Bringing A Handgun Into Thailand From Usa

John13

my friend who lives in thailand had many attempted break-in in the middle of the night. he spoke to a police officer and was quoted a price to purchase a handgun, the handgun, a glock he was selling was about three or four times the retail price in the USA. he has a family in thailand and four kids and was concerned. he asked me to check on line for him to see if anyone knows the procedure, or if it is even possible. thank you for any information and i will forward it to him.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my friend who lives in thailand had many attempted break-in in the middle of the night. he spoke to a police officer and was quoted a price to purchase a handgun, the handgun, a glock he was selling was about three or four times the retail price in the USA. he has a family in thailand and four kids and was concerned. he asked me to check on line for him to see if anyone knows the procedure, or if it is even possible. thank you for any information and i will forward it to him.

Just buy the gun at a local price. You won't be able to bring a gun in yourself, retailers have enough trouble with customs as it is.

Guns, especially glocks, retain resale value very well. If it's such a concern then just get one.

So what then if somebody does try to break in, is he going to shoot/kill them??

The vast majority of break ins are opportunist and if rumbled then the burgulars are very very likely to simply run because they do not want to be caught. And anybody who shows a gun raises the stakes.

Maybe it is just the way it is done in the UK but myself and the vast majority of Brits that I know would not want a gun in the house.

Instead he should invest in a big dog, burgular alarm, baseball bat or even a pet goose (Seriously, they are noisier than any guard dog)

Take a look at the Farangs you see wandering around Thailand and ask yourself .... do you really want these people to have guns?

OK it might reduce the number of Farangs jumping off buildings, but that's hardly an argument that will win the day.

What is it with you Yanks and guns?

Guesthouse makes a valid point and I agree.

There is enough nutters in America walking about with guns, please dont bring that culture over here.

He has a family and 4 kids.

4 more reasons not to have a gun in the house.

4 more reasons TOO have a gun in the house. Be responsible enough to teach them about the gun and let them know its not a toy. Over all its your responsibility as the man of the house to protect your family. A gun in the house is a good thing if your responsible enough to manage it.

4 more reasons TOO have a gun in the house. Be responsible enough to teach them about the gun and let them know its not a toy. Over all its your responsibility as the man of the house to protect your family. A gun in the house is a good thing if your responsible enough to manage it.

Correct, people need to remember, you ARE entitled to defend yourself in a violent situation AND the police are (99% of the time) a reactionary entity, not proactive at all. You need to take care of yourself and loved ones first and foremost.

The law of the jungle is never far away, especially in LOS :o

The US has the gunlaw for the whole reason of (in word at least) to prevent tyranny. It doesn't always work but is more than can be said for the UK which is under the thumb a zillion times more than the US is (alas) :D

Best bet would be to have a search around for other such threads, op, as the procedure has been laid out on such things. If indeed your friend did blow a lowlife away and is worried about xenophobic retribution, simply get the missus to print the weapon in question :o

A gun in the house is a good thing if your responsible enough to manage it.

Having lived and worked in one of the most violent cities in the world and carried a concealed firearm for all those years, with all due respect you are talking through your ar*e, a gun in the house is not a good thing and most certainly not with kids around.

I just wish our colonial cousins would give their John Wayne, Rambo attitudes at rest, there is no wild west, buffalo bill etc anymore

Having a concealed weapon or weapon in the house does not make things safer, all it does is it provides a false sense of security rather put in security system, get a big dog, a base ball bat under the bed....

As to the poster who stated "The US has the gunlaw for the whole reason of (in word at least) to prevent tyranny".....you may have missed the boat on that one....you already have tyranny...GWB and the patriot act, you just dont know its happened you.

I spoke with my gf about this.  I told her when we retired in Thailand and live in the province, I asked her to buy a pump action shotgun.  She said that she doesn't know how to shoot a gun (I'll teach her when she moves to the US later next year).

Pump action shotgun is the way to go.  If someone is breaking into your house, all you have to do is rack the slide :D  and the burglar will most like go away.  it's a very distinct/universal sound (i.e. oh shi*...maybe I don't want to go in there  :o ).  

If someone is breaking into your house, all you have to do is rack the slide :o  and the burglar will most like go away.

To return again at some later point, better prepared.

Guns do not prevent robberies, they only ensure that it is going to get nasty ..... and as for having a gun in the house when there are children around being Ok if you teach them how to behave responsibly, utter rubbish.

I spoke with my gf about this. I told her when we retired in Thailand and live in the province, I asked her to buy a pump action shotgun. She said that she doesn't know how to shoot a gun (I'll teach her when she moves to the US later next year).

Pump action shotgun is the way to go. If someone is breaking into your house, all you have to do is rack the slide :D and the burglar will most like go away. it's a very distinct/universal sound (i.e. oh shi*...maybe I don't want to go in there :o ).

So based on this premise, all you need to do is buy the shot gun, dont need any shells and you dont need to teach the GF how to shoot...because the noise is enough.. :D ....then why bother buying the shot gun in the first place ?....think you have been watching too many movies... :D

I spoke with my gf about this.  I told her when we retired in Thailand and live in the province, I asked her to buy a pump action shotgun.  She said that she doesn't know how to shoot a gun (I'll teach her when she moves to the US later next year).

Pump action shotgun is the way to go.  If someone is breaking into your house, all you have to do is rack the slide :D  and the burglar will most like go away.  it's a very distinct/universal sound (i.e. oh shi*...maybe I don't want to go in there  :o ).  

And if they have never heard that sound before ??

OP has disappeared, looks like more of a troll than anything.

Shot my fair share of foxes, rabbits and fence posts growing up, would not entertain having a gun in my house in Thailand, not if we don't want it turning into a mini version of the grand old gun toting US of A that the OP and his friend plan. If he gets a gun I hope it blows up in his face.

Agree with Carlb, 4 kids in the house, a very very good reason not to have a gun.

1 gun in the hand of at theif, and he leaves with your wallet, 2 guns, one in your hand, one in his, whose gonna die........ the one ready to use it coz he is on hostile territory, up on drugs and primed, NOT the house owner who's just come out of a deep slumber.

Better with the dog! Even little toy poodles yap and howl so much a theif would think twice about entering the building.

Guns are not the solution!

I woke up about 3 a.m. one morning to the sounds of two guys nearly beating to death a poor bloke on my front lawn. The police had never responded sooner than 45 minutes to an hour to previous calls for help. I made the useless phone call, but when the sounds of the beaten one began to sound desperate (like strangulation), I did exactly as suggested above (weapon not even loaded). The attackers ran off and I was able to give first aid until the authorities arrived (90 minutes later).

One life saved, I believe. How much more relieved I might have been had I thwarted an attacker inside my house, attacking a family member.

The argument is pretty strong both ways.

Edited by toptuan

I spoke with my gf about this. I told her when we retired in Thailand and live in the province, I asked her to buy a pump action shotgun. She said that she doesn't know how to shoot a gun (I'll teach her when she moves to the US later next year).

Pump action shotgun is the way to go. If someone is breaking into your house, all you have to do is rack the slide :D and the burglar will most like go away. it's a very distinct/universal sound (i.e. oh shi*...maybe I don't want to go in there :o ).

I woke up about 3 a.m. one morning to the sounds of two guys nearly beating to death a poor bloke on my front lawn. The police had never responded sooner than 45 minutes to an hour to previous calls for help. I made the useless phone call, but when the sounds of the beaten one began to sound desperate (like strangulation), I did exactly as suggested above (weapon not even loaded). The attackers ran off and I was able to give first aid until the authorities arrived (90 minutes later).

One life saved, I believe. How much more relieved I might have been had the attacker been inside my house, attacking a family member.

With a dog in the house the guy would likely have been unharmed.

One life saved, I believe. How much more relieved I might have been had the attacker been inside my house, attacking a family member.

With a dog in the house the guy would likely have been unharmed.

Probably not. At the time, I was living on 2.5 acres, and the incident was taking place about 100 meters away from my house. My neighbor, who was closer to the action, was gone and his sheepdog was barking much closer to the action. No deterrent. The guys sounded drunk to boot, so the dog-alarm didn't seem to phase them. They did however, looked like deer-in-the-headlights when the more "universal sound" and a warning shout were issued.

Two pervasive points of view are evident in this discussion. Answer force with force, or answer force with pacifism?

The aggressors of two world wars and the late Ronald Regan standing up to the old Soviet Union (thus helping to bring an end to the cold war) are lessons of history which help me to answer that question.

Edited by toptuan

I once bought a handgun here from a Thai acquaintance some years ago, resulting from a few half-arsed attempts to break into the house I was renting at the time.

My loyal mutt at the time seemed to have deterred the would-be robbers. I came home one time to find it slightly injured and with its collar halfway over its face, obviously as the result of a struggle. (I loved that dog *sniff*).

Anyway, I sold the gun on again at a small loss, when I realised that I had never bought 50k's worth of fireworks before, and not let them off...

I enjoy the occasional trip to the local shooting range, but using or possessing a gun in a domestic setting is a whole different thing. You are upping the stakes exponentially....

I still think a protection dog is better than any gun. The dog will know there is a problem way before you ever would, the barking is a deterrent that doesn't require the possible dangerous finality of discharging a firearm mistakenly. The gun cant protect your house and belongings when your away. The dog doesn't require good aim to hit its target. You can run away from the problem while the dog runs towards it.

...using or possessing a gun in a domestic setting is a whole different thing. You are upping the stakes exponentially....

Agreed. Using power responsibly is the accompanying issue. Maybe unlike the police storming PAD. :o

Edited by toptuan

There are enough bloody guns in Thailand as it is without foreigners bringing in even more from outside :o