Import Tax For Golf Club Set

billionareHuman

Hello,we have imported quite a lot from overseas,.it will actually depend on the declared value, if a friend is sending for you they could put "golf bag " with a $50 value and you would probably be ok, also we were told that Australia and Thailand have some sort of free trade agreement, im sure one of our more knowledgable members could comment on that ?,. regards, Gordon,.

thanks GayGordon won't they notice that the box is a little heavier than just a 'golf bag' ?

I assume you are importing the clubs for business purposes which would justify some sort of imort tax but if I'm just buying it for myself and it's the only thing I've ever imported will this be subject to a tax too? I know that in Australia there is no tax until they start noticing that you are importing quite frequently and to the same address but for the first few imports it's fine.

AFAIK, generally anything with a declared/apparent value of over Bt20,000 will attract 10% import duty + 7% VAT x the total value of the shipment (including the shipping cost). I have no idea if golf clubs fall into some luxury category that might be higher.

In any case, those are the official figures. The odds are that Thai customs will attempt to screw more out of you - whatever they think they can get away with........... TIT. One number they pulled with me was to say that the paperwork (for some clothes that were sent to me) wasn't correct and I would now need a shipping agent to transact the import; of course, they just happened to know someone who could oblige........ Bt2,500 - that'll do nicely. :o

Thanks Steve

What is VAT can I claim that back somewhere?

VAT = Value Added Tax. If Thai VAT is operated the same way as in the EU, you would normally be able to reclaim the VAT if you are a] registered for VAT and b] it was levied on an allowable business expense. To be blunt, if you're asking that question, I suspect neither applies in your case?

AFAIK, generally anything with a declared/apparent value of over Bt20,000 will attract 10% import duty + 7% VAT x the total value of the shipment (including the shipping cost). I have no idea if golf clubs fall into some luxury category that might be higher.

In any case, those are the official figures. The odds are that Thai customs will attempt to screw more out of you - whatever they think they can get away with........... TIT. One number they pulled with me was to say that the paperwork (for some clothes that were sent to me) wasn't correct and I would now need a shipping agent to transact the import; of course, they just happened to know someone who could oblige........ Bt2,500 - that'll do nicely. :o

not true Im afraid>the 10 %plus 7% applies over a small notional value and the 10 %only applies if the paperwork is correct so they can designated it golf equipment.I had a small delivery from the Us taxed at 50% .all being well you will get a paper advising of the duty and you will need to pick it up in naklua post office.

Anything over 20,000 needs additional paperwork and maybe an import agent.

You can under declare but the customs can also assess any value they see fit.

If you query the value it can mean a visit to Laem chabang customs house and an explanation of why you need to import it. any sign of trade /business can land you in hot water if your on a toursit visa.

• 2 weeks later...