Asus Mini Or Acer Mini Notebook?

scorecard

Been comparing the mini notebooks. My needs are: basic word, basic PowerPoint (but I need to store 60 or 70 quite large files), very basic Excel, internet.

At Pantip today looked at many brands, models, prices, ultimately seems to be 2 choices:

1. ASUS EEPC 1000H, 1.6 processor, 512 RAM, 80G HDD, Windows XP, 15,900Baht incl VAT.

2. ACER Aspire A150, 1.6 processor, 1024 RAM, 120G HDD, Windows XP, 15,920Baht incl VAT.

Best prices (quoted above), were at IT CITY, where I have bought many products before and always been happy with their initial set-up services and on-going services.

I'm tending towards the ACER mini. I like what I see in the mini notebook, and I've bought many ACER products before, never had one problem.

Your comments about specs, other price possibilities, etc., very welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks.

I like the acer too.. However as I would want the max ram (1.5GB) then I would see if that can be done at source as you have to take out a 512 sim to replace with a 1024 sim and wouldnt want to waste..

The acer with the 6 cell battery and the 1.5GB memory upgrade would be my choice.

I like the acer too.. However as I would want the max ram (1.5GB) then I would see if that can be done at source as you have to take out a 512 sim to replace with a 1024 sim and wouldnt want to waste..

The acer with the 6 cell battery and the 1.5GB memory upgrade would be my choice.

Hi 'LivinLOS',

Thanks for your comments. Also living / working in LOS, 20 years in fact.

Can I please ask for your further comments, mostly because:

a. I'm not tech savvy.

b. I'm a bit frightened I'll make a mistake in buying the wrong machine, because I'm not tech savvy.

Could you please comment further on:

1. You said " However as I would want the max ram (1.5GB) then I would see if that can be done at source as you have to take out a 512 sim to replace with a 1024 sim and wouldnt want to waste.. " Actually the brochure says the maximum upgrade is to 1.0 GB (but is this correct?). But more important I'm not sure why your mentioning 'SIM', is this something about internet connection through mobile phone?

2. You said " The acer with the 6 cell battery and the 1.5GB memory upgrade would be my choice." The salesman at several Pantip shops, and at IT City, say that the standard battery pack provides 5 hours. If this is true, then i'm wondering whether a battery upgrade is needed for standard usage. And, battery upgrade pack seems to be not cheap - about 3,500 - 4,500Baht.

Look forward to and much appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

I used SIM as in any insertable memory.. The machine is built with 512 and can take a 1024 for a combine 1.5GB.. No machine I have ever had has enough so would want the 1.5GB (in fact less than 2 makes me wonder but hey its a mini note).. If I bought the 1GB RAM version I would have to bin the second removeable 512 memory card in upgrading it to a 1024 hence I would try for that at purchase.

As to battery.. again I like more.. Over time the upgrades on those usually are worth it to me.. I dont know what the upgrade cost is (and the price you list is that to buy the second battery and have 2 or to swap the 4 cell to the 6 cell ??) and your right that does add to the machine a bit but it would be on my radar.

Shame the acer lacks bluetooth but cant have it all I guess.

Also to note is the fairly expensive Dell mini note seems to have dropped in price in the west as a new model with 10 inch screen is coming.. 1280x768 screen at a 400 ish USD price in the real world.. No idea if any are around here.

I have just bought the Acer and so far(2 days) i am happy. Though i will be looking for a bigger battery. The 3 cell one only lasts 3 hours. But its easy to use and has wifi. I bought mine of ebay for Aud$500 you then send away fror $99 back. So about $400 all up. I did look at the Asus, but really there is not much between them.

At Pantip today looked at many brands, models, prices, ultimately seems to be 2 choices:

1. ASUS EEPC 1000H, 1.6 processor, 512 RAM, 80G HDD, Windows XP, 15,900Baht incl VAT.

2. ACER Aspire A150, 1.6 processor, 1024 RAM, 120G HDD, Windows XP, 15,920Baht incl VAT.

Do both of these models come with original Windows XP or a copied version which would be totally useless once you begin downloading Windows Updates?

Pattayadavid

Do both of these models come with original Windows XP or a copied version which would be totally useless once you begin downloading Windows Updates?

Pattayadavid

Thanks for all the discussion. I have three points:

1. Staff at IT City say XP in the ACER mini is original.

2. Staff at several shops in Pantip inidcated cannot swap the battery. If you want more hours have to buy extra pack

3. No bluetooth in the ACER Mini. Is this a strong negative point? What typical user needs does this effect? Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

3. No bluetooth in the ACER Mini. Is this a strong negative point? What typical user needs does this effect? Comments appreciated.

A user that likes to use mobile internet and uses his cellphone as an edge or 3g modem..

The point of these machines is very much the 'travel companion' type email.. So having it go online via my mobile is kind of the point.

A user that likes to use mobile internet and uses his cellphone as an edge or 3g modem..

The point of these machines is very much the 'travel companion' type email.. So having it go online via my mobile is kind of the point.

Acer is releasing the Aspire One with a builtin 3G modem ... , this should also be able to handle EDGE & GPRS ..

Acer is releasing the Aspire One with a builtin 3G modem ... , this should also be able to handle EDGE & GPRS ..

Do you have a link to the 3G modem information please ?

Chivas

AIS will very soon partner with Asus and offer the eeepc 901 (hard disk/winXP version) with built in EDGE/3G modem.

I think 11,900 Baht if you take a 1 year 999 Baht/month unlimited internet contract...

A machine like that would suit my need sperfectly, no fiddling with phones, modems or any external peripheral, just boot, connect and surf away!

Been comparing the mini notebooks. My needs are: basic word, basic PowerPoint (but I need to store 60 or 70 quite large files), very basic Excel, internet.

Best prices (quoted above), were at IT CITY, where I have bought many products before and always been happy with their initial set-up services and on-going services.

I'm tending towards the ACER mini. I like what I see in the mini notebook, and I've bought many ACER products before, never had one problem.

Your comments about specs, other price possibilities, etc., very welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks.

I liked the Acer price wise because it was cheaper than the Asus here in Canada. However, even though I wanted a light weight, since I'm getting older, and my eyesight isn't that great anymore, I also wanted the largest screen available (10 inch). I ended up buying the Asus Eee 1000H a few weeks ago. I was worried that it would be a waste of money, but I use it just about every day, and think it's the greatest.

Thanks.

Hard to decide whats best but i have the following information to give:

ASUS is mostly well known as a manufacturer for masterboards for desktop computers and seems to be one of the best brands for that purposes.

ACER have been a well known manufacturer for Laptop computers and even in this case one of the best Laptop brands at the market.

Good luck whit your decision

Do you have a link to the 3G modem information please ?

Chivas

@Chivas- some 3GWiMax info about the Aspire One is here: http://www.slashgear.com/acer-aspire-one-w...n-2009-0918812/

There's a SIM slot behind the battery, but it doesn't do anything on the current models, it's just an empty plastic slit. It won't be used until they add the 3G card in 2009

For more Acer info, check out aspireoneuser.com.

I've got an Acer Aspire One with the 160gb drive and the 6-cell battery and i love it. it's quite fast after a fresh install of XP (thinned down with nlite) and it's a well made little machine. I used an EEE with the 8.9" screen and i like the keyboard on the Acer much better and it has a better feel overall too me.

My main complaints about the AAO are:

• Low quality fan, runs too loud and buzzy. There's an app out I use to turn it off unless the system goes above a certain temp but this shouldn't be needed, it should have had more heatsinks inside and a better, quieter fan
  • Adding memory is a nightmare process, and takes a couple of hours not to mention voids your warranty. This is just plain stupid, it should just be a panel on the back like every other laptop. i'm happy to have 1.5gb, but if you don't need it don't bother
  • Same for the hard drive, though i understand it would harder to make a machine this size and have an easy to remove HD. 160 is plenty for most people's 'netbook needs' however.
  • The spot for the 3G card coming next year is there, but they didn't even bother to solder a minipci slot onto the motherboard. not only can we not upgrade later, we can't use other minipci devices (there is an internal USB header available however)

Good points

• Nice screen, HD movies look awesome on this little thing.
  • Fast hard drive. The drive benchmarks at nearly 80 MB/s (read speeds), not bad for a stock drive on a $400 netbook.
  • stable stable stable. This machine has not crashed on me once, nothing at all. That's pretty impressive.
  • Best keyboard and layout of the netbooks i've tried.
  • Power functions such as standby and hibernation work very well on this machine. It goes in and out of standby in less than 2 seconds.
  • Easy to find drivers and they work. if you've ever had to re-install windows on a sony, you know how important this is. All the Fn keys (brightness, volume, etc) work on a fresh install without drivers, the drivers just give you an OSD.
  • Decent battery life, i get a little over 5 hours with the included 5200 mAH 6-cell battery, and there's already another manufacturer making a 6600 mAH battery.

• 6 months later...

ACER have been a well known manufacturer for Laptop computers and even in this case one of the best Laptop brands at the market.

Good luck whit your decision

Wrong.

Acer dominates the laptop market in Thailand (and not necessarily in other countries) because they build the cheapest laptops with the most gadgets.

So you get WiFi, 2 GIG Ram, built-in webcam, fingerprint recognition, blabla, you name it, at a price where others would just sell you a basic laptop.

You pay for this by getting rather flimsy quality.

So Acer is ideal for the Thai market as they are cheap, have a very high show-off value, and quality is not valued highly here.

Anyway, service and repairs are cheap here, so it doesn't matter so much.

In their home country (Taiwan) Acer does not have a good reputation. My gf's brother used to be a quality control engineer for Acer, nobody in the extended family has ever bought any item from Acer.

I will echo that I think the aspire one is the best mini machine I looked at.. Bought one for the GF about 6 months ago.. Good screen and keyboard compared to the wind and eee.. I purchased the legit XP one for her with the larger battery.. Was surprised at how acceptable it was for a travelling machine.

IIRC I paid 15,500 last nov with 120GB, 1.5MB RAM, 6 or 5 cell battery and real XP..