Extension Of O- Retirement Visa

I have been trying all week to get all my documents in order for the renewal of my Retirement Extension. Its a combination of pension & cash in my bank but every time I think i have enough the pound crashes. Today I got my letter from the bank all ready to go to immigration on Monday then I checked the pound again when I got home it has crashed again I am now 30k short. I just don't have any more money to put in to my bank account, so my question is will the Immigration at Pattaya pass my renewal with 30k short? or do I have to hope the pound goes back up. Now my other question is if I don't get my Renewal I will have to change my visa to Marriage as I have enough pension per month but do I need my pension letter Stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok? The last time I used this type of visa extension at the Pattaya immigration they told me I had to have this stamp. Well I am sure there must be a lot people from the uk in the same position as me.

Regards

Scotsman

The only option the way I see it is hope the the pound goes up or change to the marriage extension.

You need to get a new letter from embassy every year for either type of extension.

I have never heard of a requirement for it to be stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Unless they were wanting that for a translated copy which also is not required.

I didn't need one for mine back in August.

Edited by ubonjoe

I have never heard of a requirement for it to be stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Unless they were wanting that for a translated copy which also is not required.

This was something that was supposed to have happened a couple of year ago. It never came about since Immigration flat out told the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that THEY made the rules and not the MFA.

Thank you for your reply's I know about the pension letter and I have got that sorted out, All my paper work is in order. But I am hoping the man in pattaya immigration will feel sorry for me as I have been chasing my tail all week trying to get enough funds into my bank to qualify, Just to see the goal post going away again. Today at the time I got my bank letter I had enough funds to qualify but 4 hours later I need another 30k that I just don't have, then 2 hours later the pound recovers a little now I am short of 24k so I just have to wait and see what its going to be on Monday. So its up to the man in Pattaya immigration on Monday if he gives me my extension based on retirement or will it be marriage. I am happy to hear that this stamp from Bangkok is not needed now. So I should have no problems getting one of the extension visa's on Monday.

Thanks again.

Regards

Scotsman

Maybe a trip to Immigration with the wife and ask about what they are doing with the exchange rate due to the constantly fluctuating rate? I would think a politely worded question and statement with them will help you get a handle on what they will do.

They must use something relatively standard at least daily.

As for the officer being sympathetic? That's asking a lot as then he would have to bend the rules for everyone that has an issue.

One other thought! If you have a mate that trusts you and has extra cash. Borrow some cash for a few days and top up your account.

"Borrow some cash for a few days and top up your account."

Isn't that the normally accepted reason they started wanting the money in the account for 3 months?

When I recently did my renewal, not in Pattaya, the officer asked me what the current dollar rate was.

"Borrow some cash for a few days and top up your account."

Isn't that the normally accepted reason they started wanting the money in the account for 3 months?

When I recently did my renewal, not in Pattaya, the officer asked me what the current dollar rate was.

I too was asked what the exchange rate was by the lower ranking officer that first looked at my paperwork.

In the case of my comment he has had more than one renewal and now he is using the letter/money combo method so the 3 month rule does not apply I think. He just must show the total of 800k on the day of renewal via the letter and a bank book

…he is using the letter/money combo method so the 3 month rule does not apply I think. He just must show the total of 800k on the day of renewal via the letter and a bank book

That’s correct. With the combination of income and money in the bank it is sufficient if the combined total of 800k is proven to exist on the date of application.

--

Maestro

What can you do if you go into the immigration office one day with all your paperwork in order with your letter from your bank & pension letter that adds up to 800,000 the day you got the bank letter but 1 hour later the exchange rate falls again while you are on your way to the immigration office? Now you are 10k or 20 k short The immigration man tells you to go and put more funds into your bank but by the time you get back again with a new bank letter again the exchange rate has gone down and the cycle starts again. The problem is that I have run out of any means of getting more cash my credit card is maxed out as you can only borrow 50% of your limit on my credit card and they will not put up my limit due to the credit crunch. I will just have to wait and see what happens on Monday what visa extension they give me.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards

Scotsman

Well today it went like clockwork in & out in 30 min with my retirement extension they did not check it very well or they just did not care it was short of the 800k mark so I am happy again.

Thank you all for your replies & help.

Regards

Scotsman

I am a Brit aged 61. Now I am beginning to worry a little bit about the time when my retirement (OA) visa comes up for extension. What letters do I need? Should I be getting letters from my Thai bank as well as the British Embassy? What should each one state? I am currently getting my UK pension paid monthly into my Thai bank account and should pass the finance test but I am not sure how to prove it.

I am a Brit aged 61. Now I am beginning to worry a little bit about the time when my retirement (OA) visa comes up for extension. What letters do I need? Should I be getting letters from my Thai bank as well as the British Embassy? What should each one state? I am currently getting my UK pension paid monthly into my Thai bank account and should pass the finance test but I am not sure how to prove it.

You need to get a letter from the UK Embassy verifying your income.

Immigration maybe will want to look at your bank book as well.

Ian,

You will need 2 letters.

1. From your Thai bank - confiming your balance and last 2 or 3 foreign transfers. You will need a copy of your book with name page and last 3 months transactions. Dont worry the bank will be used to, and aware of what you want. It is in Thai with a nice stamp.

2, Letter of pension verification fron UK embassy. You dont say where you live in Thailand but for instance in Pattaya and Chiang Mai there is a Consul who can do it for you ( todays price Baht 2020) to avoid a trip to Bangkok. There maybe someone in Phuket who can issue it but I cant remember.

To extend is not complicated but do use the forum to ask questions from the experts (I am not one) to avoid wasted journeys to immigration.

If your pension is enough to get the extension the letter from the embassy is enough. But take your bank book with you in case they want to see it (no letter needed).

If your pension comes up short you can show a bank balance thats enough to make up the difference. In this case you would need a letter form the bank also. IE: Pension equal to 55,000 baht and bank balance of 120,000 baht.

Thanks a lot everybody. Now I know why I need two letters - my pension income is just short of the required amount.

In that case you will need a bank letter as well. Make sure the bank book is updated on the same day as the letter and the balances are the same.

If using only the pension letter you do not need a bank letter. Although as said Pattaya seems to have it's own rules.

I receive a military pension from the Australian government....(T.P.I)....the exchange rate has dropped, my pension is just under 65000 a month.I have 140000 baht in my Thai bank account.What are my chances of renewal of my retirement visa.

I have spoken to immigration in Bangkok this morning.I explained the situation to them.They gave me a fair hearing and said they would look into this problem and call me back.I am aware that there would be a number of us with the same problem. Might i also suggest that a phone call to immigration stating your situation,might persuade them to relax the rules until the Aussie dollar rises against the baht.

Any advice from the forum would be appreciated.

. Might i also suggest that a phone call to immigration stating your situation,might persuade them to relax the rules until the Aussie dollar rises against the baht.

Dream on :o

If the total of your annual pension plus your bank deposit works out at 800,000 plus you will be ok.

It is not only the Aussie Dollar down the pan.

Edited by Lite Beer

I receive a military pension from the Australian government....(T.P.I)....the exchange rate has dropped, my pension is just under 65000 a month.I have 140000 baht in my Thai bank account.What are my chances of renewal of my retirement visa.

I have spoken to immigration in Bangkok this morning.I explained the situation to them.They gave me a fair hearing and said they would look into this problem and call me back.I am aware that there would be a number of us with the same problem. Might i also suggest that a phone call to immigration stating your situation,might persuade them to relax the rules until the Aussie dollar rises against the baht.

Any advice from the forum would be appreciated.

Like Lite beer sais, dream on. But there is of course the possibility of a combination of monthly incoem and an ammount in a Thai bank account, like 32,500 a month and 400,000 in the bank. if your pensioen dropped just below 65,000 a month you should be OK.

(1) Foreigner shall obtains VISA for

temporary stay and,

(2) Shall not be younger than 50

years old and,

(3) Having evidence showing the

monthly income not less than

65,000 Baht or,

(4) Having the records of saving

money in the latest 3 months of

account book of any Bank in

Thailand not less than 800,000

Baht or,