Labor Ministry Expects A Quarter Million Thais To

Baaksida

Labor Ministry expects a quarter million Thais to lose jobs next year

The Ministry of Labor has forecast that over a quarter million Thais may become unemployed next year, and has prepared measures to cope with the situation. Permanent Secretary for Labor Jaruphong Ruengsuwan said the ministry has begun a scheme to monitor employment and job creating with guidelines and alarm mechanisms for workers for the year 2005.

Jaruphong said that factors have indicated that about 220,000 Thai workers under the government’s social insurance program nationwide might be laid off, or lose their jobs in the year 2005. He said the ministry has identified seven industries which carry a risk for many businesses to close down, namely the food process and animal feeding industry, the textiles and garment industry, the tourism and catering industry, the automobile and parts industry, the electrical and electronic industry, the wood and furniture industry, and the metal and steel industry.

Jaruphong said the ministry has looked for measures to prevent the unemployment by offering helps to increase competitiveness of these industries, and to provide occupational training to workers to help them find other jobs. (TNA)

(Chiangmai Mail, November 27, 2004)

I must say that I'm confused now : I read all these fantastic reports in the newspapers about the expected growth in all these sectors. :D

Or is it that these organizations finally are doing something about the productivity of their emplyees? :o

Labor Ministry expects a quarter million Thais to lose jobs next year

He said the ministry has identified seven industries which carry a risk for many businesses to close down, namely the food process and animal feeding industry, the textiles and garment industry, the tourism and catering industry, the automobile and parts industry, the electrical and electronic industry, the wood and furniture industry, and the metal and steel industry.

Jaruphong said the ministry has looked for measures to prevent the unemployment by offering helps to increase competitiveness of these industries, and to provide occupational training to workers to help them find other jobs. (TNA)

(Chiangmai Mail, November 27, 2004)

I wonder how much work went into "identifying" these at risk Sectors of the Thai Industrial spectrum - since the only one left out as far as I can see is Agriculture!

And even that Sector is certainly going to go through hard times as a result of all the FTA's which the Government is pushing through without proper debate or evaluation.