Pay Overstay Fine At Immigration Or Airport?

I'm 101 days overstayed on a non imm O visa (retirement extension). I just realized I've overstayed when I was taking my passport to a travel agency to get a visa to travel to Vietnam in 19 days. What do I do now? Should I go to immigration in Chiang Mai and apply for another visa and pay a fine to them? OR or should I wait until I depart Bangkok and pay a fine when I leave for Vietnam (if they notice)? OR would it be better for me to go over the border at Luang Prabang (paying a fine if necessary) and return by applying for a 90 day non imm O visa or a visa on arrival at Luang Probang? If anyone has advice on this, I really would appreciate it.

I did not complete my application for a Vietnam visa at the travel agency when I noticed the problem., If I decide to pay the fine when I leave Thailand for Vietnam, can I risk handing my passport over to the travel agency to obtain the Vietnam visa?

Incidently: My visa expired on July 20, 2008. I made my 90 day residence report on July 21, 2008 and they gave me a new report date of October 18,2008.

I'm 101 days overstayed on a non imm O visa (retirement extension). I just realized I've overstayed when I was taking my passport to a travel agency to get a visa to travel to Vietnam in 19 days. What do I do now? Should I go to immigration in Chiang Mai and apply for another visa and pay a fine to them? OR or should I wait until I depart Bangkok and pay a fine when I leave for Vietnam (if they notice)? OR would it be better for me to go over the border at Luang Prabang (paying a fine if necessary) and return by applying for a 90 day non imm O visa or a visa on arrival at Luang Probang? If anyone has advice on this, I really would appreciate it.

I did not complete my application for a Vietnam visa at the travel agency when I noticed the problem., If I decide to pay the fine when I leave Thailand for Vietnam, can I risk handing my passport over to the travel agency to obtain the Vietnam visa?

Incidently: My visa expired on July 20, 2008. I made my 90 day residence report on July 21, 2008 and they gave me a new report date of October 18,2008.

that makes ir 9 days overstay if youe report date was 18/10/08

Your original visa can expire it is your extension that counts.

When does your extension expire.

Looking at your report date due on Oct. 18 you had an extension until at least that date.

You are past due on your report that it is not an overstay. Fine is 2000 baht.

Edited by ubonjoe

Looking at your report date due on Oct. 18 you had an extension until at least that date.

are you sure?

My retirement extension expired July 20, 2008. I didn't realize it and when I did my 90 day report on July 21, immigration didn't realize it either. On my "Receipt of Notification" on July 21 they stamped my next notification to be 18 October, 2008.

Whether they use July 20 or October 18, I'm still overstayed. What should I do?

I can't understand how immigration made that mistake.

If you can meet all the requirement for your extension go to immigration and pay the 20,000 baht fine plus 2000 baht for a late report.

Edited by ubonjoe

I can't understand how immigration made that mistake.

If you can meet all the requirement for your extension go to immigration and pay the 20,000 baht fine plus 2000 baht for a late report.

I don't think I can extend a visa that is already expired. Anyone know? I think I have to leave the country to apply for another visa. OR can I go to immigration office, pay fines and get new visa?

You are extending your extension of stay not your visa.

You can still do an extension. They may even be nice about it because they compounded the problem when you went in July and they didn't notice and took your report.

If not they will let you pay the overstay and give you an extension for 7 days that will cost you 1900 baht.

Either way I would pay it at Suan Plu - but on the day you fly of course.

Why would it be better to pay when I depart Thailand rather than go to immigration? I live in Chiang Mai and will need to get another visa. Where is Suan Plu?

The OP is in Chiang Mai. It can be paid at the airport.

I think I'm illegal until I get a new visa. So wouldn't it be better to go to immigration now and try to straighten it out?

Why would it be better to pay when I depart Thailand rather than go to immigration? I live in Chiang Mai and will need to get another visa. Where is Suan Plu?

It's in Bangkok. Go ahead and get your extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

The OP is in Chiang Mai. It can be paid at the airport.
I think I'm illegal until I get a new visa. So wouldn't it be better to go to immigration now and try to straighten it out?

I was trying to correct an incorect post.

Go and get your extension done.

Edited by ubonjoe

It's in Bangkok. Go ahead and get your extension.

I'm confused because discussions on the other topics (Extreme Overstay, etc.) say you can't get an extension if you're already overstayed. My visa & my retirement extension are both overstayed since July 20, 2008. The only paper I have mentioning a later date is my 90 day notification paper.

I'm confused because discussions on the other topics (Extreme Overstay, etc.) say you can't get an extension if you're already overstayed. My visa & my retirement extension are both overstayed since July 20, 2008. The only paper I have mentioning a later date is my 90 day notification paper.

In most of the cases you read they had nothing to extend. And no legal reason for immigration to grant an extension.

You should have no problem getting your extension. I think also if you point out their error it may help a little.

Good Luck

Joe

In most of the cases you read they had nothing to extend. And no legal reason for immigration to grant an extension.

You should have no problem getting your extension. I think also if you point out their error it may help a little.

Good Luck

Joe

Great, thanks. I'm going to apply for a retirement extension on my expired visa of 101 days at Chiang Mai immigration.

Has anyone out there ever done this at CM immigration?

Has anyone applied for new extension of retirement visa at immigration while overstaying previous extension?