Eva Air/ Thai Airways

Who knows ! I would think that Thai would be the dodgy one of the two as their price increases are frightening away customers. Including me ! But that doesn't mean they could go out of business.

I flew LHR to BKK on EVA last week - much cheaper than Thai.

With all these airlines going broke, what are the odds of it happening to Eva Air or Thai.

I don't really want to book holiday on credit card.

But is it worth taking the risk ??

If Im pay with my Visa card I am automatically insured if something like this would happen.

I need to book a January 09 flight with EVA between BKK and L.A.

I called and talked with EVA customer service the other day, checking a couple things, including a question of: Now that gas/fuel prices have fallen markedly, when you are guys going to reduce your very high fuel surcharge.

The CSR I was talking with went away and then came back to reply: There have been no recent change in EVA's fuel surcharge, and no word on when any change may be forthcoming.

I don't fly Thai... but I think theirs is even worse (higher).

The ice has got to thaw at some point....

I think they don't lower their surcharge as they're trying to make back money from the big losses a lot of them incurred this year with the sky high (great double meaning) fuel prices. And I don't blame them. It's a business, after all. As for state owned airlines, I believe China Airlines is the flagship airline of Taiwan and owned by the Taiwan government through a proxy while EVA is largely privately owned.

It is fair to say that probably the only airlines who will make a profit this year are those out of the Middle East, but I can see no chance of Eva or Thai going bust, Thai government would never let it happen, and Eva are extremely successful and clever Taiwanese! For cost though i would run with Eva any time. Relax and book we would say

Guy and team

TG on BKK-LHR must introduce new equipment as no seat back TV and only the big screen is so 1980's, not even 1990's. They are so far behind the times the only reason I used to use them was their previously good reward programme (now not good anymore), their direct routing and their prices, especially on TG916.

Now they are far more expensive and offer a very poor product. I do not know why anyone flies with them. I don't anymore.

TG on BKK-LHR must introduce new equipment as no seat back TV and only the big screen is so 1980's, not even 1990's. They are so far behind the times the only reason I used to use them was their previously good reward programme (now not good anymore), their direct routing and their prices, especially on TG916.

Now they are far more expensive and offer a very poor product. I do not know why anyone flies with them. I don't anymore.

As from 2010 you should find Thai using Airbus A380 on Heathrow-Bangkok route.

I flew Thai LHR-BKK 6 weeks ago loads of MT seats, the return flight last monday 47 MT seats, in the back section alone.

I do agree they ARE getting very expensive now, paid £720 but the times you leave and arrive London very good.

Regards.

EVA is bleeding. However, it's secret advantage is that it is part of a diversified cargo company that is making money. EVA has a loyal client base, including me. Now that oil prices have fallen, EVA can stop the bleeding going forward. EVA has management that is fairly free of the political nonsense that I've seen at TG, so it can make the decisions that need to be made to save the airline as it did when it cut back on some routes. TG doesn't have that luxury and despite statements made to the contrary, I think TG is in big, big trouble. No argument that TG has better schedules and slightly better premium services, but at least when I fly EVA I feel that they are happy to have me.

Thai Airways's old 747 really suck. However, once I have flown with TG to Zurich on their new Airbus A340-600 (yes, with personal TVs in Economy) and then connected to London on SWISS. You can even choose to fly to London City.

It's an extra stop. But the added benefit of having my own TV and avoiding Heathrow T3 made it well worth while.

Fares are not much higher for this option.

I wonder if expedia do that. I'll check later.

Probably too late now, but personally, I will never use Expedia to book a ticket. I used them before (the Canadian version), and a couple years ago I was checking some prices. Expedia seemed pretty high, so I checked the airline's site to see the difference. The airline site quoted a price that was almost $600 (Cdn) cheaper than Expedia !

I thought it was an error, so I rechecked everything from scratch, and Expedia still came out almost $600 more. I checked the price for a longer trip (different dates/origins/destinations), and Expedia quoted me prices that were over $1,000 more than I could get from the airline's websites !

Now I check flights (schedules/prices/airlines), get prices, and then go to SaveFlights and see how much better they can do for me. Haven't been disappointed yet.

I'm not positive, as I rarely read the wee little fine print on the credit card agreements/promotions, but if you purchase a ticket using (some) credit cards, don't they come with "trip cancellation" insurance, or some other option to get your money back if an airline cancels a flight or goes bankrupt ?

about £630

Thai wanted around £800

Just as a matter of interest, how long is the ticket valid for ? I paid about 650 ish back in April for a one year return ticket, the return half of which can be changed for no charge. If you try to get the same with another airline, especially Thai, you need a lot more beans in the bank.

I don't want to crow or anything, but I booked with EVA back in May to fly LHR to BKK in Jan 09 and got a price of £550. There seems to be a "sweet spot" for getting cheap prices soon after the flights are released

Ah...yes....but again...how long is the ticket valid for ? 90 day return tickets are usually a lot cheaper than 1 year open tickets.