Buying Motorcycle On A Tourist Visa

I am a 47 year old, US citizen staying in The Kingdom on three, 60-day Tourist Visas. I want to purchase a new motorcycle from a dealer here in Pattaya. What papers do I need to make this happen?

My undertanding is that the vehicle registration cannot be done on a tourist visa. One person suggested I get a "Letter of Residence" from my embassy and this would suffice. This is the first AND only time I have heard this. Can abyone confirm or deny?

In an attempt to buy the motorcycle this week, I went to a visa service here to try to "upgrade" my visa to a non immigrant type "O." I was told by the visa service that I could not obtain a non immigrant visa without either being, A) at least 50 years old, or B) having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

I have a "Proof of Income" letter from my embassy stating I have income well in excess of the minimum requirements. This fact seems not to have any value to Thai immigration laws.

What are my options?

Far as i am aware you can now own a motor bike in your name on any type of visa......tourist included......you/ll need a letter from immigration confirming you address here in the Kingdom (i.e you/ll need to register your address with them). Regards the 800k in the bank that is one of the requirements for long stay in the Kingdom (i.e 1 year extensions) but is only available for those who have reached the age of 50. As you state your proof of income letter holds no water here until you are 50 .

Having thought about it, you may have to get a letter from your embassy confirming your address here in Thailand as i/m not sure if you can register your address at local immigration when holding a tourist visa.........i.e you need a Non Imm visa. Anybody else clarify this?

Why don't you go and talk to the dealers,they will put you straight.I went to the Honda place on third road,M people or something,and they did everything for me,registration, tax,theft insurance.All very reasonable,and on a tourist visa at that time.

Piece of cake

Only thing you can,t do is get a Thai driving license on a T/V

I believe you may be recommending the SAME Honda dealer I am currently working with Bartender. But for whatever reason, I am not getting the same response from them that you encountered. Full moon? Day of week? Different sales person? I have no idea. When, may I ask, did you make your purchase there?

I think you can buy anything on any visa in Thailand,including home and land provided you have money :D But the problem is that you can't transfer or register it in your own name.So if you really care about transferring it to your own name,then don't buy it.If you don't care about it being transferred or registered in your name,then just keep the transfer or registration papers with yourself and use the thing without any fear. :o

For the answer of your question.I think you can't transfer/register your motorbike on your name until you are having a thai work permit.

Rice_King

I think its the last one before xcite disco,going north,It was about a year ago,and there was a very good English speaking girl,maybe she has gone.

The theft insurance was optional,B1200 a year,replace 80% of the value,this was from Honda themselfs,thats why I took it

The only problem will be the timing.

The Land Transport Dept takes ages to process new registrations so your visa may be out of date by the time they get to your paperwork.

Best to do the purchase just after your arrival, or a visa trip to activate

the second entry of a visa.

Strange anomoly here.

You can own a vehicle on a tourist visa, but not get a drving licence.