Mugs Game

if money is no problem why not buy a condo in your own name or company name,then the property is secure for you,and if you want to travel around foot loose and fancy free you can rent it out or just lock it up until you return.

renting is dead money,but if a person has n't sufficent funds,or does n't want to lock up cash then renting is good here in thailand cos its a very cheap way to go.

With regards to security,if someone is in a relationship/married to a thai lady then there are risks if the property is a house and land cos as foreigners we are not allowed to own them outright,and if the relationship goes wrong then basically we are out the door.

I can understand what the OP is saying,but we are all different in our wants and needs,each to their own.

Another thought though,what if the thai authorities made land and house ownership availablle to foreigners,what then?

I think thailand might be swamped with foreign ownership which would certainly push real estate prices up and eventually thailand would not be the relatively cheap place it now is to live,and i for one would probably have to move on.

Buying property in Thailand is not a mugs game.

It is pass the parcel.

Enjoyment is to be had and money to be made as long as you are not the one left holding a stinker.

There is risk but if you don't like it don't play.

Calling losers mugs is the same as being envious of winners.

why on earth would anyone i n their right mind buy property here uinless they are seriously loaded and can afford to lose all.

I can never get over how dumb some people are.

I someone told that that what you were about to buy could

1)never 100 percent be yours

2)you are in a country that if something does go wrong you as a foregner have no real rights or legal recourse

3)The next govnt in can change all rules regarding foreign ownership willy nilly

4)it will be very hard ever to sell what you buy and in all likelihood especillay in the case of a condo it will fall in value

yes all this applies to buying property here so why on earth would anyone do it?

You see adverts all the time for exclusive units in phuket etc

my questions are as these are not condos how can foreigners possibly buy them

and 2 what sort of mug even considers the idea

really really unbelievable

I purchase a condo in Pattaya off the plan for 2.56 million baht. I have now lived there for 4 years 9 months. A friend purchased a similar unit. It has been let over 95% of the time at a minimum rent of 25,000 baht per month

If a had rented not bought a would have already paid 1,425,000 baht in rent.

today 53 THB to the uk pound

stock markets continue to fall

uk property prices falling

Who's the mug ?

I recently sold a one of my properties here and the money I bought from the uk at 72 to the pound will see me a nice profit when it goes back to the uk.

Live and Let LIve , there seems to be more and more anger shown on threads these days, not only on Tv but on other thai forums too....is there an overall regret from the mass on their life choices? or is it just the overall loss of control of ones choices...lighten up guys ......please :o

I`m about to take the plunge and move to thailand and give up on life in the Uk, burnt and better burnt...

Each to there own, whats right for YOU at the TIME .......no different here too i guess

It's all relative.

What to you is a huge amount of money to risk on property in Thailand is for others pocket money a small fraction of their wealth.

While you might have a Thai partner who you have reason not to trust, others are living very normal lives with Thais that they justifiably trust.

While you might marry a Thai but not want the person who shares your life to share the security that home ownership brings, others are happy to share what they have with their wive's/husbands.

I take the view if you can't trust the people you share you life with, you ought to spend a little less time worry about loosing your money and more time about wasting your life with someone you dare not share your life with.

I agree with anything you wrote.

If you live with Thai and you can trust them, why not secure the life with a good foundation, a House. Our House is on my wifes Name and I trust her. As long as I do not anything bad to her she will not cheating.

why on earth would anyone i n their right mind buy property here uinless they are seriously loaded and can afford to lose all.

I can never get over how dumb some people are.

I someone told that that what you were about to buy could

1)never 100 percent be yours

2)you are in a country that if something does go wrong you as a foregner have no real rights or legal recourse

3)The next govnt in can change all rules regarding foreign ownership willy nilly

4)it will be very hard ever to sell what you buy and in all likelihood especillay in the case of a condo it will fall in value

yes all this applies to buying property here so why on earth would anyone do it?

You see adverts all the time for exclusive units in phuket etc

my questions are as these are not condos how can foreigners possibly buy them

and 2 what sort of mug even considers the idea

really really unbelievable

I agree, i have owned but sold ,,now rent ( happier ),.i think its the old habit and being told in our countries " put your money into bricks and mortar " mentality, ie habit,.property here in general is a terrible investment,as as you say we dont own it anyway, if buyers are happy to give it away as you say fair enough,.but for me now i have no interest in buying again, selling seems impossible now, glad im out,.

I bought some land here ,built a house 7.5 mill, sold it for 14mill .Dumb eh?

I certainly wouldn't call it a mugs game unless you just got off the plane fell in love and bought a house in some girls name you've only just met.

On the other hand I have friends here from back home, they have been here years and to be honest if I had listened to everything they told me when I first got here I would be sitting in a bar facing the wall not talking or trusting anything or anyone that even came near me! Some of them have large amounts of money in the bank but do not own absolutely anything here expect the clothes in their rented wardrobes. They are paranoid everyone here is trying to rip you off, don't trust anyone, don't do this, don't do that!

I look at it like this, I want to spend as many years as possible here even though I have to go back to the UK I will return again and again. I want something in my life to say it's mine here in Thailand and I own it. So I bought myself a nice large condo. It gives me a purpose here, a reason, something that's mine and where I can touch base and call home or what is the point? You want to be another one in sat in the bar with absolutely <deleted>*k all but a hangover every day! Sod that for a laugh.

Buying property in Thailand is not a mugs game. It all depends on your personal point of view.

I certainly wouldn't call it a mugs game unless you just got off the plane fell in love and bought a house in some girls name you've only just met.

On the other hand I have friends here from back home, they have been here years and to be honest if I had listened to everything they told me when I first got here I would be sitting in a bar facing the wall not talking or trusting anything or anyone that even came near me! Some of them have large amounts of money in the bank but do not own absolutely anything here expect the clothes in their rented wardrobes. They are paranoid everyone here is trying to rip you off, don't trust anyone, don't do this, don't do that!

I look at it like this, I want to spend as many years as possible here even though I have to go back to the UK I will return again and again. I want something in my life to say it's mine here in Thailand and I own it. So I bought myself a nice large condo. It gives me a purpose here, a reason, something that's mine and where I can touch base and call home or what is the point? You want to be another one in sat in the bar with absolutely <deleted>*k all but a hangover every day! Sod that for a laugh.

Buying property in Thailand is not a mugs game. It all depends on your personal point of view.

2 points of view here , buying an investment property in order to make a return on investment i would classify as a very high risk , i know people here have made money on investment property but talking in general and in today,s market .

Buying a place to live ,and thinking long term about staying here has nothing to do with a "mugs game " that is a lifestyle choice , and should not come under the investment umbrella, of course everyone would like to make a profit on there place ,but it is not the primary issue,

I agree with anything you wrote.

If you live with Thai and you can trust them, why not secure the life with a good foundation, a House. Our House is on my wifes Name and I trust her. As long as I do not anything bad to her she will not cheating.

I too agree with both of you, If I did'nt trust my wife, I wouldnt be here with her and she would'nt be my wife. :o

jens

I agree wholeheartedly

i have no issue with not being able to buy

even the mugs though manage to oush prices up for us hence this post

I'm confused. First you tell us that people who buy property here (where we want to live) are mugs. Then you complain about how those of us who buy property are pushing the price up for you.

Which is it?

It seems like you WANT to buy, but have been priced out of the market.

It's usually the case. The disenfranchised bitter ones pouring scorn on those who can afford to enjoy their lives.

Thanks for your advice on how others should spend their money. I'm sure we'll take it on board and completely ignore you.

I have to admit that I did make a serious mistake involving Thailand condos. I had a chance to buy another condo for what I considered a good price. The problem was that my money in the US stock market was doing well so I decided to pass on the second condo. Now that stock investment has lost over 50 percent of the its value. Had I followed my instincs and NOT paid any attention to experts like Yabs, I would have another condo that would have appreciated at the same rate as the one I have.

I have to admit that I did make a serious mistake involving Thailand condos. I had a chance to buy another condo for what I considered a good price. The problem was that my money in the US stock market was doing well so I decided to pass on the second condo. Now that stock investment has lost over 50 percent of the its value. Had I followed my instincts and NOT paid any attention to experts like Yabs, I would have another condo that would have appreciated at the same rate as the one I have.