Within the next 6 months I'll be looking at changing banks in the UK - both my Business and Current account are held by NatWest.

I'm less than pleased with their service...but pure laziness over the last few years has prevented me from "walking".

Can any members offer any suggestions for UK Banks with a good network in Asia, specifically, Thailand, Singapore or Hong Kong as I will be relocating to one of these destinations?

Is the obvious choice HSBC?

Much appreciated :o

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Within the next 6 months I'll be looking at changing banks in the UK - both my Business and Current account are held by NatWest.

I'm less than pleased with their service...but pure laziness over the last few years has prevented me from "walking".

Can any members offer any suggestions for UK Banks with a good network in Asia, specifically, Thailand, Singapore or Hong Kong as I will be relocating to one of these destinations?

RAZZ

Yep you want HSBC or Standard Chartered really....

If you are relocating though a local bank in which ever country will be much easier to operate. If you are in Singapore you can stick with HSBC or Standard Chartered - but in thailand a local bank.

If you are relocating though a local bank in which ever country will be much easier to operate. If you are in Singapore you can stick with HSBC or Standard Chartered - but in thailand a local bank.

Thanks for the quick reply :o

I'm specifically concerned about online issues, say of having an account in Thailand with Bangkok Bank, and transferring money from Natwest in the UK.

It just seems it would be so much easier if they were all "linked". Or am I worrying too much :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

RAZZ

Your first problem..HSBC and Standard Chartered are not "UK" banks so to speak of.

In my experience HSBC service, fees etc are absolutely dire, to put it politely they are Sh*t.

Although not a "UK" bank have a look at Citibank international personal banking in Singapore, I bailed from HSBC quite a few years ago because of poor service and moved over to CIPB and was the best move I ever made related to banking, customer service is excellent

Thanks for the quick reply :o

I'm specifically concerned about online issues, say of having an account in Thailand with Bangkok Bank, and transferring money from Natwest in the UK.

It just seems it would be so much easier if they were all "linked". Or am I worrying too much :D

RAZZ

I have a UK account with Barclays and it is impossble to make an international trf over the internet. Below 5k they will move to an account in my name over the phone, above 5k they need an original letter...really stupid stuff. Not sure about Natwest but I reckon it would be tricky, expensive and you would get screwed on the rate.

If you are relocating and not going back in the near future, bring your money with you and stick it in a local bank.

RAZZ

Your first problem..HSBC and Standard Chartered are not "UK" banks so to speak of.

In my experience HSBC service, fees etc are absolutely dire, to put it politely they are Sh*t.

Although not a "UK" bank have a look at Citibank international personal banking in Singapore, I bailed from HSBC quite a few years ago because of poor service and moved over to CIPB and was the best move I ever made related to banking, customer service is excellent

HSBC and Standard Chartered are both UK banks......

Standard Chartered makes about 90% of its business in Asia, but it is still a UK bank. HSBC is a UK bank.

RAZZ

Standard Chartered makes about 90% of its business in Asia, but it is still a UK bank. HSBC is a UK bank.

"The HSBC name is derived from the founding member of the group, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, established in Hong Kong and Shanghai in 1865 to finance international trade along the coast of China"

The Standard bank portion of Standard Chartered originated in South Africa.

They may be based out the UK now, but not a "UK" bank in same vein as Lloyds or Barclays...

So think we will agree to disagree on this one.

"The HSBC name is derived from the founding member of the group, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, established in Hong Kong and Shanghai in 1865 to finance international trade along the coast of China"

They may be based out the UK now, but not a "UK" bank in same vein as Lloyds or Barclays...

HSBSC owns the old "Midland Bank"...showing my age here :o

I suppose you're both right.. :D

Technically, Natwest is now Scottish as its's owned by RBS :D

RAZZ

I have a UK account with Barclays and it is impossble to make an international trf over the internet. Below 5k they will move to an account in my name over the phone, above 5k they need an original letter...really stupid stuff. Not sure about Natwest but I reckon it would be tricky, expensive and you would get screwed on the rate.

If you are relocating and not going back in the near future, bring your money with you and stick it in a local bank.

Interesting...

Do you just add an account as a payee and pay online or is that impossible? Or do you have to phone?

RAZZ

well I think we both do agree that if you are living, working and playing in Asia it is best to use an Asia bank for day to day stuff.

I am in Singapore and use DBS/POSB and have no problems with them whatsover.

International payments from UK banks online = tricky in my experience (and expensive)

I would lump the cash in a bank over here.

(I wish I did that last year when I could get $3 SGD to GBP, now its $2.45 and falling!!!!!)

Interesting...

Do you just add an account as a payee and pay online or is that impossible? Or do you have to phone?

RAZZ

For international online it is impossible. Online is only payments to UK banks.

I think if you are a Barclays Wealth customer you can do international but I guess you have to pay through the nose for this type of service and seeing as I am not in the UK it is going to be pretty tricky to open one.

well I think we both do agree that if you are living, working and playing in Asia it is best to use an Asia bank for day to day stuff.

I am in Singapore and use DBS/POSB and have no problems with them whatsover.

International payments from UK banks online = tricky in my experience (and expensive)

I would lump the cash in a bank over here.

(I wish I did that last year when I could get $3 SGD to GBP, now its $2.45 and falling!!!!!)

I will be "living, working and playing" in the Far East.

But I will still have a business in the UK earning £. Just looking at the options of transferring money from the UK out to wherever I may be.

What about HSBC Premier?

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/hsbcpremier?WT.srch=1

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

RAZZ

to settle the issue i suggest heavy sabres sunday morning at dawn in my back garden and will supply snacks and drinks after the duel for a jolly get together.

to settle the issue i suggest heavy sabres sunday morning at dawn in my back garden and will supply snacks and drinks after the duel for a jolly get together.

Very helpful :o

So can you transfer money either "online" or by "phoning" from an a/c in the UK to an a/c abroad?

RAZZ

Why not use Nationwide in the UK? You can take your money out of ATM in Thailand free of charge and with a good exchange rate. Also if you use a credit card with them there are no extra charges and again a good exchange rate.

Their international transfers also work well. I have found it easier to use the UK bank and ATM machines for most of my daily transactions and it is all free and the money can be earning good interest while it is sat in the UK bank.

But exchange rates are something you have to live with at the moment :o