My Heart Sank

It really broke my heart as I was walking along Soi Chaweng Beach and I walked past a nice bloke and his partner and they were wrapped in bandages and had wounds to the head and entire body. I just thought to myself, thank the lord I wasn't foolish enough to bother renting a motorbike.

While I drive a bike where I live here in Pattaya, I'm thankful I did not risk ruining a nice short vacation in Samui by trying to see everything by bike.

I read it mentioned a number of times here on this forum before we left and seeing those two in person really just broke my heart. They looked like such a nice couple and I can't imagine how they must feel after having spent hours in a hospital getting fixed up.

People, walk the town! It's one thing to get banged up at home, but why risk a pleasant vacation?

(i edited this to mention that I have no proof they got banged up from renting and crashing a motorbike, I'm just assuming. It's possible they fell off a cliff or got trampled by a pack of wild dogs. I'm also going to assume that they are unfamiliar with driving a motorbike in Thailand, but if you've never done it before, it's not hard to get nicked up.)

Edited by anothertorres

oh and, i got a killer Tag Heuer fake for B3300 *less* than what he started at. It stopped working within an hour, brought it back the next day and he brought me into the back room to pick out another. I'm happy to report that it's been 24 hours now and it's time is still dead on.

B1500 and it's pleasant to read the time from. Koh Samui was good to the wife and I.

oh and, i got a killer Tag Heuer fake for B3300 *less* than what he started at. It stopped working within an hour, brought it back the next day and he brought me into the back room to pick out another. I'm happy to report that it's been 24 hours now and it's time is still dead on.

B1500 and it's pleasant to read the time from. Koh Samui was good to the wife and I.

nice to read a happy post on the samui forum :o

samui roads + inexperienced driver + (probably) rarely serviced motorbike = recipe for disaster.

the odd idiot gets tanked up to the max to make the equation even worse.

Yep. I don´t get it. Take the people from my own tied up country for instans. Most of them would never consider driving anything after two beers at home. If they where ever to try a motorbike, witch they would need a licence for first, they sure would never consider even starting it without a helmet, and proper gear on. So, these guys come here, rent a bike (quite often a very big and fast one), drunken up, take it out and drive like crazy (wheelies even) without anything but shortpants on them. Probably thinking it´s leagal over here.

Shame is that when accidents happens, the media and word over in Europe is more accusing Thailand than the insane behavior of these crazy guys. :o

anothertorres wrote:

While I drive a bike where I live here in Pattaya, I'm thankful I did not risk ruining a nice short vacation in Samui by trying to see everything by bike.

I don't get it. Are you immune from injury in Pattaya driving a motorbike? What could possibly be the difference? There are plenty of drunks in Pattaya, stupid drivers, sand on the roads, inexperienced drivers and all the things that make driving a two-wheeler in Samui "dangerous."

Why don't you walk in Pattaya? Aren't you concerned you may "ruin" your life there?

"While I juggle sharpened butcher knives where I live here in Pattaya, I'm thankful I did not risk ruining a nice short vacation in Samui by trying to do that in Samui."

anothertorres wrote:

I don't get it. Are you immune from injury in Pattaya driving a motorbike? What could possibly be the difference? There are plenty of drunks in Pattaya, stupid drivers, sand on the roads, inexperienced drivers and all the things that make driving a two-wheeler in Samui "dangerous."

Why don't you walk in Pattaya? Aren't you concerned you may "ruin" your life there?

"While I juggle sharpened butcher knives where I live here in Pattaya, I'm thankful I did not risk ruining a nice short vacation in Samui by trying to do that in Samui."

first off girlfriend, relax on the tone. i ain't your guy.

second off, my point was very clear. there is nothing wrong with driving a motorbike, as i drive one myself. accidents happen all the time and people get hurt everyday. my point was, why risk a great vacation with your lovely companion by renting a motorbike on such a small island?

thirdly, take a deep breath, i'm not hear to fight you or to re-write my words in slower terms so you can understand them. be cool, it's gonna be alright and we're all gonna run towards the bomb...

YOU may want consider you are supporting an illegal trade.

Would you appreciate it if the tables were turned and you were the one whose ideas and creations were being ripped off?

Edited by HorseDoctor

It really broke my heart as I was walking along Soi Chaweng Beach and I walked past a nice bloke and his partner and they were wrapped in bandages and had wounds to the head and entire body. I just thought to myself, thank the lord I wasn't foolish enough to bother renting a motorbike.

I read it mentioned a number of times here on this forum before we left and seeing those two in person really just broke my heart. They looked like such a nice couple and I can't imagine how they must feel after having spent hours in a hospital getting fixed up.

People, walk the town! It's one thing to get banged up at home, but why risk a pleasant vacation?

(i edited this to mention that I have no proof they got banged up from renting and crashing a motorbike, I'm just assuming. It's possible they fell off a cliff or got trampled by a pack of wild dogs. I'm also going to assume that they are unfamiliar with driving a motorbike in Thailand, but if you've never done it before, it's not hard to get nicked up.)

the rationale of this post is"if its at all risky,dont do it".........just stay in your hotel room you'll be safe there.I mean you could walk down chaweng beach road(hardly any side walk) and get knocked over by a motor bike too.

YOU may want consider you are supporting an illegal trade.

Would you appreciate it if the tables were turned and you were the one whose ideas and creations were being ripped off?

trust me when i tell you, my heart does not go out to Tag Heuer. i don't have any tables to turn. i'm not above anyone else, nor do i post on message boards insinuating such ideas :o