Total Ignorance

Dear all,

I am currently working in Japan on a 90 day visa and in January plan on coming to Thailand for a two week holiday with my girlfriend who is Romanian.

1) do we need to get visas first or just fill in the normal paperwork on the aeroplane?

2) I am going to be based down here for a long time and would like to make Thailand my home base even though I will not be working there, I will be working on a month on month off basis so my getting re-entry visas should not be a problem but will my girlfriend be able to stay in Thailand in my absence?

3) What is the going rental rate for a decent apartment there?

Thanks, Sandy

You've got no problems providing each visit does not exceed 30 days......UK citizens are on the list of 39 countries entitled to 30 day stay visa exemption on arrival stamps. However as far as i can see Romania is not on the list so your girlfriend will have to obtain a tourist visa in Japan before her visit to Thailand..........i/m not sure how "user friendly" the Thai Embassy is in Japan but she may be able to obtain a double entry or even a triple entry tourist visa enabling her to stay for 180 (double entry) or even 270 days (with a triple entry visa).......these figures include 2 thirty extensions within Thailand and 1 border run in the case of the double entry and 3 thirty day extensions and 2 border runs in the case of the triple entry visa.Regards apartment......whereabouts?

You do not require a visa for up to 30 day tourist stay in Thailand. But your girlfriend must have a valid tourist visa prior to boarding aircraft. She will not be allowed to remain in Thailand without a valid visa and your relationship will have no effect on this.

You've  got  no  problems  providing  each  visit  does  not  exceed  30  days......UK  citizens  are  on  the  list  of  39  countries  entitled  to  30  day  stay  visa  exemption  on  arrival  stamps. However  as  far  as  i  can  see  Romania  is  not  on  the  list  so  your  girlfriend  will  have  to  obtain  a  tourist  visa  in  Japan  before  her  visit  to  Thailand..........i/m  not  sure  how  "user  friendly"  the  Thai  Embassy  is  in  Japan  but  she  may  be  able  to  obtain  a  double  entry  or  even  a  triple  entry  tourist  visa  enabling  her  to  stay  for  180 (double  entry)  or  even  270  days (with  a triple  entry  visa).......these  figures  include  2  thirty  extensions  within  Thailand  and  1  border  run  in  the  case  of  the  double  entry  and  3  thirty  day  extensions  and  2  border  runs  in  the  case  of  the  triple  entry  visa.Regards  apartment......whereabouts?

Thanks for that info Thaiflyer, as for the apartment, we are going to stay in Phuket for a holiday but Im open to suggestions about where to actually live,

Sandy

You do not require a visa for up to 30 day tourist stay in Thailand.  But your girlfriend must have a valid tourist visa prior to boarding aircraft.  She will not be allowed to remain in Thailand without a valid visa and your relationship will have no effect on this.

Thanks for that lopburi, I thought that her being Romanian might throw a spanner in the works, we will have to see what the Thai embassy over here will grant her,

cheers, Sandy

Thai Embassy in Tokyo are great - much better than their American counterparts

Cheers Pedro we'll try there, hopefully it can be done via phone and mail as we are down in Nagasaki,

Sandy

Information/download is available on this page (if you have not already found it):

http://www.thaiembassy.jp/visa-e/tourist.htm

Thai Embassy in Tokyo are great - much better than their American counterparts

Cheers Pedro we'll try there, hopefully it can be done via phone and mail as we are down in Nagasaki,

Sandy

Information/download is available on this page (if you have not already found it):

http://www.thaiembassy.jp/visa-e/tourist.htm

Thanks, lopburi, have had a look at that site now and it looks as though we are too late to apply for her visa as we were planning on going in January, and they request that you apply 90 days prior to arrival, looks like we may have to go elsewhere for some sun and sand!!

Sandy

Thanks, lopburi, have had a look at that site now and it looks as though we are too late to apply for her visa as we were planning on going in January, and they request that you apply 90 days prior to arrival, looks like we may have to go elsewhere for some sun and sand!!

Sandy

Read again. Not earlier than 90 days is my read. Two weeks is the recommended time prior to travel.

Sandy

Read again. Not earlier than 90 days is my read. Two weeks is the recommended time prior to travel.

Doh! your right Lopburi