Transferring Funds To Los From Uk

I have done a search in the forum, but have been unable to find the answer.

There are plenty of choices to transfer money from my UK bank into my Thai bank. (Bangkok Bank)

Trnsfer money from UK to Thailand banks (Swift)

Expensive for relatively small amounts. Usually have to be in UK.

Deposit UK cheque in Thai bank

Takes up to 6 weeks to clear, no control over xchange rate, around 400 Baht charge.

Deposit using UK debit card

Cost 60 Baht. Do you still get the rip off xchange rate, same as when you use the ATM? Do you still get charged 1.5% handling charge by UK bank?

What I'm considering is opening a sterling account with the Bangkok Bank.

Can I then pay in a UK cheque?

If I was to make a deposit using my UK debit card in £, would I be charged 60 Baht, same as a Baht deposit? If I deposited say £500 would just the £500 be deducted from my UK account or would there be additional fees?

Using my UK debit card in a Thai ATM usually means an exchange rate of 3% less than you can get for changing travel cheques in Thailand and on top of this is the 1.5% handling fee, so makes it an expensive way to transfer funds. Occasionely convenient though.

Anyone have any info on the Nationwide account. I understand that there is no handling fee with them. Anyone know how the exchange rate compares?

Any info much appreciated

Thanks

Loong

Check out under banking and finance...re nationwide (old post)

If you ever go near to an ATM in Sam.Prat.you will find all of the wifes nieces and their mates using them on their way to the Uni.

(Flex -accounts-NO CHARGES AT ALL)

Thinking of asking Nationwide to open up a local branch there. :o

anyway...

There was a good article yesterday in the London edition of the Daily Mail yesterday highlighting the fact that the big Banks (especially UK ones)are really "coining" it in profit wise by all the little extra charges lumped onto holiday makers/tourist bills when they use their credit and ATM cards overseas.

In the case of one family...2.2 kids et al,on their annual hols to god forsaken Majorka or somewhere they used there cards for cash withdrawals,ice creams and probabally nodding donkeys and estimated that the charges came to £80.(extras)

These banks could show Gordon Brown and the US IRS a thing or 2.

I have mentioned before that with the old Nationwide BS card (sorry cant speak for our U.S.buddies)you pay Nothing-Nil-Zilch-Mai-mai-mai £ on cash withdrawals from your own flex A/c.(as before I do not work for them) I just do NOT LIKE being RIPPED OFF by the leeches...err ..financial institutions.

If you want to chuck you dosh away.....chok dee na krup