Bot, These Idiots Are In Cloud Cookoo Land.

Just went to the ATM and found that foreign ATM cards have been restricted to 10K Baht per day where in the past 8 years that I know of it has been 20K. Bullshit propped up x-rates and political instability have had a huge effect on tourism now this!! What are these idiots thinking about??? Can’t even take the latest TGF to the gold shop and buy her a Baht of coloured crap to hang on her neck.

They are propping their overvalued Baht to the tune of 25% and it is costing them big heaps of accumulated USD --- Watch for the CRASH. We will all benefit! :o

Does this apply for all ATM's and for all foreign ATM cards? If yes, this would be bad for tourism. Many tourists depend on ATM cards to get refuelled with cash, and they could very well need to make a withdrawal of over 10.000 sometimes.

Bdenner, you don't chance to be Icelandic don't you? :o

Are you sure this isn't your bank's policy rather than a Thai Bank Policy? I only ask because from my experience there was never a 20,000 thb limit per day. I have one bank that has a daily withdrawal limit of 400 usd and another that has a 2,500 usd daily limit.

The only limit I am aware of is a 20,000 thb per transaction limits on all banks other than Bangkok Bank which allows 25,000 thb. These limits are based on the number of Bills, not money.

If you need more than this, you just put the card back in and make another withdrawal.

So are you sure that your ATM was not just out of 1000 thb notes and could only allow 10,000 thb (20 x 500 thb notes???)

Are you sure this isn't your bank's policy rather than a Thai Bank Policy? I only ask because from my experience there was never a 20,000 thb limit per day. I have one bank that has a daily withdrawal limit of 400 usd and another that has a 2,500 usd daily limit.

The only limit I am aware of is a 20,000 thb per transaction limits on all banks other than Bangkok Bank which allows 25,000 thb. These limits are based on the number of Bills, not money.

If you need more than this, you just put the card back in and make another withdrawal.

So are you sure that your ATM was not just out of 1000 thb notes and could only allow 10,000 thb (20 x 500 thb notes???)

I had visited 3 ATM's in town Kasikorn, Bkk Bank and Siam. All told me that 10K was the limit. I then went to my local for a beer and 3 guys from various nationalities had the same problem. I wont say what my bank imposed daily limit is but it is well in excess of 20K. Put the card in twice doubles the Fees!!!!

All told me that 10K was the limit. I then went to my local for a beer and 3 guys from various nationalities had the same problem. I wont say what my bank imposed daily limit is but it is well in excess of 20K. Put the card in twice doubles the Fees!!!!

drink one beer less to compensate.

Just went to the ATM and found that foreign ATM cards have been restricted to 10K Baht per day where in the past 8 years that I know of it has been 20K. Bullshit propped up x-rates and political instability have had a huge effect on tourism now this!! What are these idiots thinking about??? Can’t even take the latest TGF to the gold shop and buy her a Baht of coloured crap to hang on her neck.

(bdenner @ 2008-10-20 07:18:21) *

All told me that 10K was the limit. I then went to my local for a beer and 3 guys from various nationalities had the same problem. I wont say what my bank imposed daily limit is but it is well in excess of 20K. Put the card in twice doubles the Fees!!!!

:o:D:D

:o

Gotta love Naam's replies & comments.

Hmmm.

Changing times? Or tempory glitch? ! :o

Tempory glitch....My Mrs has just drawn THB 50,000 out of one of my offshore accounts via foreign ATM card with no problems, so if there is limited being placed its been done by the OP's own bank not the Thai bank

My friend told me this weekend, it is no possible to get AU$ at bank or black market, I ask him about transfer, he said bank refuse if it is not something like tuition fees or business.

Perhaps the banks are trying to get less foreign exchange rates into the country? BOT are getting low in fund to manipulate the currency?

But perhaps it is an absurd idea & the baht should be strong because TIT

:D

i don't deny that i appreciate comments like yours JoeSXP. but quite often my comments are nothing special but stating obvious facts. there's chap who bitches that he can't buy one Baht of gold (13k THB) for the girlfriend he (right now) favours and at the same time he complains about an additional ATM fee of 20 or perhaps 30 Baht. next time he might complain that the 9-head strong crew of his 300' yacht demands an increase because rice has risen in price and that's why he has to cut down on his consumption of Beluga caviar and Veuve Clicquot.

AH SEZ GIMME A BREAK AND GET REAL :o

Here's a novel idea. Walk into any bank with your credit card & your passport.

Ask to be directed to the foreign exchange window. Tell the nice lady or man how many baht you need. Within minutes you will be on your way with the cash.

Naam. Why do some of these people make easy things hard?

Do they just love to whine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do they just love to whine?

Yes, and they just love coming up with conspirancy theories that the whole of the Thai banking system is against all farangs, as my Mrs proved today there is no limit of THB 10,000 placed on the use of foreign ATM cards at Thai banks....

Just went to the ATM and found that foreign ATM cards have been restricted to 10K Baht per day where in the past 8 years that I know of it has been 20K. Bullshit propped up x-rates and political instability have had a huge effect on tourism now this!! What are these idiots thinking about??? Can't even take the latest TGF to the gold shop and buy her a Baht of coloured crap to hang on her neck.

They are propping their overvalued Baht to the tune of 25% and it is costing them big heaps of accumulated USD --- Watch for the CRASH. We will all benefit! :o

Not all foreign cards. I took out 40000 in two consecutive withdrawals today and the same yesterday.

Do we actually know that the BOT is doing currency interventions? Have they said as much recently?

Just went to the ATM and found that foreign ATM cards have been restricted to 10K Baht per day where in the past 8 years that I know of it has been 20K. Bullshit propped up x-rates and political instability have had a huge effect on tourism now this!! What are these idiots thinking about??? Can't even take the latest TGF to the gold shop and buy her a Baht of coloured crap to hang on her neck.

Not all foreign cards. I took out 40000 in two consecutive withdrawals today and the same yesterday.

Do we actually know that the BOT is doing currency interventions? Have they said as much recently?

Yes, they have:

Suchart: Baht devaluation can help exports

(BangkokPost.com) - Finance Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvej said he would like the baht currency to depreciate by five per cent to help stimulate the export sector and shoulder the economy in 2009.

The economic growth for next year should stay at four percent or lower while the export growth would be no more than 10 percent due to the global economic crisis, he said.

The minister said he will discuss the devaluation of Thai baht with Deputy Prime Minister Olarn Chaipravat, who is in charge of overseeing the national economy.

However, Bank of Thailand (BoT) governor Tarisa Watanagase said the central bank will carry on keeping the value of Thai baht to be in line with other regional currencies.

She said foreign investors were selling off their shares to support their mother companies in Europe and the United States, causing the Thai currency to weaken.

According to the BoT chief, keeping the value of baht to the same level as other currencies in Asia would not cause Thai exporters to be at a disadvantage. However, they should adjust themselves by expanding and improving their investments.

The baht on Monday was little changed at around 34.4 per US dollar.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131529

Ask to be directed to the foreign exchange window. Tell the nice lady or man how many baht you need. Within minutes you will be on your way with the cash.

i think it's a matter of trying to compensate personal frustration DotCom. but if that is the case it should be done in a way which does not insult our intellligence or the intelligence of any TV-member possessing an IQ of or above 82.75 :o

i don't deny that i appreciate comments like yours JoeSXP. but quite often my comments are nothing special but stating obvious facts. there's chap who bitches that he can't buy one Baht of gold (13k THB) for the girlfriend he (right now) favours and at the same time he complains about an additional ATM fee of 20 or perhaps 30 Baht. next time he might complain that the 9-head strong crew of his 300' yacht demands an increase because rice has risen in price and that's why he has to cut down on his consumption of Beluga caviar and Veuve Clicquot.

AH SEZ GIMME A BREAK AND GET REAL :D

I think you're being a bit harsh :D

If you're using a UK ATM card (not Nationwide) you can be charged about £2.50 per transaction plus a poor exchange rate. This could cost a fiver or more on a withdrawal. Yeah, it's not the end of the world but it's a few beers...and the banking system hasn't exactly covered itself in glory lately :o

RAZZ

They are propping their overvalued Baht to the tune of 25% and it is costing them big heaps of accumulated USD --- Watch for the CRASH. We will all benefit! :D

There must be something wrong with your 'home bank" . Check out why your bank has `convinced` the Thai bank to lower the amount.

And it is also a way of protecting you, to give the thought of buying gold for the present girlfriend another night of sleeping, these things are better thought over very well..... :o

Stickman was spreading a rumor this week about , well here it is. supposedly from a reader

With banks collapsing or under threat all over the world - even big banks, let alone the small essentially local banks that Thailand has - I decided it might be prudent to remove my savings and transfer the money to a safe deposit box before the money suddenly becomes unavailable. Because the chances of the Thai government bailing out banks in Thailand is as likely as a white Christmas on Sukhumvit. It seems many people have had the same idea, because every single one of the 8,000 boxes at the main Bangkok Bank branch on Silom have been rented already. That seems to tell you a great deal about public confidence in the local banking system, doesn’t it?

i did that, same reply/problem, limited to 20k, have NEVER had that problem before, i rang my uk bank, my account was fine, limit is thai,....... :o

AH SEZ GIMME A BREAK AND GET REAL :D

I think you're being a bit harsh :D

If you're using a UK ATM card (not Nationwide) you can be charged about £2.50 per transaction plus a poor exchange rate. This could cost a fiver or more on a withdrawal. Yeah, it's not the end of the world but it's a few beers...and the banking system hasn't exactly covered itself in glory lately :o

RAZZ

i might have been "a bit harsh" Razz and i agree that for some people an additional 150 wasted Baht is a pain in the àss, after all it's two beers :D (i assume). but one has to look at the fees and the context (see above). the poor exchange rate is an invalid argument. rates do not get necessarily more poor when two withdrawals are made within a couple of minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
Stickman was spreading a rumor this week about , well here it is. supposedly from a reader

With banks collapsing or under threat all over the world - even big banks, let alone the small essentially local banks that Thailand has - I decided it might be prudent to remove my savings and transfer the money to a safe deposit box before the money suddenly becomes unavailable. Because the chances of the Thai government bailing out banks in Thailand is as likely as a white Christmas on Sukhumvit. It seems many people have had the same idea, because every single one of the 8,000 boxes at the main Bangkok Bank branch on Silom have been rented already. That seems to tell you a great deal about public confidence in the local banking system, doesn’t it?

So if the banks can't supply money to their customers they presumably are closed, thus access to safe deposit boxes is denied in that process! A much better idea would be to let me hold the money for safe keeping because I would take really good care of it. :o

Sorry this is not true in my experience 20000 per day perhaps.