Level of censorship

plachon

I've noticed a couple of times, messages I've posted being removed without comment, the last time being on a thread started by MaiChai about the general topic of Visa fees increase and his experiences at the Liverpool consulate. The person who posted after me ("Mrentoul" I think), also had his message deleted. The only possible reason I can think for this is that we both gave a mild rebuke about Dr Patpong's criticism of certain earlier posts. nothing personal or seditious, just general observation of style. Most of the posting related to other stuff totally unconnected to Dr P and of interest to all people I would imagine. But both postings have just been wiped away.

So, my question is this: What is your policy re. censorship and do the "panelists" confer before they take such a draconian action? It certainly seems Singapore-style extreme to me and would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same experience on this Forum and if so, how much "free-speech" is allowed? Or does it come down to the sensitivity of just one member of the panel?

I have had half-a-dozen or more posts wiped from this board, though Pat-Pong is not always the person doing the wiping.

Viewed is isolation posts can sometimes look extreme; viewed in the context of a thread or a debate they may not.

My post in the visa thread, now deleted, took issue with Pat-Pong's jaundiced view of visa fee increases (inspired by his jaundiced view of westerners ie that they are always complaining about something).

In that respect, as you say, my post was in keeping with that of others in the thread ie we believe the fee rises seem exorbitant, while Pat-Pong tells us we are all ''armchair critics'' and should get over it.

My remarks were rather unkind to Pat-Pong, so I can understand why he might have been upset. Regarding censorship, however, if a post refers to a moderator in an unflattering light, that moderator should ideally seek comment from another one about before taking it down, lest questions be raised about his impartiality.

If I criticise Pat-Pong then of course he's not going to like it, so he'll take it down as soon as he can. That might conflict with his role as a moderator, however, to permit debate that's fair, open and reasonable.

Given the amount of unhappiness Pat-Pong appears to cause on this board I think he should surrender his moderating job. Mind you, that's just my opinion, and no doubt if he's moderating this board as well he'll take this post off pretty smartly too.

I'm in agreement with you there Mrentoul, tho' it seems no one else (so far) has had the same experience, or perhaps they just don't realise their posts have been erased? I can understand a certain level of prudent censorship on sensitive issues like the Royal Family, and have no objections there, but since when has Dr P had blue blood I wonder? Like I said, our posts were very mild and fair criticism, and could not be construed as insulting. The guy does have a tendency to savage others, often without reading their full posts or misunderstanding them, and then give extremely short answers, with very little constructive input. A contrast in styles to the helpful other moderators, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he should remove himself as a moderator. Perhaps just reform a wee bit and definitely refrain from draconian censorship, that benefits no-one but himself.

Still left wondering what though is the Forum policy on censorship. Who has the decision on what goes and what stays?

As far as I can tell, I've only had one post deleted from the forum. The post was removed by george because it was very 'critical' of immigration officials. However, george eMailed me and advised of the removed and the reasons why. I had no complaints.

I had a look in the moderator logs, and the removed few posts was removed by a junior moderator. You are right, we are not schooled moderators, we just do this volountarily without payment.

We have temporarliy removed the said junior moderator from this task.

Remaining moderators now are George, Dr Pat_ Pong, Fester, and special moderators/forum leaders are: call king, Rinrada, Elfe, Expatsclub, and MekhongKurt.

You can see the listed moderators in the forum branch description.

Any complaints over the moderation can be done to me. Thanks.