• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is more from a girl who contacted Asia Tribune:

Date : 2004-05-31

A young Thai Girl search for her roots in Thailand :

Anybody who could provide information may contact -

The photograph of Maria-Elsa: inset - when she was 10 to 12 weeks old.

This is a heart wrenching story of a young Thai girl named - Maria-Elsa, who is at present 27 years old, living in Sweden and she is searching for her roots in Thailand. She was adopted by a Swedish family when she was less than six weeks old and brought to Sweden and now she is grown up and searching for her biological parents in Thailand.

Maria-Elissa wrote to “Asian Tribune” and sought our assistance to locate her biological parents and her roots in Thailand.

“Asian Tribune” undertook to assist her on humanitarian grounds and we appeal to those who might be able to provide some form or … any form of information that might lead to locating Maria-Elissa’s biological parents or members of her family or her biological roots - to contact “Asian Tribune” and leave the information.

After checking the credibility of the information “Asian Tribune” would revert back to contact those provided the information for further developments.

Given below is the first person testimony of Maria-Elissa : My name is Maria-Elissa - I am 27 years old, said to be a Thai, but brought up in Sweden when I was just a baby less than six weeks old, and I am now a Swedish national and live in Sweden.

I was adopted from Thailand in April 1977, during the height of the period when babies were kidnapped by the notorious gang of Pongsawat and Choulay and sold to innocent and unsuspecting Europeans families, especially from Sweden, who visited Thailand with the noble idea of legally adopting Thai babies with the consent of the biological parents and the approval of the Government of Thailand.

I presume that everyone in Thailand must have probably heard of this scam by a few notorious gangs long before.

It is learnt that between 1975 and 1977 nearly 900 Thai children were taken for adoption just alone in Sweden, unfortunately I am not aware of the adoption details of Thai babies in the other European countries for the corresponding period.

Out of the 900 cases of adoption in Sweden from Thailand, just 5 of those adopted children are aware of their real identities and the rest - 895 children are searching for their identities, their biological and genetic roots. Absence of information regarding the biological background of these said 895 children, who were adopted from Thailand points only to one plausible conclusion – probably they were all kidnapped and sold with fabricated identities.

Unfortunately I am one of them and with a made up identity.

In 1977, I now learnt that, many Swedish people, who visited Thailand for child adoption ended up falling into the trap laid by Pongsawat and Chou lay’s organizations and ended up paying huge sum of money for adopting a This baby.

I understand that the scam of selling Thai babies to foreigners was brought to the notice of the Thai Government. Subsequently, in April 1977, according to my information, Government of Thailand deployed their Military Police to Bangkok airport, to arrest those involved in the smuggling arrangements of Thai children and to stem this inhuman practice of stealing and smuggling babies abroad.

Unfortunately, it is said that the Gang got the wind of it and got wiser than the Thai Government and they got hold of those Military police officers to help them with the smuggling of the babies. According to arrangements, smugglers have to hand over the babies to the Military police outside the airport and they will bring them inside the flight and hand them over to the Swedes who have paid money for adoption.

My adopted mother and 3 more ladies from Sweden said to have got their babies delivered inside the plane and that was the last plane that left Bangkok airport with babies in 1977.

It must be clearly stated that none of these ladies had any idea that the babies were stolen from their biological parents. They all were of the impression that since they could leave the airport without any problem and as the adoption papers too were in order, the unsuspecting Swedish families who came to adopt Thai babies unsuspectingly thought that everything was done legally, rightly and correctly.

When I started trying to investigate about my background, I have heard so many different stories as to, - “who I might be? - during these years, and I don't know which one to believe - probably none of them.

I have taken up this matter with the Swedish Government. Though they were aware of the ongoing baby sale scam in Thailand, they did not venture out to stop such practices. Many of the children who were adopted from Thailand are today suffering due to lack of identity crisis to different diseases, such as psychosomatic illness and self-hate, because of the lack knowledge about their true biological background.

There is no way in the world you can just pick a baby from one side of the earth and bring it for adoption and expect the said child to feel "at home" on the other side of earth. It is being today already proved by medical science. There are so many little things that create a person, and when you do not know anything about your background, you become totally rootless, overwhelmed with a feeling of nothingness and you need roots to go on with your life.

Some of these Thai adopted men and women do not live no longer. According to the information I received, a man hung himself up in a tree, because he couldn’t deal with the stress of not knowing who he was. A girl tried to kill herself several times, but couldn’t make it, so she ended up in the mental hospital.

Some of these men and women who are supposed to have a better" life in Sweden, are unable to come to terms with the life over here. They cannot work with piece of mind, they cannot concentrate on their studies, they cannot lead a happy and contended life, because of the questions about their identity keep on looming large in their mind and they have come to saturation point and they are unable to take it any more.

There are a few who managed to overcome the questions of their identity and tread on without any problem seemingly with ease. Well, congratulations to them, but I am not one of them.

The question of identity fully occupies my mind and the mind keep on yearning for a confirmation of my true biological identity.

Many including me are interested in knowing from which part of Thailand we all come from? Whether our biological parents are still alive? Why they chose to give us for adoption? Whether they gave us for adoption with their full consent? Or we were stolen from our biological parents and sold for adoption by the greedy agents?

That is why I am writing this brief resume about me. This is written with the fervent hope that it might lead me to get in touch with my biological parents. I wish to get in touch with my parents in Thailand. I am not leaving any stone unturned in my search for my parents.

My adoption papers were said to be fabricated by one or some unscrupulous agents. The Thai name for me found in the adoption papers too is not genuine, must have been baptized by the spurious agent/s. Also the Thai family name too is made up by some people in Thailand, who must have got paid to sign the papers.

Yet I still l need to know who I am. This is an unending search until my biological parents are located, found and confirmed conclusively.

I am at times worried that maybe my biological parents are thinking about me everyday?

Maybe my mother asks herself everyday what happened to her baby?

Who took her, and why?

Maybe she wonders if I am alive, or maybe she doesn't wonder at all.

Maybe she is dead... I don't know, but sometimes I can feel in my heart that they live - at least my father …..? It's a strange feeling, and I am not quiet efficient to explain it, but sometimes I feel inside me that he is still alive and I do so much want to find him and see him.

Can you help me with that?

I contacted the man who helped my adopted mother in Sweden to adopt me in 1977. He fled the country in 1977, to Sweden on the same aircraft as my mother returned back to Sweden with me – a small bundle with flesh and blood lying in her lap – strangely enough but could get the grasp of those memories as I was too young to understand what was happening around me ---

My mother and the other Swedish ladies were told not to speak to him, look at him or show that they recognize him at all during the flight to Sweden, otherwise he could have been arrested and thrown into a jail for lifetime.

I don't know if he kidnapped me, but the story he told me, while visiting him in Phuket - where he stays nowadays, is the same story he has told my friends who were also adopted from Thailand in 1977. So, he is probably lying, or maybe he just can't remember.

The story he told me goes something like this:

"You were found in Phatalung by a taxi driver. This man - I did try to find him during a few years, but they said he had died - brought you up to Bangkok where he left you in an orphanage, where we took care of you until the day your mother from Sweden came to adopt you."

Isn't it strange that he told the same story to the other Thai adopted men and women?

There was this team from Swedish Television who went to Thailand to make a documentary about the kidnappings of children. They did some research for me and said that this taxi driver probably is the man himself, telling me the story that's why he couldn’t find the taxi driver no more. The team made this 2 hour long documentary that was sent on Swedish Television in 2002 about two friends of mine, Sawitri and Malinee - both were adopted too via Pongsawat and Choulay.

Sawitri and Malinee never found their parents, but they did find out that they had double identities, and that the signatures on the adoption papers where made up, and also that the men and women, who were said to have placed their signatures on the adoption papers, never did this at all. They were completely surprised, and wondered what kind of person who had stolen their identities to sign false documents. So it is such a mess.

Maybe you don't want to help me with this, but I think that maybe that my photograph as a baby published here might try to kindle your memory. Maybe someone, who still recognizes me as a baby, sees the pictures and contacts “Asian Tribune” for further information.

I know this may sound odd, and maybe you just think that I should be grateful, living in Sweden. And yes, I am. But I still can't go on with my life, because my brain is in such a mess with all these thoughts whirling inside my head and I just can't drop it. It is too important to me.

Will you please help me?

Please, keep in touch.

Best Regards,

(sgd.) Maria-Elissa - Sweden.

- Asian Tribune -

Only aware of those used by Immigration/Consulates as they also end with slant/year. Suspect most documents use the same format.

If you are asking about the Thai personal ID numbers believe there were posts recently on the PR pinned item with some information on them and likely can be found with Google.

From WikiPedia:

In Thailand, the Population Identification Code has been issued by the Department of Provincial Administration of the Ministry of Interior since 1976. It consists of a 13-digit string in the format N-NNNN-NNNNN-NN-N, which is assigned at birth or upon receiving citizenship. The first digit signifies type of citizenship, the second to fifth the office where the number was issued, the sixth to twelfth are group and sequence numbers, and the last digit acts as a check digit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Udate on my case.

The Sweden embassy have been in contact with the lady at the district office. They asked her why she didn't accept the documents I have from the Sweden embassy where it is clearly stated that I am the same person as it says on my birth certificate. The district office lady only says that she wants witnesses, personal witnesses, bloodrelatives for guarantee me.

So....

Perhaps I am getting paranoid about this, but I can't help but wonder why this lady is so unwilling to cooperate.

Where do I apply for a Thai ID-card? I hope it is not at the district office. :P

GIJOE:

Do you have your 13 digit thai Id-number?

If not you should go to an Amphur or Tesabaan, and show them your birth certificate. They can look you up, from the number of your birth certificate.

That is how I got my Thai Id-number. I didn't know I had one before I went there.

Does it say in your norwegian passport that you are born in Thailand?

If it does, make sure it is not taken away or changed if you need to renew your passport or something.

Anything and I mean ANYTHING that can link your ID now to your thai ID is very important to hold on to. It is the only link you have and the more you have documented the better.

If you want your thai citizenship back and you can't find any family or relative in Thailand you will need every piece of evidence you can find to prove your thai identity.

I feel stuck at the moment......but I'll think of something....there must be a way....never ever give up.

Can't stop thinking of my real thai mom today on mothers day....if she is alive or not and if she remembers me at all...I wonder if she spent any time with me at all and if she gave me up by her own choice...or if someone kidnapped me...or if she was the one who sold me....... Too many questions.

Take care,

/comehome

As has been suggested you might be better trying another District Office as this official seems to feel she has her finger in the dikes of Holland and if she allows you entry the country will be awash with 'pretenders'. Yes the ID card is also a District Office routine.

Hi guys!

Udate on my case.

The Sweden embassy have been in contact with the lady at the district office. They asked her why she didn't accept the documents I have from the Sweden embassy where it is clearly stated that I am the same person as it says on my birth certificate. The district office lady only says that she wants witnesses, personal witnesses, bloodrelatives for guarantee me.

So....

Perhaps I am getting paranoid about this, but I can't help but wonder why this lady is so unwilling to cooperate.(...)

Take care,

/comehome

I am still appalled that this scam was going on in the seventies. I wouldn't have known about it without your thread, and I am sure many others wouldn't either. I would hope that the Thai government would now help all these victims rather than being uncooperative. It is time ti right the wrong, and give these victims Thai identity. It's the least they can do.

I'm sorry, this doesn't help you. I just needed to vent.

Your problem seems to be with this officer at the district officer. Try using another office, try to find out when this officer has a holiday and pply then again or get an influencial (very well connected) lawyer (which will cost.

Take care yourself.

• 4 months later...

Hello, my name is sasha. i myself was adopted from bangkok thailand from an orphange/childrens home. i was born 12 march 1975 (they reckon) and adopted out of the country 14th july 1975 by my adoptive parents into Denmark. My father being danish and my mother english. the lawyer they used was also Prajak Chouylai. As i understand from my parents, the information that they were given were that i was from the north of thailand and dropped off in bangkok into a childrens home. my parents also said that they paid some woman of the street to sign off the adoption papers. the name on the birth certificate is Mrs Prachuab Sajaphan. my fathers name on the birth certificate is Mr Smarn Wisekarn. My adoptive parents say they came about adopting me through swedish friends of theirs who had recently adopted from thailand and told my parents of the lawyer prajak.

Denmark was my first country after thailand and unfortunately since moving to england after that i have lost most of the danish language. the reason i have come about you and some others in similar situation involving this lawyer, is that i was researching history of thailand around the mid 70's and that of the vietnam war and how much thailand was involved. it's been a great interest to me as i have had many thai people saying to me i am not fully thai and seem half western. at the time there were many american troops based all over thailand. there are so many questions in my head as to where i am from, who am i from, my birth parents etc... i do believe i am from isaan (north thailand??) as it seems from stories i have heard who have had dealings with prajak, most children were adopted or taken from there.

i have found a website for this lawyer and i may well be thinking of writing to him and see what recollection he has of that era. i'd like to think that he was saving children from the aftermath of the vietnam war which ended 1975, where alot of mhongs and laos and vietnamese seeked refuge in thailand and adopted out to western countries. who is to say? i don't have the answers but i do so desperately would like you to contact me and tell me what you know of this lawyer Prajak Chouylai. My story is so similar to yours that it's too good to be true. I have no documents with signatures on, just birth certifiacte, i too have fingerprint when i was a baby and adoption papers. i have not the original copy of my birth certifiacte. please contact me, forever grateful thank you!

Hi guys!

Udate on my case.

So....

Perhaps I am getting paranoid about this, but I can't help but wonder why this lady is so unwilling to cooperate.(...)

Take care,

/comehome

I am still appalled that this scam was going on in the seventies. I wouldn't have known about it without your thread, and I am sure many others wouldn't either. I would hope that the Thai government would now help all these victims rather than being uncooperative. It is time ti right the wrong, and give these victims Thai identity. It's the least they can do.

i am in the same place, adopted from thailand 1975 under false mothers name into danish family. the lawyer that dealt with it was prajak chouylai. does anyone know anything of this man?

Hi guys!

Udate on my case.

So....

Take care,

/comehome

i am in the same place, adopted from thailand 1975 under false mothers name into danish family. the lawyer that dealt with it was prajak chouylai. does anyone know anything of this man?

Just Google his name. I came across this: http://www.proz.com/ht/profile_resources/103840_r424dcd8bc2425.doc.

i would very much like that you get in touch with me. i also was adopted out of thailand in 1975 by the same lawyer Prajak Chouylai. I was adopted by danish parents through this man. I would like to know more about him if you have any more information about him. I have tried to contact him through his email address but as I can gather he will will not reply. My story is very similar to yours..fake birth parents and fake identity. I need to know more what happened in the period of 1975-1977. 1978 was when the adoption law changed. I understand alot went on in that time with vietnam was was finishing, american troops leaving thailand and khymer rouge came in and terroized the place, which makes me wonder was this Prajak helping the children of thailand or expoliting the aftemath of the war to his advantage and making money out of wanting parents from europe? My heart is indecisive but yet I have to say my upbringing was to no fault at all and completely loving. My question is, what was his motive to adopt so many children out of thailand, through the crisis? good or greed? please get back to me and tell me what you believe. thank you!

• 7 months later...