Best Bar

Ritti

It's a bit subjective, isn't it?

Just to name a few places you could check out:

Tuskers (see banner on top of this forum)

The Wat (on the Loi Kroh road next tot the 7/11)

O'Malleys (Anusahn market )

The number 1 Bistro & Cafe (Loi Kroh Soi 1)

and I bet others can add a lot more.

Nienke

Not necessarily the best, but Jammer's Delight on the corner of Loi Kroh (right opposite the moat) is pretty laid back. Although a girile bar, you won't have your balls felt unless that's what you want :o It's open on both sides, has a pool table and satellite TV, and beer prices are good to boot. :D

Whatever the interior merits of any bar on or off Loy Kroh Road, my take is that the transit to and from it guarantees to get you the incessant "hello-where-you-go-have-a-dink" chorus from every bar within hailing distance....... so none of them would figure in any list of mine. As alternatives to the current suggestions...... The Pub on Huay Kaew Road - nice garden to enjoy the cooler evenings now - and also the spacious Tiger Bar in Rachamanka Road (eastern end) - big screen usually showing sports, good pool table, comfortable seating and also good atmosphere away from the predictable Loy Kroh circus.

Whatever the interior merits of any bar on or off Loy Kroh Road, my take is that the transit to and from it guarantees to get you the incessant "hello-where-you-go-have-a-dink" chorus from every bar within hailing distance....... so none of them would figure in any list of mine.

Valuable advice.

As alternatives to the current suggestions... The Pub on Huay Kaew Road

I'll second that.

For what the OP is seeking, The Pub is certainly worth going a bit out of the way.

Very civilized in all respects.

Also offers rooms for rent, if you wish to stay on the premises.

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

your first port of call should be number 1 bar soi 1 loy kroh road.

it has lots of tvs showing sports

...................... showing aljazera and other news chanels almost all the time.

....... lots of choices of beers at a good price.

....... 3 pool tables

....... food that looks good to me.

...... freindly : Attentive : if wanted ? staff : )

...... a good atmosphere where you can usually strike up a conversation with anyone.

...... good music played at a decent volume that doesnt blast you out of the door.

...... a boss that cares about her customers .... you have a problem ? see her its sorted.

...... a security man who will park your bike and bring you the keys.

and finally clean toilets !

where else are you going to find a bar that feeds you , sells you beer , a freind if you need one , where you can watch the news or sport while listening to good music at a reasonable volume or chatting to someone ?

second choice is half moon bar soi 2 moonmuang road , a much smaller place but very similar offering food sports tv music freindly staff etc

third choice is mad dogs moonmuang road , shows all sports , good food . music ok but too much jazz played for me.

fourth choice is blue sky bar especially if you like to watch some good pool players but too much rock music often played WAY too loud for a bar

check them out .... enjoy ..... dave 2

ps ... i have nothing to do with any of these bars im just a customer !

Seconded. Hassle-free, spotlessly clean, friendly, good beer, pool, wifi, several tv channels on different screens, pool, music not so loud you can't have a conversation ... (although I've not been too impressed by the food).

No connection either (although with the amount I spent there especially in the early days, I should be a shareholder by now :o )

Seconded. Hassle-free, spotlessly clean, friendly, good beer, pool, wifi, several tv channels on different screens, pool, music not so loud you can't have a conversation ... (although I've not been too impressed by the food).

No connection either (although with the amount I spent there especially in the early days, I should be a shareholder by now :o )

I agree also. probably the best bar in Chiang mai, closely followed by The What. IMHO.

Thanks for the tips guys, am looking forward to a weekend off.

Here is a challenge....anyone know if these places will be showing the rugby league world cup???

You may be out of luck on this one. Australia Network or DSTV don't seem to be carrying it so the bars will probably not be able to get a satellite feed.

Thanks for the tips guys, am looking forward to a weekend off.

Here is a challenge....anyone know if these places will be showing the rugby league world cup???

You may be out of luck on this one. Australia Network or DSTV don't seem to be carrying it so the bars will probably not be able to get a satellite feed.

Yeah I thought that may be the case, In b\Bangkok we go to a bar that has PNG TV plus they download a few games and replay them.

You can't beat the "Mad Dod" on Moon Muang.

And whilst you are sitting there you can watch the outside world (which if you are in No 1 bar is a very very small world)

Sure - you can watch the clouds of blue smoke going by on the moat road :o . (To be fair though I quite like the Mad Dog).

Whaddya mean ... since early this year there's a great view from the Number 1 Bar! You can sit and watch the girls serving in Number 1 Bar Mark 2 across the soi! (and vice-versa) ... :D

As alternatives to the current suggestions... The Pub on Huay Kaew Road

I'll second that.

Yeah, the Pub's alright for a pint although perhaps a bit of a bore and isn't within walking distance of anywhere. At that end of the scale, I think Tuskers is a fair bit ahead for ambience, locale, people etc. You could also try either of the Saloon's - one down Loi Kroh and the other just up Ratwithi near the Irish - both of which are non-girlie, have sports and a decent spread of people.

Whatever the interior merits of any bar on or off Loy Kroh Road, my take is that the transit to and from it guarantees to get you the incessant "hello-where-you-go-have-a-dink" chorus from every bar within hailing distance.......

That's funny I usually get, 'Hello Hunsum Man' :o

Got to be Mad Dog if you are an Anglo Saxon. no contest. No doubt will be showing Rugby.

"Tuskers" for thinking, and a relaxed meal and beers.

"Mad Dog" for eating, and sports. The proprietor has been in CM since time began. Awesome staff. Cant beat it. Right next to the red light zone, but not in it. So you can watch from a safe distance.

"Spotlight" also shows sports in the evening (so i have been told) and have a happy hour (so ive heard) - although its not particularly relaxing in there (apparently).

"The Pub" is good in the evenings, you will feel like you are in Dorset!

Obviously the best bars are Thai bars, with thai prices ( big chang/leo 50 baht) and 'pretty girls' in uniform who sell beer and whisky. But they wont be showing the rugger. Why none of the farang bars have "PG's" or "pretty girls" i just dont know. Beer tastes so much better when poured by a miniskirted PG as opposed to a goodtime girl.

Edited by UKWEBPRO

The U.N Irish would be worth a punt specifically for the rugby as Sandy the proprietor is a big fan and they have 3 TVs on different feeds. Food is pretty good too and they even do a reasonably decent pint of Guiness. Otherwise another vote for the Number 1 Bar from me.

Cheers,

Pikey.

The U.N Irish would be worth a punt specifically for the rugby as Sandy the proprietor is a big fan and they have 3 TVs on different feeds. Food is pretty good too and they even do a reasonably decent pint of Guiness. Otherwise another vote for the Number 1 Bar from me.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sorry guys it Rugby League I am after (the real game ha ha, only joking dont want to start that old dog again)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sorry guys it Rugby League I am after (the real game ha ha, only joking dont want to start that old dog again)

Sandy will also be your best best for NRL or the RL World Cup. He's a fan of that too and if it can be shown, he will do it.

:o:D:D:D:D:( a very nice place also with free internet and good food and kinda quiet without the bar girls is the Kafe on moonmuang ,very clean and a lot cheaper than no 1 bar .very nice atmosphere too. have you ever been to santias grotto on tha phae soi two corner of changmoi where the owner joins in on the drums on the weekend jamsessions? she's quit a lady !