Dark Skinned Expats

AD1985

I've seen on more than one occasion a woman with my skin tone say, "We same same" but the SAME EXACT lady go to a white man and say, "I like your skin, I don't like mine." It's all a game. And there was this Italian teacher that would hang with me and he was pretty shabby while all the girls were clinging to me. Why? Because I used cologne and looked like I had money.

MONEY NUMBA 1!!!

You sound truly like an enlightened individual and I applaud you for tricking those bar girls into thinking you had money. That fat english teacher was a loser and you showed up him and his white skin! Well done!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Is Thailand a fairly open minded country when it comes to race? I am a dark skinned Indian and obviously don't want to be treated any differently than lighter skinned farangs.

Thanks

I dont know how thais view Indians but I am bi racial, african american and white. I have skin tone similar to indian and I had no problems. No one said anything to my face. I had no problem making friends and no problem with ladies talking to me. I have had thais spark up a conversation with me everywhere from temples to reataurant bathrooms lol. The latter got me in trouble with my then girlfriend because the person was a very attractive light skinned girl that continued to follow me from the restroom to the table where my girlfriend was waiting. I only mention that she was light skinned because many say they dont talk to darker skinned farang. I think if you present yourself in a positive way and dont think of yourself as below them. They wont treat you like you are. :o

Playa!

Not everyone you meet here will be an Issan taxi driver, not everyone will be prejudiced

And what is wrong with these inividuals exactly?

They are not the prejudiced ones here.

Try talking to them, and you'll find that they are some of the nicest, hardest-working people on earth. Oh, let me guess, they're not educated and are too lazy to speak your language :o

Edited by Neeranam

I've seen on more than one occasion a woman with my skin tone say, "We same same" but the SAME EXACT lady go to a white man and say, "I like your skin, I don't like mine." It's all a game. And there was this Italian teacher that would hang with me and he was pretty shabby while all the girls were clinging to me. Why? Because I used cologne and looked like I had money.

MONEY NUMBA 1!!!

You sound truly like an enlightened individual and I applaud you for tricking those bar girls into thinking you had money. That fat english teacher was a loser and you showed up him and his white skin! Well done!

corrections... The guy was less than a year older and had the assumption that he could let his guard down and image was nothing (what I too assumed in the beginning).

About two days later both of us went into a restaurant with shorts and sandals and I said, "The girls that work here are hookers." He replied, "Bullocks, then why aren't they all over us?" Then I replied, "Because they don't want us!" I didn't care but he frowned, probably thinking about the previous night when I got all the attention.

Image is everything in Thailand. Seeing I'm from L.A. it wasn't a huge change and I could adapt easily.

Not everyone you meet here will be an Issan taxi driver, not everyone will be prejudiced

And what is wrong with these inividuals exactly?

They are not the prejudiced ones here.

Try talking to them, and you'll find that they are some of the nicest, hardest-working people on earth. Oh, let me guess, they're not educated and are too lazy to speak your language :o Seconded, the taxi guys from Isaan are probably the most honest and hardworking poor buggers in Thailand!

If Thais are so full of prejudice and hate why are people on the forum who are from every corner of the planet so desperate to return to live or for a holiday.

Here is to hoping that people raised in the west that have a "victim status" mentality due to the colour of their skin, religion, sexual preference, class status dont poison the Thailand with our vile political correctness way of thinking.

Thais maybe nationalist which IMO is a good thing but on the whole there isnt mindless hate towards us.

If Thais are so full of prejudice and hate why are people on the forum who are from every corner of the planet so desperate to return to live or for a holiday.

Here is to hoping that people raised in the west that have a "victim status" mentality due to the colour of their skin, religion, sexual preference, class status dont poison the Thailand with our vile political correctness way of thinking.

Thais maybe nationalist which IMO is a good thing but on the whole there isnt mindless hate towards us.

Which 'us' would that be? White westerners from a european heritage?

This is 100% correct. Thai Chinese girls, sexually, are most attracted to Indian and African men. These guys are not too plentiful and I think that is what creates the huge demand. If you are a black male, you can more or less expect to come to Bangkok and be in a relationship with a beautiful medical Thai Chinese student in a few days or less.
For the female Thai Chinese students, this is a simple a self control precautionary. They do not want to study in a school with many Indian or black males because they know that they will likely end up pregnant and will be unable to physically function in a classroom. As you know, Thai Chinese are very serious about their education and I really applaud them for not taking the American "spring break anything goes let me get rammed by three guys at once" college approach. No, they will get their education and then find a dark male to mate with later on.

<deleted> :o

I suspect that not only "life is random", but also particular responses to this thread are equally random - and nonsensical!

I have been coming to LOS for a few years now and here are a few thinks that never happened to me but have in the US:

an old lady show me her box cutter as we cross path, I laughed what else can you do

crossing the street as they see me

hold to they purse closer to their bodies or change it side as sit close to them

the store was closing as I am about to get in or followed by someone while shopping

Thought I never stay here for more than a month at a time, I have never experience anything I would consider racist. I always get descent service I love winning them over with limited Thai, that always bring a smile. I have been to Chainat with a friend and loved it, people came all over to see me and chat, I hate at so many houses.

So what if someone think I am poor, I am not rich. I love the fact some think I am poor you don't get hassle as much and if I want to have a quite beer at a bar I can.

My liberal school teacher taught me that there were Africans, Indians and Arabs in Europe throughout time, who have helped develop European history, architecture, culture and ways of thinking aswell as mixing in the gene pool so we are all one "US" non Thais.

I hope i havent got a liberal arguing that non whites didnt play a part in the development of European heritage.

My liberal school teacher taught me that there were Africans, Indians and Arabs in Europe throughout time, who have helped develop European history, architecture, culture and ways of thinking aswell as mixing in the gene pool so we are all one "US" non Thais.

I hope i havent got a liberal arguing that non whites didnt play a part in the development of European heritage.

No you have someone asking a question .... and if you think all non-Thais are 'us' then that's the answer. Since the word farang (notably not mentioned here) refers only to white westerners from a european heritage (not from Europe) and my experiences in Thailand indicate that Thai people on average will not lump people of different ethnicities together in their thinking, well ..... you can work the rest out.

This isn't Europe and even good ole blighty has its issues with color and perceived ethnic/national heritage .... :o

The fact that the Chinese have been able to pass themselves off as Thai (even whilst manipulating the economic system to the detriment of ethnic Thais) whilst Indians who've been here just as long are still classed as khaek says quite a lot about Thai attitudes. One example of prejudice: when in the past I've been giving advice to my students on where to study in England (and this is all post-grad students), the fact that a town has a significant Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi population has been enough to rule out the university, however good it might have been. That being said, I certainly wouldn't expect open hostility but I think that it's unrealistic to anticipate that all Thais are going to treat you as they treat whites.

For the female Thai Chinese students, this is a simple a self control precautionary. They do not want to study in a school with many Indian or black males because they know that they will likely end up pregnant and will be unable to physically function in a classroom.

Ok, enough drinking for tonight lifeisrandom...Go to sleep dude, you must be really tired...

MONEY NUMBA 1!!!

You to lifeisrandom, you look like a "truly enlightened individual", a subtle and perceptive analyst. Thanks for sharing your priceless knowledge with us.

I think Lifeisrandom is either on trips or trying to be funny. Neither of them are working.

If Thai's did their research and read the right history books they'd see how much they are influenced by Indian culture 'back in the day.' Just look at the traditional Thai dancing compared to Indian, very similar etc etc.

Afterall India is (arguably) one of the most senior civilisations according to some sources.

Hi,

Is Thailand a fairly open minded country when it comes to race? I am a dark skinned Indian and obviously don't want to be treated any differently than lighter skinned farangs.

Thanks

Dark is seen as ugly. Therefore all the girls put whitening creams on their skin till they get some major problems, even cancer.

No equal treatment, neither in Thailand, not in India, nor somewhere else.

But that does not mean a bad racism, you are just not as handsome as someone else. Best is to be as white as a sheet of paper.

I have a friend, who is fat, red hair and white redish face, looking like a pig. He is seen much more handsome than any normal looking farang here.

This isn't Europe and even good ole blighty has its issues with color and perceived ethnic/national heritage .... :o

My turn to twist your words.

I know there are problems in England as a white male i cant go to many areas of the country inc Bradford, Leicester, London, Birmingham etc.... that are predominantly lived in by people of African, Carribean, Pakistan/Bangladesh, Somalian ancestry without a serious risk of violence. Whereas i can go to areas that are predominantly Jewish, Polish/E European, Indian, and they all are much safer in "White" areas of England.

Does this highlight who are really the racists?

I apologise for using the word "US" instead of Non Thais from the varied nations/ cultures/ religions and colours, but im sure this Indian will be tickityboo in LOS.

I gotta call BS on that one. 8 years comeing back and forth and I was never even stoped to have my bag checked at customs. None of my family or fellow Black friends where ever harrassed in any way. hel_l not even my Iraqi friends where ever harrassed. In fact the only time I ever saw any discrimination against me because of the color of my skin here was from WHITE people not Thais. And even then it was only twice I can remember.

And thats it folks, 8 years of doing everything, going everywhere, being single, getting married, all that..Thats it for discrimination.

Yes The advertising is out there, but unlike America, where whites still drag Black people from the backs of trucks untill they are dismembered (Google Brandon McClelland, just killed this moth 10 years since the last lynching there in Texas just a couple hundred miles away) in Thailand the color issue is more of a profitible self hate. Yes profitable because it allows a handfull of people to control what is considered beautiful and its a immage that 90% of Thais need to invest serious money to attain, and most never will. So they devalue their sence of self worth the darker their skin gets. The key word being THEIR, I have never seen them put that devaluation on me or any Blacks I know.

I gotta disagree with you on this one.. I've worked in both the US and Thailand for many years and from my experience there is a LOT more prejudism against dark-skinned people here than the US. In the US, the subject is very taboo and you won't often hear white people making racist comments. However, here in Thailand you will quite often hear comments about Indians or Black people. The difference is that in the US it is a small minority that is very racist. Here in Thailand, it's not so much racism, but prejudism and fear of the unknown, however it is the majority of the people who feel this way.

Are you Black American? If not you really can't accuratly gauge the amount of racisim against us in the US. I am, and I have traveled a good bit through Europe, Middle East, and SE Asia. And no where I have seen comes close to the type of racisim and bigotry against us than back in the US... Thailand is great,(Middle East is awsome, my best friend is Iraqi) yeah there is subdtle stuff you see like the "Black Man" Mops company throw back. But direct noticiable hostility and discrimination. No, and in fact I think I have it socialy better than a white man here because I don't get as much of the scam harrassment, and there's a certain "coolness" factor we get with the younger generation. Also that Sino-Thai attraction thing that a previos poster was talking about may actually hold some truth. My wife is Sino Thai and when I hooked up her Sino Thai friend with my Black American friend I she never stoped thanking me.

All in all, no complaints, I'm not a big card puller to begin with, I hate to pull it unless I REALLY have too, but I can't think of one time I had to pull it against a Thai in Thailand, ever. They seem to be more concerned with the color of my passport than anything else.

I gotta call BS on that one. 8 years comeing back and forth and I was never even stoped to have my bag checked at customs. None of my family or fellow Black friends where ever harrassed in any way. hel_l not even my Iraqi friends where ever harrassed. In fact the only time I ever saw any discrimination against me because of the color of my skin here was from WHITE people not Thais. And even then it was only twice I can remember.

And thats it folks, 8 years of doing everything, going everywhere, being single, getting married, all that..Thats it for discrimination.

Yes The advertising is out there, but unlike America, where whites still drag Black people from the backs of trucks untill they are dismembered (Google Brandon McClelland, just killed this moth 10 years since the last lynching there in Texas just a couple hundred miles away) in Thailand the color issue is more of a profitible self hate. Yes profitable because it allows a handfull of people to control what is considered beautiful and its a immage that 90% of Thais need to invest serious money to attain, and most never will. So they devalue their sence of self worth the darker their skin gets. The key word being THEIR, I have never seen them put that devaluation on me or any Blacks I know.

I gotta disagree with you on this one.. I've worked in both the US and Thailand for many years and from my experience there is a LOT more prejudism against dark-skinned people here than the US. In the US, the subject is very taboo and you won't often hear white people making racist comments. However, here in Thailand you will quite often hear comments about Indians or Black people. The difference is that in the US it is a small minority that is very racist. Here in Thailand, it's not so much racism, but prejudism and fear of the unknown, however it is the majority of the people who feel this way.

Are you Black American? If not you really can't accuratly gauge the amount of racisim against us in the US. I am, and I have traveled a good bit through Europe, Middle East, and SE Asia. And no where I have seen comes close to the type of racisim and bigotry against us than back in the US... Thailand is great,(Middle East is awsome, my best friend is Iraqi) yeah there is subdtle stuff you see like the "Black Man" Mops company throw back. But direct noticiable hostility and discrimination. No, and in fact I think I have it socialy better than a white man here because I don't get as much of the scam harrassment, and there's a certain "coolness" factor we get with the younger generation. Also that Sino-Thai attraction thing that a previos poster was talking about may actually hold some truth. My wife is Sino Thai and when I hooked up her Sino Thai friend with my Black American friend I she never stoped thanking me.

All in all, no complaints, I'm not a big card puller to begin with, I hate to pull it unless I REALLY have too, but I can't think of one time I had to pull it against a Thai in Thailand, ever. They seem to be more concerned with the color of my passport than anything else.

This is also pretty consistent with African-American friend's experiences. Like I said some people exaggerate this stuff as much as they can and the people doing it ain't Thai but farang from places like the U.S. and U.K. etc... I think most younger Thais are curious..maybe they have preconceptions but none of that is direct hostility. The older gen. may think you're strange but once again that's not hostility. Even if you're from Laos or some country they regularly make fun of they'll still be your friend. I've seen some Laotian-Americans get all sorts of odd reactions but Thais in general are cool with it. Actually, they are fascinated by the western SE Asian returnees the most.

Yes, Thai's do look down at darker skinned expats, whether moneyed or not, and it invariably won't be made obvious. Shit happens, that's just the way it's been drummed into them and the way it is here but I wouldn't not visit if I were you, op :D

A lot of paranoia and/or denial going on here and racism on both sides. Can't we just all be friends :o

Hi,

Thanks

:D Oh dear....I don't exactly know how to put this.

Yes many Thais will show their dislike of "dark skinned foriegners"

The foriegner can't do anything about that, but his/her behaviour will make a big difference in the response.

It isn't racisim as much as it is that many Thai women find heavy or musty body odor a real turn off.

Therefore, for your friend, I reccomend that he is very careful about attention to body odor,

and definately use deoderent and such to cover up any body odor.

Thai's often have an opinion that anyone hairy is "crude", and heavy sweatting is frowned upon.

Yes, it's hot and humid, and you can't do anything about that, but if he is going out for a night of goodtimes with the Thai ladies, you will do a lot better if his body odor can't be detected and he is wearing cologne.

If he sweats heavily, have him buy those scented packets of moistend towelettes.

When going into an air-conditioned bar, on arrival break have him open one packet of towelettes and wipe down his arms and face.

It will make the bargirls think a lot higher of him.

I know this for a fact. I'm a large and hairy Farang who tends to sweat a lot. I know whereof I speak, on this subject.

:o

Don't worry as there are many skin whitener cremes available in the markets in Thailand. :(

:D:o:D:D:D

My gf has recently purchased some Japanese vitamins that are suppost to make her whiter............. lol........... anyway, I can only see her at night now, she has disappeared from visible daily light, but at about 7pm she starts glowing against the nightime backdrop 555555555555

Edited by jayjayjayjay

There was an item on BBCWorld News this morning about the very large Asian community in, I think it was Las Vegas, and their ability to swing the vote to allow either the Democrats or Republicans take the state.

A reporter was sent out to interview some Asians in a local market as to which way they would be voting.

All of them said they would be voting for McCain. One woman said she was concerned about the economy, and thought it would be better managed under the Republicans. Helloooo? And then there were the 'undecideds'. But you could see to a man, or woman, no way were they going to vote for the man with the dark skin.

I return to Bangkok with a black friend of mine next month who always has a great time there. Having said that, there are people here who have a problem with Indians here and its not actually colour prejudice. If my wife and I go for a meal in the Indian district at night and she trys to hail a taxi they will invariably buzz past her, they don't do it anywhere else in Bangkok, if I hail a taxi, no problem they stop. The difference is that at night my wife can pass for Indian, I on the other hand am pasty white. As we have had explained to us by the drivers on several ocassions, they can't stand the smell of curry!!! Now thats the truth...many Thai's positively dislike those smells, in fact in one condo where we lived we got our own back on some very inconsiderate neighbours by cooking a Rogan Josh with the door open, they went ballistic, never mind that they stank the place out with their mudfish....that was ok cos that was "Thai" .

Not everyone you meet here will be an Issan taxi driver, not everyone will be prejudiced....or at least no more than they are at home !

where is this indian district you speak of? living in bangkok for a number of years i have never seen it.

also, many indians get on very well here, especially those who have gone to international schools, i know a number of lads who do very well indeed, but they speak the language.

Ever been out to a club and seen who is drinking from the five bottles some sikh guy has slapped down on the table?

Being an indian isn't the issue, presentation is.

A number of off-topic and inflammatory posts have been removed. Any more posts in the same vein will be removed and the posters will receive formal warnings.

One of those was probably mine - so sorry to those who may have been offended.

Surprised white condoms aren't popular- or are they?

horsedoc, that just cracked me up: husband is dark delicious issaan chocolate , when visiting his family in thailand, we ran out of my israeli supply of basic (size small :o) )condoms and the local korat shop only had blue! ? condoms.......... which is what we used ....... trying to imagine him using white....... gotta love it...

bina

israel

Hi,

Thanks

:D Oh dear....I don't exactly know how to put this.

Yes many Thais will show their dislike of "dark skinned foriegners"

The foriegner can't do anything about that, but his/her behaviour will make a big difference in the response.

It isn't racisim as much as it is that many Thai women find heavy or musty body odor a real turn off.

Therefore, for your friend, I reccomend that he is very careful about attention to body odor,

and definately use deoderent and such to cover up any body odor.

Thai's often have an opinion that anyone hairy is "crude", and heavy sweatting is frowned upon.

Yes, it's hot and humid, and you can't do anything about that, but if he is going out for a night of goodtimes with the Thai ladies, you will do a lot better if his body odor can't be detected and he is wearing cologne.

If he sweats heavily, have him buy those scented packets of moistend towelettes.

When going into an air-conditioned bar, on arrival break have him open one packet of towelettes and wipe down his arms and face.

It will make the bargirls think a lot higher of him.

I know this for a fact. I'm a large and hairy Farang who tends to sweat a lot. I know whereof I speak, on this subject.

:o

:D Most Thai's think that ALL farangs stink. My girlfriend is always telling me I smell and I take about 3 showers a day. But if I mention her breath is bad after eating some really nasty fishy stuff, katy bar the door. :D