Dvd Drive

khaosuwan

Excuse my ignorance but I am relatively new to computing.

I have had no problems playing a CD or DVD on my laptop but until recently, when I inserted a DVD into the drive, it just gives 4 or 5 clicks and then nothing happens. The same applies to a music CD.

Maybe I should supply you with further information which would help.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Excuse my ignorance but I am relatively new to computing.

I have had no problems playing a CD or DVD on my laptop but until recently, when I inserted a DVD into the drive, it just gives 4 or 5 clicks and then nothing happens. The same applies to a music CD.

Maybe I should supply you with further information which would help.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Does it happen with all your CDs and DVDs? Have you tried to play those with another computer?

Edited by Goyave

Yes it happens with all my dvd/cds all of which I have previously played on this laptop.

Check if you can see your DVD drive in the Device Manager (Right click on "Start" button, then select "Explore", right click on "My Computer" icon, select "Properties" and click on the "Device Manger" button in the "Hardware" tab). If you can not see it, you should try to power off your laptop, unplug the AC/DC adapter and remove the battery. Then, try to remove the DVD drive and plug it again. Plug the battery and AC/DC adapter again, and check if it is recognized and works correctly now.

If you can see the DVD drive in the Device Manager (with no error/warning), you can try to update the driver first. If it does not improve the situation, try to delete the driver and then, force your computer to scan for hardware changes (it should be the last small icon on the right just under the menu in the Device Manager window).

If you still have the problem after those operations, the problem may be a physical defect on the DVD drive itself (need to be repaired or replaced then), but you can still check your registry settings (have a look at CCleaner for instance, it's a freeware tool that allows you to clean a lot of unneeded stuff in your PC) and if virus or other malware programs are present in your computer (Free anti-virus: AVG, Antivir, Avast...; Free anti-spyware: SpyBot, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Terminator...; Free anti-adware: Ad-Aware; use your favorite search engine to find those tools if necessary...).

> It takes 20+ minutes to burn a 500MB file!

> Can anyone kindly explain why it's happening?

Normally better to open a new thread than append to an existing one, even if the question is similar.

The 20 minute burn time might be normal if you have told the software to burn at x1 speed ?

If the 500Meg file is being copied from a slow form of memory, Ver 1.0 USB stick or heavily fragmented HDD it could explain a slow burn time. Or if the software is verifying as it goes.

Have you tried a different brand of blank disk?

Does the software offer a short estimated finish time at the start of the project, but then take four times as long?