Thais Know Best In Thailand " Coz They're Thai "

junkofdavid2

O.K. here we go: Booking the local flights for a trip over seas, both are educated overseas, (Queensland University of Technology) and brought back a BA Diploma.....

so here we go, they fiddle on the internet, get it all put the print out, with a bright smile of success on my desk and I have a look at it.... it's not a leisure trip it's quite an important business trip with the international flights booked already, this was the local connection flight to and from Suvannabhum...

At first glance everything looked fine, I smiled back and said: "Okay!"...sometime later I looked through the electronic ticket again...

Departure: Suvannabuhm

Arrival Ko Samui

hmmm.... it was booked the wrong way!

Departure supposed to be FROM Samui!

Just.... one of these stories... just one!

You ask a Thai a specific question, such as how many credit cards her friends have. She asks you if you want a credit card. She thinks you meant something else. Or more likely, she does not want to answer, and may not know the answer, and does not wish to admit she does not know. That is the fear that drives them to ignore or give a lie. They are afraid to admit Mai Kojai.

Jay Leno has a segment on his comedy TV show called 'Jaywalking' where he goes on the sidewalk with a mic and asks passers-by simple questions. One question was; complete this sentence; "a stitch in time saves......."

The first couple Americans he asked couldn't complete it.

Same for completing the sentence: "Give me liberty or give me......."

Jay gave a hint to one lady, saying the last word rhymed with 'Beth'

She misunderstood 'liberty' to be 'librium' and answered; 'meth'

as in, "Give me librium or give me meth."

Thai people are scant different than other nationalities in their foibles. I have a Thai friend who looked at the walls of a house I was building. He saw bricks coming together in a staggered interlocking pattern (standard in western construction) and declared that such construction wouldn't be strong, because corners of buildings always have to be pillars or posts. He was wrong, but we had a good-natured conversation about such things.

O.K. here we go: Booking the local flights for a trip over seas, both are educated overseas, (Queensland University of Technology) and brought back a BA Diploma.....

so here we go, they fiddle on the internet, get it all put the print out, with a bright smile of success on my desk and I have a look at it.... it's not a leisure trip it's quite an important business trip with the international flights booked already, this was the local connection flight to and from Suvannabhum...

At first glance everything looked fine, I smiled back and said: "Okay!"...sometime later I looked through the electronic ticket again...

Departure: Suvannabuhm

Arrival Ko Samui

hmmm.... it was booked the wrong way!

Departure supposed to be FROM Samui!

Just.... one of these stories... just one!

Yes, it's good to scrutinize tickets from travel agents - as soon as you get them. I had a return flight from Bkk to San Francisco in 2007. I didn't realize, until I was checking in for the return flight, that the agent had put November on the return, rather than October - so it it looked like I was one month early for the return flight. The flight had no room for stand-by, and there was only that one scheduled flight each 24 hours. I was looking at waiting 24 hours to try and get another chance at a stand-by seat, and possibly repeating the ordeal for days on end, because they routinely overbook that flight. Luckily I befriended an Iranian who was in the same quagmire as me, and together we hired a car to go to LAX (15 hour drive) and were both able to catch a flight from there on the same airline. He got to sit next to a darling lass, whereas I got to sit next to a fat Filipino guy who was eating a tub of greasy fried chicken the whole flight. Even so, I was sorely relieved to get a seat.

Jay Leno has a segment on his comedy TV show called 'Jaywalking' where he goes on the sidewalk with a mic and asks passers-by simple questions.

Same for completing the sentence: "Give me liberty or give me......."

Jay gave a hint to one lady, saying the last word rhymed with 'Beth'

She misunderstood 'liberty' to be 'librium' and answered; 'meth'

as in, "Give me librium or give me meth."

The main difference here is that the American couple knows it's funny, and they answer as part of the fun... But the Thai will look at you in the eye seriously and give you wrong information in order to "save face". :o

I am currently building in Isaan, and before we started, the builder and I agreed, that the concrete have to dry atleast a week, wrapped in plastic or in the forms.

Now I am getting telephone calls, that they only want to let them dry overnight.

The wife is "shy" because I am being difficult, and they do not make a house like that in Thailand.

Concrete apparently acts different in Isaan.

I'll go there tomorrow, and make the wife more shy.

wanna turn left in your car just do it no need to look or think about anyone or anything else after all if you kill a few folk including yourself it was going to happen anyway!! + you'll all come back higher up the heriachy. yeahhhhhhhhhhh right.

Electricity is also different in Thailand. Don't worry about any of the normal laws of physics when you're wiring your house. They don't apply here.

This is also a major annoyance to me. Of course I'm wrong since Thailand is the centre of the cosmos.

Ignorance cosmos

:o

If you asked an American or Euro 'which bank is the strongest' I can guarantee that the VAST majority of people will have no idea and will answer in a similar way. That's a <deleted> stupid question to judge national characteristics on.

I agree ...

If asked which bank was strongest between 2 banks from my home country .... I would have no clue. Then again I would have looked at the OP as if he were clueless and wandered off ... I wouldn't have answered.

Too true. I would have no idea whatsoever.

I think some farangs know facts about Thailand from pouring over guide books. If someone on holiday in Ireland has read lots of books on the country, they may know some interesting or not so interesting things that I wouldn't about my own country.