to the reasons investors are buying gold. It is a buying opportunity.

You sound like one of the gold guru's who preach gold will hit $5,000 an ounce, it's just a matter of holding on to a losing proposition long enough? Almost like the "CHEERLEADERS" for the Hunt brothers who were trying to push silver to a $100 an ounce back in 1980 when it went back from $50 to about $5. The Turks, Sinclairs, Sprotts and the many other gold guru's also have a vested interest in promoting gold and gold stocks. The main error being their failure to adapt to changing conditions and hating to admit they were wrong. I am glad I sold my 100% position in gold stocks to reap profits in a more conservative equity portfolio. If I had stayed the course in gold these last 3 yearsI would have been down well over 20% each year instead of up +10% each year. When I choose to go back in to gold stocks I can buy many more units and really benefit from a positive market - I too believe that may happen eventually. All things go up and down and you have to be flexible instead of staying the course, I personally love riding the ups but riding the downs seems counter productive.

<deleted> are you talking about? I have 15% of my net worth in gold. If you would rather hold paper money then go ahead. Why would I care?

Edited by farang000999

hmmm... quite interesting! to which ones of the central bankers who want to debase their country's currency did you talk to? or are you just poking your nose and present your opinion based on these results?

USA, China, Japan, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, England, Singapore, New Zealand, Brazil, EU, Switzerland, Vietnam, Australia... to name a few.

Not sure what you are getting at? You deny that there is currently a global currency war going on?

not sure what you are talking about. give me some proof, e.g. a link where i can read what central bankers are planning to debase their country's currency. and before you do that my advice is that look up the definition of "debase".

of course my asking for proof is just rhetorically because you are nothing but parrotting sources/parties with an agenda. these parties will shout "gold X000 any time from now!" no matter what the going price is.

by the way, that "global currency war"... please keep it for yourself. i am neither interested nor will i attend that war laugh.png the same applies for the "yada supply will be limited yakety yak" and the usual "bla-bla bullish for gold bla-bla".

p.s. you might be right and i tend to agree that presently there's a buying opportunity. but only time will tell whether that is a correct assumption.

by the way, that "global currency war"... please keep it for yourself. i am neither interested nor will i attend that war laugh.png the same applies for the "yada supply will be limited yakety yak" and the usual "bla-bla bullish for gold bla-bla".

so when we talk about gold we should not mention the quantity that is being mined, price of mining, interest rates or the inflationary actions of Central Bankers? What factors are we supposed to use to make a decision of whether or not to buy gold Naam?

so when we talk about gold we should not mention the quantity that is being mined, price of mining, interest rates or the inflationary actions of Central Bankers? What factors are we supposed to use to make a decision of whether or not to buy gold Naam?

If you knew you wouldn't be crying 'buying opportunity' at every pit-stop on the way down.

Also, if it is a buying opportunity now, does that mean it wasn't a buying opportunity at 1600, 1650, 1700, 1750, 1800, 1850, and 1900 when you were parroting the same message?

Edited by yoshiwara

The main error being their failure to adapt to changing conditions and hating to admit they were wrong.

What is it that I have been wrong about when I started buying gold in 2008? Gold is currently over sold. This has happened several times in the last few years. It will bounce back. It is a buying opportunity. Is it really that mind boggling for all you when something goes down? You must lose a lot of money buying high and selling low cause anytime something goes down it means that you were wrong and need to sell at the bottom.

You sound like one of the gold guru's who preach gold will hit $5,000 an ounce, it's just a matter of holding on to a losing proposition long enough? Almost like the "CHEERLEADERS" for the Hunt brothers who were trying to push silver to a $100 an ounce back in 1980 when it went back from $50 to about $5. The Turks, Sinclairs, Sprotts and the many other gold guru's also have a vested interest in promoting gold and gold stocks. The main error being their failure to adapt to changing conditions and hating to admit they were wrong. I am glad I sold my 100% position in gold stocks to reap profits in a more conservative equity portfolio. If I had stayed the course in gold these last 3 yearsI would have been down well over 20% each year instead of up +10% each year. When I choose to go back in to gold stocks I can buy many more units and really benefit from a positive market - I too believe that may happen eventually. All things go up and down and you have to be flexible instead of staying the course, I personally love riding the ups but riding the downs seems counter productive.

<deleted> are you talking about? I have 15% of my net worth in gold. If you would rather hold paper money then go ahead. Why would I care?

Please "stay the course" and hold on too your losers. My theory is why invest in something losing value, try to buy at or near the bottom to maximize returns. Then you can buy much more gold or stocks on the ride up to maximize your gains. It seems you are stuck on your "principles" and the hype other gold bugs and conspiracists are feeding you? We have been listening to you the "sky is falling" types for decades.

Edited by gerry53

from dictionary.com

b : to reduce the exchange value of (a monetary unit)

So when a Central Banker prints money and buys dollars or buys bonds and lowers the exchange rate/purchasing power of it's currency that is not debasement? Huh?

only ignorants think that central bankers "print" money to buy dollars or bonds. yes, some but not all central bankers have been buying and/or selling other currencies to manipulate their own. but in most cases to achieve (what they think is) a reasonably fair exchange rate which does not hurt their countries' economy. these usually happens when a currency gets too strong, best examples are CHF and JP¥.

sometimes they succeed, quite often they don't. e.g. the Bank of Thailand did its best over the last 6 years to slow down the strength of the Baht. clear evidence are Thailand's reserves which exploded. and if you call the SNB's action to reign in CHF vs. EUR or the BoJ to stop a further appreciation of JP¥ as "debasing" you have not done your homework.

I am not a wave theory expert but I'm just passing on what their analysis is and that is that the current wave cycle will complete in the 1580's area during the first few months of 2013. Of course there are rules to EW and if price action goes outside the rules it invalidates the current cycle. No one is using tarrot cards to predict the future, but you guys should understand that the BIG money players don't just throw darts at a board and use technical analysis to determine when to enter and exit the markets. It's when these big money players make moves that the market reacts the most. They watch certain levels and put their limits and stops accordingly. This is the reason with fibo levels hold so well. The big money trades on higher TF charts, not the short scalping charts.

I'm not here to convince anyone to buy or sell anything. You guys do what you want. Just offering some information. Take it or leave it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/218064-where-is-gold-going-in-this-market/page-370#entry6137582

I will add that I closed my short positions @ $1559 on the 350oz I was carrying since last year.

Edited by Jayman

you can argue word definitions all you want. the bottom line is that the actions countries have taken to weaken their currencies have increased the money supply. this is happening all over the world. this inflation/easy money/artificially low interest rates is the reason why commodity prices are so high, why so many countries have real estate bubbles now and why gold is a good investment. Are you loaded up on government bonds Naam? Why not? Probably because you know there is a very small chance that you will actually beat the inflation rate.

Edited by farang000999

you can argue word definitions all you want. the bottom line is that the actions countries have taken to weaken their currencies have increased the money supply. this is happening all over the world. this inflation/easy money/artificially low interest rates is the reason why commodity prices are so high, why so many countries have real estate bubbles now and why gold is a good investment. Are you loaded up on government bonds Naam? Why not? Probably because you know there is a very small chance that you will actually beat the inflation rate.

The bottom line is that the gold bugs live in a nonsense world where gold is going up when it is going down. They argue that it is always a buying opportunity at every stage and every price level, so when you repeat the same thing ab infinitum the recommendation is just meaningless hot air and not in the slightest to be taken seriously.

Are you loaded up on government bonds Naam? Why not? Probably because

you know there is a very small chance that you will actually beat the

inflation rate.

little do you know as far as government bonds are concerned whistling.gif

Investor's chronicle article:

"Gold and silver prices crashed through key support levels last week and could be on their way down to their respective major support levels $1,525 (£1,000) an ounce and $27 an ounce. Should prices plunge further than that, all bets are off. Indeed, if the last bear market for precious metals is anything to go by, prices could go into hibernation for as long as 20 years...."

Goes on to give a more balanced view though...

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/2013/02/26/shares/news-and-analysis/have-gold-and-silver-peaked-Oz6qSXwLpcTYu5xioblLBI/article.html

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

World Gold Council to teach central bankers how to trade gold Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Central bankers will be taught how to trade gold at a three-day seminar on "gold reserves management" to be held in March at the University of California at Berkeley and co-sponsored by the World Gold Council.

The seminar itself doesn't seem to be pursuing transparency. Its

invitation is limited to "senior central bankers -- governors, deputy

and assistant governors, heads of reserve management, economists, and

portfolio managers," and "finance ministry officials and treasury

managers."

http://www.gata.org/node/12234

Laughter.gif

Edited by Naam

Perhaps in a perverse way it is the Bundesbank's fault ! .... as people sell paper gold ... the majority will invest elsewhere ...certainly as prices are falling.. and buying Physical is not as easy . Paulson/Soros & Co trade mostly paper...For now ! .... it seems more pm investors are requiring delivery and want to hold physical...

I am riding it out , not selling ....perhaps to regret ..but who knows what is around the corner ..

but I have property investments that just seem to be picking up as PM's are declining .... So I suppose a balanced portfolioblink.png

An interesting long read for those interested apart from Naam smile.pnghttp://fofoa.blogspot.com/2013/02/checkmate.html

Silver Shortage at the U.S. Mint
By Christian DeHaemer | Friday,

March 1st, 2013

christian-dehaemer_75.pngThe U.S. Mint has already run out of silver coins this year.

Within just the first two weeks of 2013, the shelves of the Mint were bare!

It's not the first time this has happened, either...

The bottom line is physical silver is hard to get right now. And prices are expected to go much higher over the coming months.

But there's an even better — and safer — way you can play the coming run-up in silver right now... for around $1.

To get the full details on this explosive silver opportunity, click here now.

Good Investing,

christian-dehaemer-signature.png

Chris DeHaemer

Managing Editor, Wealth Daily

priceless!

Edited by Naam

AG getting hammered, PT below AU again.

seems like lots of hammering going on .... look at currencies ...

seems like panic stations sad.png ....

who is going to come out on top ....USD & .....?

my favourite is... the Thai Baht!

THB ok with me

looks like euro crash .... under 1.30......is USD going to crash also before the end of the day ....wink.png

THB ok with me

looks like euro crash .... under 1.30......is USD going to crash also before the end of the day ....wink.png

no and no.

Perhaps in a perverse way it is the Bundesbank's fault ! .... as people sell paper gold ... the majority will invest elsewhere ...certainly as prices are falling.. and buying Physical is not as easy . Paulson/Soros & Co trade mostly paper...For now ! .... it seems more pm investors are requiring delivery and want to hold physical...

I am riding it out , not selling ....perhaps to regret ..but who knows what is around the corner ..

but I have property investments that just seem to be picking up as PM's are declining .... So I suppose a balanced portfolio:blink:

An interesting long read for those interested apart from Naam smile.pnghttp://fofoa.blogspot.com/2013/02/checkmate.html

Looking at that blog you just know the gold bugs are in disarray when they start harping on about paper gold messing thingsup and you must stick to the gold coins and bars strategy which as we all know yields a different type of zero income.