Does This Condo Exist In Cm?

vrsushi

In the UK every city has a residential area where middle class young professionals live. That type of place where there's lots of cafes, shops, bars and eye candy walking around. 6 oclock sees many well dressed paople coming home from work. There is a "buzz" to the area.

I live in Japan where I live in such an area too. Believe me, you don't want to live in the suburbs in Japan. Deserted during the day and night, and almost everybody on the street is either a mother with kids or over 70.

Im thinking of buying a holiday apartment/something for my retirement in ChiangMai, so where should I be looking to live? I don't think I'll have a car and would feel very isolated living in some quite mooban outide the city. I'd like to be able to walk to some cafes where I can meet a friend for a coffee, game of chess and watch the world go by. I'd also like to go to a lively bar occaisionly. Enjoy live music, bowling, social groups and generally get out and about. Oh and near a supermarket/local markets would be needed too.

When I talk about lively, I mean places where working Thais hang out not really tourists.

Of course I know I am not gong to find a Notting hill/Manhatten of CM, but is there anywhere that comes anywhere near?

Nimmanhaemin Rd :o It's turned into it's own little yuppie township this past couple of years, and shows no signs of letting up. Brand new upmarket condos, or cheap yet clean studio apartments (with pool), from as little as 5,500 THB/Mo Lot's pf pubs, clubs, and eateries all over the place too, with more going up all the time.

Aitch

Nimmanhaemin.

eye candy to be found at bars like 'warm up'. Although i havent been allowed to investigate further :D

( i am allowed to rubber neck on the way past though :o )

Also the bottom of the night market could possible take off.. see: http://www.chiangmaifurnishedapartments.com/

If you really want a flash pad, at the base of the mountain by CM university which is near Nimmanhaemin. imo.

Personally im wanting to get out to the mountains in San Kamphan...

Edited by UKWEBPRO

In the UK every city has a residential area where middle class young professionals live. . . . . 6 oclock sees many well dressed paople coming home from work. . . . . I live in Japan where I live in such an area too.

Japan must have changed enormously since I moved from Tokyo to Chiangmai two years ago. Six o'clock never saw well-dressed people coming home from work when I lived there. That happened at a much later hour.

Agree with the other posters' replies.

Nimmanhaemin.

eye candy to be found at bars like 'warm up'. Although i havent been allowed to investigate further :D

( i am allowed to rubber neck on the way past though :o )

Also the bottom of the night market could possible take off.. see: http://www.chiangmaifurnishedapartments.com/

If you really want a flash pad, at the base of the mountain by CM university which is near Nimmanhaemin. imo.

Personally im wanting to get out to the mountains in San Kamphan...

I agree with you UKWEBPRO.

I have lived in both places and each has its own thing going.

I spent 2+ years on Nimenhaemen and did get a sore neck from all the rubber necking but after while I just felt like a dirty old man because all the real lookers were more than half my age.

Nimenhaemen area has loads of coffee shops and cafes and lots of places to hang out.

There is a new apartment building going up there called the Punna, google it for the link as I dont think I can post it here. You can see what you get for your money.

Lots of nice affordable apartments around the area if you are thinking of renting mid to long term.

Chang Klan area has some newly built japanese designed apartment buildings. There is a different vibe down there as you are closer to the Night Bazzare so its quite touristy. The area does not have the ambience/ scene that Nimenhaemen has but it commands a higher price per SQM + higher rents if you are an investor.

Big advantage for me as I found out yesterday is that I am 5 minutes away from a Dukes restaurant.

Both areas have a Bake and Bite which is a popular Falang breakfast haunt.

If you are coming to Chiang Mai to retire and are thinking of buying Vrsushi, then I would certainly not rush into things, spend some time here and get a feel for the city and for what each area has to offer.

...........after while I just felt like a dirty old man because all the real lookers were more than half my age.

You mean your rule is to stick to the ones less than half your age? :o

Reminds me of the "rule of thirds" - when you reach the magic age of 54 you can get away from all those "half your age" jibes and trade her in for three eighteen year olds...

Wow that Punna apartment looks great but at BK prices. 4.5m for 100m2!

Yes, I thought that the Nim road area could be the place when I was in CM. Also, don't you get the feeling that when the web site is only in English that there is a certain "white man" tax involved?

Wow that Punna apartment looks great but at BK prices. 4.5m for 100m2

I went to look at the showrooms to see what the various condos could look like kitted out with furniture, fixtures and fittings, and it has to be said they are very impressive, though perhaps a little pricey to buy for most folks.

There's another huge project just in front of Punna Residence, but i haven't checked that one out yet. Opposite both of these classy condos is the white apartment building called the Baan Thai which has 2 towers. Although these tiny studios can't compare to the living luxury of the projects across the road, they are nonetheless clean and cheap at 5,500 THB/Mo, which includes English TV, fridge, Air con, small balcony, etc, and a real smart swimming pool on the 3rd floor. The other benefit of the Baan Thai is that you're right in the middle of this up and coming trendy area without paying through the nose for accommodation.

A short drive from Nimmanhaemin towards Central Kad Suan kaew on the left hand side is a brand new building called the Dome Residence (thedomechiangmai dot com) which is another smart building that's only been opened for 3 months. I think they have studios and 1 bed joints only. In my opinion, the one beds look like storage rooms and are very poorly designed, whereas the studios are spacious and smart.

Leaving the Dome (it's one-way if you're driving) and take the first turning on the left and there's yet another brand spanking new building just gone up on the first bend (sorry, don't know the name). It looks like a smart apartment project but i have no details as yet. Anyway, it opened its doors just 3 days ago. A few twists and turns later and there's yet another new place with various size rooms called Doi View or something like that. Oh, i could go on and on, but the point is there's an abundance of smart, clean places to rent out in all areas of CM, and many more being constructed.

Hope that helps

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch