Eva Air/ Thai Airways

With all these airlines going broke, what are the odds of it happening to Eva Air or Thai.

I don't really want to book holiday on credit card.

But is it worth taking the risk ??

If Im pay with my Visa card I am automatically insured if something like this would happen.

It depends on which country the card is issued on, or whether the the card includes separate travel insurance.

i.e. Any credit card issued in the UK, you're covered if the flight costs more than 100 GBP, up to a limit you won't hit without flying a family in First. But that's down to UK law. I'm sure the credit card companies would prefer not to have to cover people if it wasn't a legal requirement.

For a card issued in Thailand - no idea...

Wake up folks, all the airlines going broke were small niche market players.

Both EVA & Thai are professionally run and are the apple of the gov't eyes.. think Tourism.

So whats all the panic about. All this was happening when oil was $145 a barrel, yet this was offset by higher fuel surcharges anyway, and the talk was oil to hit $200. So that's what all the panic was about, and oil at 200 would have indeed caused major problems for airline.

It's now $65 a barrel. They will put strategies in place, so whats all the fuss about? Prices are coming down, and airlines will survive. I doubt the likes of Eva or Thai will have much trouble.

Now whether they can put bums on seats is another matter, so relax and book your tickets.

You have nothing to worry about

Both EVA & Thai are professionally run and are the apple of the gov't eyes.. think Tourism.

So whats all the panic about. All this was happening when oil was $145 a barrel, yet this was offset by higher fuel surcharges anyway, and the talk was oil to hit $200. So that's what all the panic was about, and oil at 200 would have indeed caused major problems for airline.

It's now $65 a barrel. They will put strategies in place, so whats all the fuss about? Prices are coming down, and airlines will survive. I doubt the likes of Eva or Thai will have much trouble.

Now whether they can put bums on seats is another matter, so relax and book your tickets.

Based on your comments above, I would presume you don't fly very much...

1. Saying Thai Air is professionally run flies in the face on the airline's long history of miscues and problems.

2. Barrell oil prices certainly have come down... But I checked with EVA earlier this week, and at that time, their elevated fuel surcharges have remained unchanged, i.e., they have not reduced them all at (as yet) from when barrel oil prices were at their peak (about double what they are now).

So sure, go ahead, buy your ticket. You have nothing to worry about.... Except getting ripped off on your ticket price, or enduring yet another bad flight on Thai Air.

Based on your comments above, I would presume you don't fly very much...

1. Saying Thai Air is professionally run flies in the face on the airline's long history of miscues and problems.

2. Barrell oil prices certainly have come down... But I checked with EVA earlier this week, and at that time, their elevated fuel surcharges have remained unchanged, i.e., they have not reduced them all at (as yet) from when barrel oil prices were at their peak (about double what they are now).

So sure, go ahead, buy your ticket. You have nothing to worry about.... Except getting ripped off on your ticket price, or enduring yet another bad flight on Thai Air.

Yes you presume, but you have no idea..

I stand by everything I said.

I have flow Thai airways many times and I have no complaints, seems you have had a different experience.. not the point. We are talking about the chances of the airline going bust. I am confident in saying that there is little chance of that happening.

Now if one thinks they are too expensive, then thats another matter altogether. Simple. Choose another airline. No one is obligated to fly Thai. How is it being ripped off when you know the price in advance?? What exactly are you on about?

2-3 months ago (when oil was in the 140's) , Emirate had flights BKK - SYD - BKK return for 35,000 baht. I flew to Bkk -Syd -Bkk mid Oct for a 25,700baht.

Now I'd say this has something to do with oil falling & surcharges being lowered, wouldn't you ????

I'm on about this...

Thai Air = old planes, poor/uninterested service on intl flights, and excessively high prices compared to their competitors.

And, re fuel surcharges, I think the subject of the post was EVA and Thai... not Emirates... EVA, as much as I like them and fly them regularly, has not reduced their fuel surcharges at all even while the barrel price of oil has fallen by half... Is that supposed to be a good thing???

I'm on about this...

Thai Air = old planes, poor/uninterested service on intl flights, and excessively high prices compared to their competitors.

And, re fuel surcharges, I think the subject of the post was EVA and Thai... not Emirates... EVA, as much as I like them and fly them regularly, has not reduced their fuel surcharges at all even while the barrel price of oil has fallen by half... Is that supposed to be a good thing???

The OP write:

With all these airlines going broke, what are the odds of it happening to Eva Air or Thai.

I don't really want to book holiday on credit card.

But is it worth taking the risk ??

---------------------------------------------------------

So it seems as though he is either happy to fly EVA or Thai or/& he has got a good price to fly with them. Anyway it doesn't matter.

His concern is paying for the ticket & the airline going broke & losing his hard earned money.

I have voiced my opinion as to why there is little chance of that happening now, mainly the price of oil dropping significantly.

So jf, lets stick to the subject. Seems like you keep getting off track.

The fact YOU don;t like flying Thai has nothing to do with the OP's question of the chance those two airlines going belly up...

The fact I mentioned Emirates is to tell you that surcharges are dropping, and I will repeat, if you are not happy with one airline for whatever reason, try another.

• 4 weeks later...
about £630

Thai wanted around £800

Just as a matter of interest, how long is the ticket valid for ? I paid about 650 ish back in April for a one year return ticket, the return half of which can be changed for no charge. If you try to get the same with another airline, especially Thai, you need a lot more beans in the bank.

I bought the cheapest economy last yr with them and it was as you say now there is a 50gbp charge or no change permitted depending on the day i fly and which website i book it with, and the price is 670gbp whereas Thai are 630gbp.

Think i may fly with Jetairways at 620gbp and spend a week in Mumbia on the way back, only a score to change the ticket.

Thats 1 customer lost from Eva, and Thai planes are too crap, id rather walk.

Edited by spiderman2

I bought the cheapest economy last yr with them and it was as you say now there is a 50gbp charge or no change permitted depending on the day i fly and which website i book it with, and the price is 670gbp whereas Thai are 630gbp.

Funnily enough, I just checked the price with the agent today - Thai wants 53,000 baht, while Eva wants 42,000. I checked multiple dates departing late Jan and returning early Feb.

For Eva's Elite class - 57,900 - and they're quite full, I had to get on a waitlist for the return flight.

Onethailand it would seem youre going in the other direction.

I booked with Jetairways in the end theyre supposed to be quite good plus i can stop in Mumbia and go to Goa for a weekon the way back, going out the stopover is only an hour.

All the cheap flights with Eva seemed to be for 3 months max with no option to change the return date, if i could have done this for free as i could last year i'd have booked as they are very good.

Edited by spiderman2

Onethailand it would seem youre going in the other direction.

I booked with Jetairways in the end theyre supposed to be quite good plus i can stop in Mumbia and go to Goa for a weekon the way back, going out the stopover is only an hour.

All the cheap flights with Eva seemed to be for 3 months max with no option to change the return date, if i could have done this for free as i could last year i'd have booked as they are very good.

Yeah, you're right, I did BKK-LHR-BKK. However, the difference is usually negligible, and more often cheaper in the UK than in Thailand since they run all sorts of promos.

And yes, it was a 3 month ticket (L class), but changing the inbound portion wouldn't have been a problem. The cheapest class would be 1 month with no changes allowed (usually V/Z class).