Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ulysses G.

Due to the world economy and strife in Bangkok, right now, most tourist-oriented businesses in Chiang Mai are struggling for customers, but every time I go to Miguel's Mexican the place is doing well and often almost full all year round.

The famous Chef, American Mike, put together a REAL menu of Southern California style Mexican food several years ago and then - as is his way - sold it to a true Canadian gentleman who kept the great food, but immediately started adding more drinks and deserts to the menu and making the place a lot more comfortable.

Mark told me that sales have gone up 80% since he bought it and that was during a good year.

He has lots of people trying to copy him, but no one else is offering real, good quality Mexican food like Marks.

His success really goes to show you what coming up with a good quality, unique product and continuing to improve it can do for you in South East Asia. Congratulations Mark! :o

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second that, Mr. U. I spoke to Mike about franchising his wonderful place to Pattaya and he told me "no way" because his whole thing was to do the same good food the same good way as the previous owner in that one location and he didn't move to Thailand for more stress. That speaks to the focus for that one location.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm glad someone so well known for his good taste agrees with me. I was afraid that the folks in Pattaya and Bangkok would think that I was exaggerating.

I have just visited both cities, tried the most recommended Mexican places and still think that Miguel's Mexican is King! :o

Yes Mark does a fine job. Love the food and staff. But I do have a problem trying to get out of the tight on my ass chairs when time to leave. Usually have one of the gals pry it off my butt for 20 Baht. Entertaining but bruising. You ever have that problem UG? I also noticed they were open last Monday and usually closed then. Is this the new policy?

Edited by bunta71

I am a regular at Miguel's so are bunch of my friends. Marc does a great job, has kept on upgrading the place, the food is as good as it was the day Mike set it up. What sets him apart from the rest are few things:

1) The owner is usually there!

2) The owner is not intoxicated or entertaining a group of friends at the best table of the house!

3) His Thai partner has not hired the whole useless clan (family) to work at the place!

4) He does not play music (Thai or Falang) so loud, that talking is impossible!

5) He has more then one frying pan working, meaning that food arrives at similar times for each guest at the same table!

6) When a guest complains (which I have seen only once), the owner actually does something about it(in this case brought a whole new portion of food), instead of just giving the usual dummy smile, and the middle finger behind the back!

7) When the owner is not there, he actually has staff that can and will serve great food and provide good service and don't get lost in the latest gossip or hanging on the mobiles for hours at end!

There are very few western food places in Chiang Mai on the caliber of Miguel's, the only other I can name right away is Dukes.

A few months ago a Thai restaurant owner not far from Miguel's asked me how come Miguel's had so many customers. Where does he advertise, was the first and only question! I said he was in few of the "normal" tourist magazines and fliers.

I asked him if he had ever visited the place and the answer was NO. So I did the useless talk and explanation that the food was actually great, good size portions, the place was clean, the staff did a good job and most importantly the food was consistent from one visit to the next.

I might just as well have tried to explain higher mathematics or complex solar system theories. There was a blink in the eyes and end of discussion!

:o

Yes Mark does a fine job. Love the food and staff. But I do have a problem trying to get out of the tight on my ass chairs when time to leave. Usually have one of the gals pry it off my butt for 20 Baht. Entertaining but bruising. You ever have that problem UG? I also noticed they were open last Monday and usually closed then. Is this the new policy?

Mark is open every Monday now and has been for many weeks - 7 days a week. Mark does a fine job. Truly a success story.

Yes, the tight chairs would be maybe my only complaint. :o

Count me in as being another very pleased repeat customer of Miguel's. I found the place the first night I arrived in CM last year. I was staying just down the street at the Amora hotel for two weeks and having been a visitor of numerous trips to LOS I decided I wanted something different from the local Thai food. So I saw Miguel's sign just down the street and decided to venture in. Needless to say after now living in CM for a year I very rarely eat out (as I cook at home) but Miguel's is always on my list at least once a month. Can't go wrong with the food there!

Since the new guy took over and made the place a lot more comfortable and tagging along with UG who points out the good stuff to eat, it has crept into my Chiang Mai top ten restaurants :o

It's in my top 3. :D My girlfriend loves the food there too and considers it her favorite farang restaurant.

Try the fish tacos. Muy delicioso!

I never thought a fish taco would taste good until I had one years ago in a Colorado Wahoo's location. I was quite surprised how good it was. I have never had one at Miguel's yet as I have always favored the beef and chicken. I guess I'll give the fish one a try sometime.

I've only been here a couple of decades so not come across Miguel's yet. Where is it exactly?

CMMCB

Same here ... is this the 'exotic' place along the moat where you have to pay for the food before you get it ??

yes

• 8 months later...

every time I go to Miguel's Mexican the place is doing well ... great food ... ... good quality, unique product and continuing to improve
Miguel's is great, love eating there ... Kind and efficient staff ... Good quality ingredients, with nice portion sizing (not too much, or too little).

Here's yet another vote in favour of Miguel's.

I enjoy eating at restaurants, and Miquel's is the place I go back to more than any other in Chiangmai.

One more plus there -- not yet mentioned -- Miquel's is an island in a sea of MSG. :D

Thai cooks -- no matter if they are preparing Thai food or Western food -- think that MSG is an essential ingredient in everything.

The flavours at Miquel's are so enticing that I suspected MSG there, too.

So I asked the owner.

His response, friendly but firm, "There is no MSG at Miquel's." :D

post-42045-1248503243_thumb.png

I recommend the "El Rico" platter: steak taco, beef burrito, chicken quesidilla, plus beans and rice.

Sounds like too much food, but the burrito and quesidilla on that platter are half of normal size, so the total portion is satisfying, but not overload.

For just a lite snack, the steak taco alone is superb.

Try the fish tacos. Muy delicioso!

Thank you.

I haven't yet, but now I will.

Miguel's ... Where is it exactly?

Link to a map.

Also, Miquel's is offered by "Meals on Wheels" for delivery service.

By the way, how are the hamburgers at Miquel's? :)

I've seen hamburger served there -- looked generous and juicy -- but haven't tried it yet.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

It's been several years since i have been in CM but expect to be there next week. So I'm not real familiar with the city. We will be staying at either the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel or the Centara Duangtawan. Can anyone give me directions from either of those places?

1/2 a block North of Spicy.

Just where is this Spicy place. People keep telling me there is lots good to eat there. :)

Well I had to say something for post no 1000

Edited by harrry

Would somebody mind saying how much a typical lunch costs? I am curious as I really have no idea about Mexican food. Actually, I only had my first mexican lunch last week in a restuarant in Osaka, Japan. A vegetarian set that has got me eager to try some more. If anyone cares, that cost 350bht plus a bottle of Mexican beer at 120bht. This is a pretty good deal for Japan. Dinner would be considerably more.

Miquel's has cut their portions back quite a bit in the last year, so it is not cheap, but I think that a chicken burrito with a side order of half rice and half refried beans and a delicious lemonade would be almost 300 baht. To me, it tastes very much like good Mexican food in California and is worth the price, but some people do not agree.

There are cheaper or more expensive options, but that should give you some idea.

I didn't know I liked Mexican food until I went there, and I only went there because so many people on this site recommended it.

Where is the new branch? I remember flyers for it's opening party a few months ago, was it Plaza something?