Non-tidal Boat Launching Ramp

RaeB

Anybody know where there is a boat launching ramp where it's possible to launch say a 16 to 18 ft boat on a simple trailer at just about any tide state.

Preferably in the south of the island (I live in the Chalong area) but that ramp only appears usable about 2 hours each side of high tide at best.

Thanks and hope somebody can assist

Cheers

Rae

Anybody know where there is a boat launching ramp where it's possible to launch say a 16 to 18 ft boat on a simple trailer at just about any tide state.

Preferably in the south of the island (I live in the Chalong area) but that ramp only appears usable about 2 hours each side of high tide at best.

Thanks and hope somebody can assist

Cheers

Rae

We've been researching this as my OH has just bought a 24 foot boat. Boat Lagoon (halfway up the island) has a ramp and with a boat your size you can launch at, well, a good part of the day, though you have a 40 minute chug through the channel to the sea.

We've just booked a berth at the new Ao Po marina in the North East. They are currently building a ramp - when we looked last week it was I guess about half built. Probably operational in a few weeks. On the face of it, Ao Po is a long way from the South (we are also in the South) but you launch right out onto the sea into Phanga Nga bay (no channels, no tidal issues whatsoever).

http://www.aopograndmarina.com/pages/location.html

what sort of boat is it and what is her draft?

I'm assuming it's some sort of dinghy or trailer/sailer with a daggerboard rather than a keel ?

If that's the case then what's wrong with the ramp at Jimmy's lighthouse?

where are you going to keep the boat? on a mooring or take it out of the water each time?

I sail a 15 foot boat out of Phuket Yacht Club at Ao Yon. It's parked on the beach. 600b a month.

It IS tidal there, however, it's nothing like as much as Chalong bay, and the seabed slopes quite sharply, so you're in deep water very quickly - again NOT like Chalong bay.

The tidal range in Ao Yon is something like 3 to 5 metres, so you dont have to walk the boat very far to the waters edge at any state of tide. Push it off the trailer and you'll be in 3 feet of water almost straight away.

Vehicular access with a boat on a trailer can be tricky there due to the access road.

If you live in the south then try to keep it in the south! The closer the boat is to you - the more sailing you are likely to do!

See you on the water

Hope this helps ya

obviously not at this time of year, but one of my mates launches his boat directly off the Kata beach which would be one of the worst sand wise (as the sand is so soft). Seems ok;

Just drive onto the beach, flick the mast up, push the boat into the water and then drive back up; there is a ramp at the northern end of the beach. Best not to do at 9am or 5pm when the boat boys are using the ramp.

If you can find similar on the east coast, there should be a few places suited to this.

Samui ok as well, however the sand there is even more soft and problematic.

BTW he uses a 2WD but it is a pick up...shot of the vessel on trailer as shown. 22 foot yacht smiilar to the one shown below. seems fine.

post-19416-1224680026_thumb.jpg

Edited by steveromagnino