Suv For Recommedation In Chiangmai

hendy7508

thinking of getting a suv,any recommedation and price list for my knowledgde.

The Suzuki Caribbean is a bitchin' SUV.

Or if you want to be a little more comfy check the Toyota Fortuna, the Chevy Captiva, Honda CRV, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Isuzu MU7. Check out at various dealers to test drive and get prices. Do some legwork, it is your bloodie car.

The Suzuki Caribbean is a bitchin' SUV.

If 'bitchin'" means has half the power it needs to be remotely safe and usable - I 100% agree.

Why is this topic in the Chiang Mai sub-forum when it has been done to death more times than anyone can remember over in the Motoring sub-forum?

Edit: As you were - turns out that the OP posted a near-identical question in the Motoring sub-forum........... :o

Edited by Steve2UK

People who respect their fellowmen and their environment don't even think about buying a suv (dirtier air, increased fuel consumption, more danger on the streets). Buy a "clean" midsize sedan. This is my recommendation.

What do you mean by "more danger on the streets" :D

Quite the opposite if talking about safety for the driver and passenger in for example a Toyota Fortuner..............imho :o

This is an inappropriate if not useless post on this forum. And just look at the responses so far by posters who should be ignoring the OP!

People who respect their fellowmen and their environment don't even think about buying a suv (dirtier air, increased fuel consumption, more danger on the streets). Buy a "clean" midsize sedan. This is my recommendation.

Quite the opposite if talking about safety for the driver and passenger in for example a Toyota Fortuner..............imho :o

Yes it is rocket science to figure out that the idiots driving SUV tanks pose more danger to the rest of the road users than they would if they were driving reasonable sized vehicles. Guess it is just too much to expect that one might think of the others. It is clearly time to get out of here.

If it's okay with everyone then I'd like to just respond to the question? :o

There are two types of vehicle that are commonly referred to as SUV's in Thailand but they're very different. Your first choice will be to choose between these types:

1. Vehicles based on / derived from pick-up trucks. These include the Toyota Fortuner, Isuzu Mu7 and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (not to be confused with all other Pajero's before it, which weren't directly based on pick-up trucks)

2. Vehicles based on/ derived from passenger sedans like the Honda CRV and Chevrolet Captiva.

The former (1) will usually have turbo diesel engines and are built on a ladder frame. They tend to be bigger, heavier vehicles. (2) will drive more or less like a passenger car, be less tough, smaller but more refined to drive. Also in footprint (be it physical or carbon based) there's little difference with regular passenger cars. Pick-up based vehicles share a similar footprint with pick-up trucks.

(1) tend to be fractionally cheaper, mostly due to tax reasons. This makes them a very good deal price-wise as you get a lot of car for your baht. But they're not for everyone, you may not actually want a tough diesel 4x4.

Into which of your two types do you fit vehicles such as the Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Landcruser and Landrover? Or do you not consider them to be SUVs?

Well, first and foremost I don't consider them to be vehicles that are currently widely on sale and competitive in Thailand. I did think to include a 'dedicated 4WD' type category, in which would also fit the 'actual' Mitsubishi Pajero (not the 'Sport') and some of Suzuki's 4x4 vehicles. But none of those are assembled in Thailand and come with huge price tags, if you can find them at all.

But secondly, to answer your question: No, those I don't consider SUV's. :o SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle, a type of raised estate made to look like a rugged outdoorsy kind of rig but actually aimed squarely at soccer mums. No, I would not put a Land Cruiser, Classic Pajero or Land Rover in that category, though the Freelander came #$*(* close. :D

Chances are if you go to a Jeep or Land Rover enthusiast's gathering and refer to people's rigs as SUV's they'd smack you. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Into which of your two types do you fit vehicles such as the Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Landcruser and Landrover? Or do you not consider them to be SUVs?

Well, first and foremost I don't consider them to be vehicles that are currently widely on sale and competitive in Thailand. I did think to include a 'dedicated 4WD' type category, in which would also fit the 'actual' Mitsubishi Pajero (not the 'Sport') and some of Suzuki's 4x4 vehicles. But none of those are assembled in Thailand and come with huge price tags, if you can find them at all.

But secondly, to answer your question: No, those I don't consider SUV's. :o SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle, a type of raised estate made to look like a rugged outdoorsy kind of rig but actually aimed squarely at soccer mums. No, I would not put a Land Cruiser, Classic Pajero or Land Rover in that category, though the Freelander came #$*(* close. :D

Chances are if you go to a Jeep or Land Rover enthusiast's gathering and refer to people's rigs as SUV's they'd smack you. :D

All 3 are SUV's - Wikipedia says that in it's opening description of them so it must be true ! :D lets face it - it's a stupid question! A Porsche Cayenne or Range Rover for circa 10mill or a second hand jeep for 200k - How long is a piece of string godammit! ( and yes, I know it's the distance between the two cut ends... )

I'd like a boat can you recommend one for me :D

Valid threads with relevance to Chiang Mai have been closed before now - why is this one still open here? I'd suggest moving it to the Motoring sub-forum - but, as I already pointed out numerous irrelevant posts ago, the OP already asked the near-identical question there............. I thought double-posting was discouraged if not prohibited?

NB - I for one am not looking for any sheriff's badge. :o

[and apologies if I'm straying close to/across the line of commenting on Mods' decisions - but there seems to be a rash of non-CM topics appearing here lately]

People who respect their fellowmen and their environment don't even think about buying a suv (dirtier air, increased fuel consumption, more danger on the streets).
:D

What about the hundreds of RED songthaews (most of them very old, thus polluting), 80% of them always empty, who are cruising all over the city, stopping whenever and wherever they want, ignoring the basic traffic rules ??? THIS is what a call dirty and dangerous...

So, before jumping on the poor guy 'cause he wants to buy a SUV (remind you that new SUVs' engines pollute and consume even less than 90 % of the average piece of *&*%^% we see in this city...), please just look around you in CM, and give the guy a break :o .

People who respect their fellowmen and their environment don't even think about buying a suv (dirtier air, increased fuel consumption, more danger on the streets).

What about the hundreds of RED songthaews (most of them very old, thus polluting), 80% of them always empty, who are cruising all over the city, stopping whenever and wherever they want, ignoring the basic traffic rules ??? THIS is what a call dirty and dangerous...

So, before jumping on the poor guy 'cause he wants to buy a SUV (remind you that new SUVs' engines pollute and consume even less than 90 % of the average piece of *&*%^% we see in this city...), please just look around you in CM, and give the guy a break :o .

Strange philosophy.

Akin to say that if your neighbour throws a ton of garbage in the nature, you are allowed to throw a hundred kilos.

Yes it is rocket science

I don't recommend to buy a rocket (Space Utility Vehicle?) either.