Motorbike

jonboy

ok then

Now I understand why you have so many postings in ten months (about 2500?). You don't act, you only re-act and preferably with one-liners. This one is really great, only two words. You are going to beat Dr. Patpong one day and Khun George!

Sharpen up Dave, you are behaving like a Rabbi!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok then

Now I understand why you have so many postings in ten months (about 2500?). You don't act, you only re-act and preferably with one-liners. This one is really great, only two words. You are going to beat Dr. Patpong one day and Khun George!

will do :D

:o

ok then

will do :D

:o

Honda Safety rides, we have been on two now both were held in November, at a ###### area not to far from Khan Kean, we rode from Udon, people come from all over ther region. We took a shot at counting the tables this year there was seating for 4000 and it looked at least 90% full. It was a two day event, met at the Honda shop we rode with in Udon, several shops in Udon participate. First stop everyone get fuel Honda pays. Then on to the camping area, served Lunch. Tents are provided a air mattres and a sleeping bag are not a bad idea. There are showers set up. Many different little boothes set up for games like you would see at a ccounty fair, all free.

Dinner is served around 6:00 P.M. with a four hour show. No booze is served but there is plenty around, the Thias seem to really like sharing it with us dumb farrangs who don't bring any. Not a big deal to me, I had one to be polite to the Thai who was trying to give to me. We had a newbie with us, who got defensive whe the Thai offered him a drink wanting to know how much. I wanted to kill him, the guy went out of his way to be nice to us. So I took newbie aside and explained to him that Thai people are nice, not everyone is trying to seperate him from his Baht. I then taught him Ka Koon Kop and insisted he use when he accepted his free drink.

The Thias party hearty at this event and some young guys got into fights. the Thai cops were all over them in seconds, so unless thye were setting in your lap, they provided no problem to any of us. The Thias kept us awake until arond 2:00 A.M. I got even this year and snored like a fright train keeping them awake until 5:00 A.M.

They roll you out at 6:00 for coffee and donuts or a Thia breakfast if you want. Then more games like tug of war. Bike and helmet show we entered the 150 and two helmets, got second place with one of the helmets. Nice trophy and 1500 Baht.

You head back together and they buy lunch, fill the tank with fuel when you get back. They gave us two Tee shirts each and a jacket each, all for 400 Baht.

It's great fun and is really hard to beat. Just check at the honda shops in your area sometime around October and come be spoiled and learn what wonderful people we live with

A couple friends in town recently bought Phantoms and within a month were looking for bigger bikes. They have a chopper look but are really just above scooter engine power and sound. Buy a used one so you don't have too much invested, for a possible upgrade later. Lots of good Steeds[with books]around the country. Anyone from here going up to CM Bike Week? Supposed to be a record high amount of bikes this year.

I then taught him Ka Koon Kop and insisted he use when he accepted his free drink.

"What is Ka Koon Kop"?

It all sounds fun, so will have to look further into this

CHEERS :o

Ray

"What is Ka Koon Kop"? I've never heard this b4

It's thank you, probably lost a lot in trying to write it (LAUGHTER)

Kah Koon Kop, is Thia for thank you, I jsut can't figure out to write the right sounds.

Bigger bikes, it really depends on how much riding you do, I have both. I enjoy the bigger bike, but it is much harder to get repairs on it. I was headed for Chaing Mia this year, the 750 CC is in the shop so I didn't want to ride the phantom to that, so I won't make it this year.

Everything is arguable, but many find cruisers more comfortable to ride, esp. on long trips. On a longer trip or on the highway, I’d rather have a Phantom under me than a Honda Dream. I know a guy personally who drove his Phantom to Phuket and back and regularly drives it to the border on his visa runs. In heavy traffic, of course, the Dream would be more maneuverable, but the Phantom would not be that bad. Hence you do see a fair number of Phantoms in Bangkok.

If you really like cruisers, however, and do a lot of driving on the highway, you’ll surely find that the Phantom is not big or powerful enough. It feels rather like a big Honda Dream. To get a real cruiser, you’ll have to spend a good deal more. Something fairly new and in great shape might run B175,000 and up. Something used might start at B40,000 but then you’re probably looking at least another B40,000 in repairs and continual trips to the shop for a couple of years until all the issues are straightened out. Though there may be exceptions, keeping an old bike running that was previously owned by a Thai can be a part-time job in itself. If you do go the used route, it’s often just as well to buy from an individual. Local shops often hide problems and make promises of “free service for one year” that they won’t honor, yet tack on that extra B40,000 or more to the price as if they’ve already fixed all the problems.

As for choice of cruiser, it all depends on taste, budget, and patience. A good all-round less expensive compromise is the Honda Steed simply because there are so many of them that parts are easy to find and most shops are quite familiar with them. It’s also known to be a reliable bike.

It would be better to buy your choice of a good helmet and other riding gear (including rain gear that fits) in your home country (assuming it’s a developed country) as you’d have a greater variety and you’d likely be able to avoid the import tax that’s tacked on in the shops in Thailand. Most shops sell junk anyway.

Whether big cruisers are less safe than small bikes is debatable, not that either is particularly safe. It all depends on the circumstances. I’d rather hit a dog or pothole on a cruiser. I’d drive faster on the highway on a cruiser, yet some people still drive a lot faster than I do on their Honda Dreams or Suzuki RC100s. I lane split a lot less on a cruiser.

Driving a bike in Thailand is great fun but it’s not nearly as fun as it might be because you have to focus so single-mindedly on staying alive. On many roads, you won’t have much chance to enjoy the scenery.

Excellent post J sixpack. I'm restoring a sport cruiser and feel that anything below 600cc is way too slow off the jump. I like to know that I have enough power to get me gone when I need to. I ride a 150cc 2 stoke around my little town but for anything beyond that I would not feel safe. Really depends on how far you want to go and how fast you want to get there. I'll be glad when my 900 is finished. :o

Excellent post J sixpack. I'm restoring a sport cruiser and feel that anything below 600cc is way too slow off the jump. I like to know that I have enough power to get me gone when I need to. I ride a 150cc 2 stoke around my little town but for anything beyond that I would not feel safe. Really depends on how far you want to go and how fast you want to get there. I'll be glad when my 900 is finished. :o

Boy that was some of the best advice I have seen here in relation to bikes here. I'm amazed at the accuracy in the numbers, not wanting to tie up hundreds of thouands in a big bike I rebuilt a Yamahe 750 CC, the one that was to take me to Chaing Mia, but is again in the shop. Paid 40K with a book, so far another 40K in repairs and parts, one year down line and I'm still fighting problems. The bike very similar now to the old Honda 750 four cylinder and direct drive,is a dream to ride. But it has been a fight for a year now and I'm very close to giving up. The bike has been rebulit front to rear Some things were easy to find, a set of four carbs were not, fiidning a mechanic who knew how to balance them was not.

The bike is old and was obviuolsy made for use in Japan, very low geared, had a warning light on speedometer for anything after 80 KMS. It really seems to be happiest running at that speed, although cruising at 110 or 120 feels OK. About the same as my Phantom 150. But the ride is very much defferent very little vibration on the 750.

I now find myself in a problem in that I love the bike, but I don't trust it all. I know if I'm out in the sticks and it decides to take a dump I have a major problem.

At 80 K plus in it, I doubt that I can regain my money, so if I keep going eventually I will be paying for a newer bike anyway. Found a Yamaha 1000, with direct drive and book for 370K and there are two Valkaries in the area at 400 K with books so I will probably go that route eventtually. In the meantime the phantom 150 continues to be fun and realiable

Kah Koon Kop, is Thia for thank you, I jsut can't figure out to write the right sounds.

Ray,

Do you mean "Kop Khun Ka/Krup"

I had a suzuki raider 125cc 4 stroke once and drove all round Isaan and the north on it. That was fast enough for me as speed is not that important, specially if you want to stay alive. :D:o When in Thailand I have no need to hurry.

The problem with it was the stupid little fuel tank and not that comfortable for longer trips.

I did hit a dog at about 100 kph and was really happy that I had a decent helmet.

The accident didn't kill me, but if I had had a bad injury, the police probably would have. I was laying in the road, just coming to the realisation that i was OK when my helmet was taken off and I was hoisted to my feet and helped to walk to the police pickup. I was put in the front seat, but if I had been unable to get in, I would have been put in the back.

The policeman took me to hospital and went thru my bag, checked my passport and cash while I was getting the inadequate treatment that the village hospital could offer. Basiacally they cleaned me up a bit, gave me a tetanus shotand a couple of paracetemol. Charged me 100Baht and discharged me. The policeman took me back to my bike, handed me my keys, helmet and bag and sent me on my way. Incidently, the policeman took care of my things all the while and returned everything, no cash or anything went walkies :D

After that, I kept my speed down. I'm quite happy at 80kph max with a little extra torque in reserve if needed.

I figure that had I had a heavier bike, I may have had a better chance of staying on as I may have effectively carried on thru the dog instead of the dog stopping the bike.

Riding a bike in Thailand is fun, but you always have to expect the unexpected. I'm lucky that I learnt my lesson and survived it.

I figure that for me the Boss, being a heavier bike than the raider will suit me fine. If I am likely to do a run of 1000km, I would just take about 3 days and enjoy the places that I would stop at.

Ray,

Do you mean "Kop Khun Ka/Krup"

I had a suzuki raider 125cc 4 stroke once and drove all round Isaan and the north on it. That was fast enough for me as speed is not that important, specially if you want to stay alive. :D:o When in Thailand I have no need to hurry.

The problem with it was the stupid little fuel tank and not that comfortable for longer trips.

I did hit a dog at about 100 kph and was really happy that I had a decent helmet.

The accident didn't kill me, but if I had had a bad injury, the police probably would have. I was laying in the road, just coming to the realisation that i was OK when my helmet was taken off and I was hoisted to my feet and helped to walk to the police pickup. I was put in the front seat, but if I had been unable to get in, I would have been put in the back.

The policeman took me to hospital and went thru my bag, checked my passport and cash while I was getting the inadequate treatment that the village hospital could offer. Basiacally they cleaned me up a bit, gave me a tetanus shotand a couple of paracetemol. Charged me 100Baht and discharged me. The policeman took me back to my bike, handed me my keys, helmet and bag and sent me on my way. Incidently, the policeman took care of my things all the while and returned everything, no cash or anything went walkies :D

After that, I kept my speed down. I'm quite happy at 80kph max with a little extra torque in reserve if needed.

I figure that had I had a heavier bike, I may have had a better chance of staying on as I may have effectively carried on thru the dog instead of the dog stopping the bike.

Riding a bike in Thailand is fun, but you always have to expect the unexpected. I'm lucky that I learnt my lesson and survived it.

I figure that for me the Boss, being a heavier bike than the raider will suit me fine. If I am likely to do a run of 1000km, I would just take about 3 days and enjoy the places that I would stop at.

Yep that is the one I meant, thanks, been real lucky haven't went down here yet a few times on the states. Thus far I haev never had a negative contact with the Poloce here. I did get waived into a check point here in Udon last week. Digging out the drivers license don't get much chance to show it off. Turns out the cop rides a phantom and was at the meet with different shop, he just wanted to say hello.

Last year the wife and I took the phantom to Chaing Ria from Udon and then on to Udon. We tool two days to get to Chaing Ria spent a fwe days there visiting family and then on to Chaimg Mia. Did the return trip from Chaing Mia to Udon one day. Not something I would want to do again that was just to much, in excess of a 100 KMS.

I don't know hitting a dog at a 100 if a biger bike would make that much difference, but at least teh dog would have aches and pains to match yours.

I had a phantom 200 a while back, they are really nice bikes, well built, balanced and sturdy.

Out of the choice I'd go for the phantom 200.

the difference is the 200 is a 4 stroke engine, air cooled with electric start.

the 150 phantom is a 2 stroke (not the right engine or sound for the type of bike) and it is water cooled with a kick starter.

The kawasaki boss is a 175.

GO FOR THE 200 PHANTOM, trust me.

Honda steeds are 400 or 600 cc, all imported, some good, some bad with dodgy books.

All the other bikes are made in thailand and parts are available off the shelf.

A secondhand 200 phantom should cost aroung 50000bht.

ps

I've got a 1400 for sale if interested.

Thanks for the help so far guys and I'll probably be buying and registering a Honda Phantom 200 on thursday with any luck. Got a 2 year old for 48,000 and it seems in quite good nik. Brew who was selling his bike wanted 75,000 for(i think) a 3 year old!! Dave said about 50,000 and the guy was asking for 53,000 and I knocked him down 5,000. Well done Dave.

O.K. here we go again...lol. Went to the helmet shop on udom suk and tried on 3 different styles of helmet.NONE of them fit me and 2 types just balanced on top of my head!! Wheres the best place for a big falang to get a larger helmet as the shop says all the shops near by are the same and only have the 1 size..... is nothing straight forward?

I had a phantom 200 a while back, they are really nice bikes, well built, balanced and sturdy.

Out of the choice I'd go for the phantom 200.

the difference is the 200 is a 4 stroke engine, air cooled with electric start.

the 150 phantom is a 2 stroke (not the right engine or sound for the type of bike) and it is water cooled with a kick starter.

The kawasaki boss is a 175.

GO FOR THE 200 PHANTOM, trust me.

Honda steeds are 400 or 600 cc, all imported, some good, some bad with dodgy books.

All the other bikes are made in thailand and parts are available off the shelf.

A secondhand 200 phantom should cost aroung 50000bht.

ps

I've got a 1400 for sale if interested.

Thanks for the help so far guys and I'll probably be buying and registering a Honda Phantom 200 on thursday with any luck. Got a 2 year old for 48,000 and it seems in quite good nik. Brew who was selling his bike wanted 75,000 for(i think) a 3 year old!! Dave said about 50,000 and the guy was asking for 53,000 and I knocked him down 5,000. Well done Dave.

O.K. here we go again...lol. Went to the helmet shop on udom suk and tried on 3 different styles of helmet.NONE of them fit me and 2 types just balanced on top of my head!! Wheres the best place for a big falang to get a larger helmet as the shop says all the shops near by are the same and only have the 1 size..... is nothing straight forward?

Try the Shoei helmet shop on Ratchada Rd. The have all sizes. Not cheap but at least safe in case of an accident

So is somebody saying that 100 kph is fast? Indicated 140 is fairly fast, and that's on a CBR150. 22,000 kilometers, not a scratch yet.

My first ride in Thailand, however, was on Doi Inthanon, and one of those plastic reflectors on a road barrier almost cut my leg artery in two. For about 100 baht, they gave me first aid at the national park and transported me to the nearest hospital. For less than 500 baht, they cleaned the deep wide nasty bloody painful dirty gravelly open wound, sutured it, and bandaged me. Very good service.

So is somebody saying that 100 kph is fast? Indicated 140 is fairly fast, and that's on a CBR150. 22,000 kilometers, not a scratch yet.

Don't know if you are referring to my post or not.

I was saying that I have no need to go fast, what's the hurry, after all?

I'm quite happy limiting my speed to 80kph, so have no need for a big bike, so I reckon the Boss or Phantom will suit me fine.

It's not all about top speed as it is about having "get away" power that really means the most to me. Anything smaller than a 600, just can't get off the line quick enough. I like to think I can leave when I need to and a 150 or 200 just can't do it. IMHO :D:o

Should be buying the bike tomorrow and still no helmet!! Ive looked in lots of the small bike shops and at Seacon,Seri center,Central Bangna etc etc and the biggest I've found are 2 61cms.Funny enough only one goes over my head without pain(maybe extra padding??).The local helmets range from 100-1000 baht which is fine but I decided to goto a shop on Ekami and look at some imported helmets......18,000 baht!!!!!!!!!He reckons I might pick one up for between 7,500-10,000 at one shop but not sure.I'm not traveling long distances , mainly just for to and from work so I dont want to spend this kind of money.If you know of a shop anywhere with larger helmets then please post(61cm or more....61 is bare minimum).

Thanks

I had a 150 phantom and it was an excellent bike, but a bit of a hard ride compared to others around the same price. I have also had a Kawasaki Boss 175, which although an ugly bike IMHO. it was very comfortable and a nice ride.

Now I own a 600 Honda Steed chopper and it is also a great bike and a great ride.

Unfortunately none of them shape up to a Harley for comfort, handling and class, but for the price they are here, I could buy 2 in Aus.

Harleys are expensive but not so much more expensive then abroad! Since we are all talking about bikes...I am selling a Harley Heritage softail with new battery, tyres, new Mikuni 42mm carb, new Crane Hi 4 ignition, lots of chrome extras, runs great, custom handlebars,lowered suspensions, custom seat, Thunderheader pipes.....original purple color, if interested please pm me.... or email me :o