Brussels Sprouts

tutsiwarrior

I like brussels sprouts...don't yew? In true TV fashion I shall describe my meal now being prepared by my ex-wife. Two pork loins brought fresh from the Shoreham-on Sea Tescos, sprouts an' tatties. The ex sez to me 'bein' out there in Thailand didn't do nothin' about your taste for sprouts...'

nice fresh loin, smothered in dijon, wrapped in tin foil and popped into a low heat oven. When the cooking is finished scrape the burned fat and mix with double cream (Soupy Sales: 'mah wife can't make apple pie but she sure can make my banana cream...' :D ) The mixture should be just thick enuf to coat a spoon lightly (a Julia Child sauce criterion) Arrange nicely with the sprouts and boiled new potatoes...

you can do the same in Thailand as pork loin is readily available but the sprouts and the tatties are hard to find...

:o

Fortunately at my age (64) I don't HAVE to eat Brussels Sprouts any more.

I went off them while in the military and when I was married the first time in the UK my ex mother in law used to boil the dam_n things to death.

They were not so bad on boxing day with bubble & sqeak, cold pork and HP sauce.

I don't eat garden peas either but processed peas cold in the tin from the fridge is super. My son thought it was revolting, though this from a young man who eats cold baked beans.

I am working in New Zealand with access to western food but I am coming back for 3 weeks in December and January to really good Thai food at home with my family.

I like brussels sprouts...don't yew? In true TV fashion I shall describe my meal now being prepared by my ex-wife. Two pork loins brought fresh from the Shoreham-on Sea Tescos, sprouts an' tatties. The ex sez to me 'bein' out there in Thailand didn't do nothin' about your taste for sprouts...'

nice fresh loin, smothered in dijon, wrapped in tin foil and popped into a low heat oven. When the cooking is finished scrape the burned fat and mix with double cream (Soupy Sales: 'mah wife can't make apple pie but she sure can make my banana cream...' :D ) The mixture should be just thick enuf to coat a spoon lightly (a Julia Child sauce criterion) Arrange nicely with the sprouts and boiled new potatoes...

you can do the same in Thailand as pork loin is readily available but the sprouts and the tatties are hard to find...

:o

Delicious, some parsenips with that lot would be nice!!

Not sure if it is a nationwide thing but Big C on the Sukhumvit Rd Pattaya are selling fresh Brussels Sprouts for 38 baht.

They are in the cooler section (towards the right hand side for those that want to look) and are in small trays with a cling film wrapper.

They are the small button sized variety and are delicious. (I know because I have been over indulging in them since I discovered them)

I presume that because of the price they are grown in Thailand but where I don't know.

Not sure if it is a nationwide thing but Big C on the Sukhumvit Rd Pattaya are selling fresh Brussels Sprouts for 38 baht.

They are in the cooler section (towards the right hand side for those that want to look) and are in small trays with a cling film wrapper.

They are the small button sized variety and are delicious. (I know because I have been over indulging in them since I discovered them)

I presume that because of the price they are grown in Thailand but where I don't know.

Well I just told the wife about these and she dissed htem saying they were indeed very small but too old!

She buys them from Villa every weekend where amazingly they allow her to select individual sprouts from the kilo bags so that she can get the perfect tight and young ones ( sprouts were talking about!)

Im not sure where they come from. Australia I guess, but cooked for ONLY 3 minutes they are wonderful. 4 minutes and they are inedible!

My UK mum taught her how to cook them( and evrything else).Thank God!

Well I just told the wife about these and she dissed htem saying they were indeed very small but too old!

She buys them from Villa every weekend where amazingly they allow her to select individual sprouts from the kilo bags so that she can get the perfect tight and young ones ( sprouts were talking about!)

Im not sure where they come from. Australia I guess, but cooked for ONLY 3 minutes they are wonderful. 4 minutes and they are inedible!

My UK mum taught her how to cook them( and evrything else).Thank God!

this is what I'm talkin' about...my mother was from an andean village in Bolivia just outside of Cochabamba and my Nashville, TN grandmother taught her how to do turkey and trimmings for the ususal holidays...

brussels sprouts: vital to humanity's cohesion...

(there was a campesina girl named Romualda who got my 15 y.o. blood racing as I observed her squatting in the dust and slaughtering guinea pigs - grab them by the scruff a slice off their little heads with a crude but wickedly sharp knife...)

I liked them my sunday roast especially after a good session and then the mrs would give me a hard time for having to many but 4 hours later i would take my revenge they work better than mushy peas ever did.

They were not quoted in the divorce papers but i'm sure the old brussel helped.Only seen them on a menu on xmas day here.

P.S anywhere for decent mushy peas in Bangkok 6 years and still looking.

The official accompiament with brussle sprouts is;

A slow roasted sirlion joint, [about 5 hrs at 140c] so its still a little red in the middle,

Roast taters, roast parsnip, roast jerusalem artichokes, yorkshire pudings,

Blanched [till tender] sliced carrotts, peas,brussell sprouts,

Potatoe mash with some fresh chopped shallott stalks and a little butter,

HorseRadish or colemans mustard for the tender beef of course,and a gravy made from the beef and veg juice with an oxo cube.

To avoid Vertical Take Off, a few drops of Sarsons Malt vinegar on each sprout will help avoid this, as for the artichokes, your stomach will sort the gasses quite quikly.

Hope i aint made you all hungry? Cheers, Lickey.

parsnips and mushy peas have now been added to the mixture...these are things that I used to contemplate during the cold East Midland winters with my ex-wife when we lived there. Parsnips go great inna mash. My ex, having grown up in Scotland is into root vegetables...we did the Monster Mash: parsnips, tatties and carrots, so righteous that it overshadowed the roast itself. (don't be stingy with the milk and unsalted butter...)

there are sum weird looking root vegetables at the tescos in supahnburi but even my thai wife don't know what to do widdem... :o

The official accompiament with brussle sprouts is;

A slow roasted sirlion joint, [about 5 hrs at 140c] so its still a little red in the middle,

Roast taters, roast parsnip, roast jerusalem artichokes, yorkshire pudings,

Blanched [till tender] sliced carrotts, peas,brussell sprouts,

Potatoe mash with some fresh chopped shallott stalks and a little butter,

HorseRadish or colemans mustard for the tender beef of course,and a gravy made from the beef and veg juice with an oxo cube.

To avoid Vertical Take Off, a few drops of Sarsons Malt vinegar on each sprout will help avoid this, as for the artichokes, your stomach will sort the gasses quite quikly.

Hope i aint made you all hungry? Cheers, Lickey.

First line is hillarious, the poster paints up BP's as the main and the roast beer as the condiment. :o:D:D:D:D