Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ulysses G.

I didn't know I liked Mexican food until I went there, and I only went there because so many people on this site recommended it.

Where is the new branch? I remember flyers for it's opening party a few months ago, was it Plaza something?

The new branch (actually it's a franchise run by Mark's sister) is in Chiang Mai 89, a strip mall on the old Saraphee road about 1km past where it goes under Mahidol Road - basically go over to the other side of the river from the night bazaar, turn right and follow that road until you come to it about five minutes beyond the Holiday Inn. It's a great building with a nice atmosphere and a pool table - the food is reputedly the same as the original location.

I know it's doing well too because were planning to go out for the evening with the owners but they got a huge booking at the last moment and had to give us a rain check! :)

They seem to have a good lunchtime crowd too.

481685755_BpLK9-M-1.jpg

Quite Hotel California, I thought...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miquel's has cut their portions back quite a bit in the last year, so it is not cheap, but I think that a chicken burrito with a side order of half rice and half refried beans and a delicious lemonade would be almost 300 baht. To me, it tastes very much like good Mexican food in California and is worth the price, but some people do not agree.

There are cheaper or more expensive options, but that should give you some idea.

Miguel's chicken burrito and side order of half rice and half beans with lemonade still sits at only 230 baht, and you could add the delicious apple burrito with ice cream and have a wonderful full meal for only 330 baht :)

. . . I think that a chicken burrito with a side order of half rice and half refried beans and a delicious lemonade would be almost 300 baht. . . .

Miguel's chicken burrito and side order of half rice and half beans with lemonade still sits at only 230 baht, and you could add the delicious apple burrito with ice cream and have a wonderful full meal for only 330 baht :D

You all must have iron wills. Sure, the lemonade's good, but you know the margaritas are better. And if you don't, I sure do. :)

Would somebody mind saying how much a typical lunch costs? I am curious as I really have no idea about Mexican food.

If you click on the food delivery service banner (Meals on Wheels 4U) at the top of the page and then click on the list of restaurants, you can choose Miquel's Mexican and see the entire menu. :)

I'll add my recommendation. I used to go to the original location quite regularly but have recently moved so I'm near the second location and now go even more regularly!

One thing that stands out is the good job they've done in that location in getting the right attitude into the staff. Very friendly and helpful

I didn't know I liked Mexican food until I went there, and I only went there because so many people on this site recommended it.

Where is the new branch? I remember flyers for it's opening party a few months ago, was it Plaza something?

The new branch (actually it's a franchise run by Mark's sister) is in Chiang Mai 89, a strip mall on the old Saraphee road about 1km past where it goes under Mahidol Road - basically go over to the other side of the river from the night bazaar, turn right and follow that road until you come to it about five minutes beyond the Holiday Inn. It's a great building with a nice atmosphere and a pool table - the food is reputedly the same as the original location.

I know it's doing well too because were planning to go out for the evening with the owners but they got a huge booking at the last moment and had to give us a rain check! :D

They seem to have a good lunchtime crowd too.

481685755_BpLK9-M-1.jpg

Quite Hotel California, I thought...

I have to agree been there the last 2 nights and enjoyed everything, the food and the service is 2nd to none. Good luck and continued success to them. :) Wish there were more like them!

Not a place you'd want to take a food maven to make an impression, but otherwise good food of its type. A bit pricey, but not by much. Coats and ties not expected!

But then, perhaps your date can mount up on the back of your bicycle!

Edited by Mapguy

But then, perhaps your date can mount up on the back of your bicycle!

Riding a bicycle is one of the few things that we can do to save the environment that actually helps. Some people whinge, whine and moan on Thai Visa, others ride a bicycle to Miquels Mexican restaurant and save fuel and do not pollute the environment! :)

Riding a bicycle is one of the few things that we can do to save the environment that actually helps. Some people whinge, whine and moan on Thai Visa, others ride a bicycle to Miquels Mexican restaurant and save fuel and do not pollute the environment! :)

hear hear!

I'm glad someone so well known for his good taste agrees with me. I was afraid that the folks in Pattaya and Bangkok would think that I was exaggerating.

I have just visited both cities, tried the most recommended Mexican places and still think that Miguel's Mexican is King! :D

I guess you didn't make it to Tacos & Salsa when you were in Bangkok :) Miguel's is king in the north, and deservedly so.

By the way, I tried El Diablo for the first time about three weeks ago. Not bad.

I must say I much prefer the new branch. It is away from the moat and the traffic, the food is equally as good and I feel the service is better. You are actually inside a real restaurant with Air Con, nice music and no Tuk-Tuk's roaring past or the smell of exhaust fumes (or moat fumes) wafting over your table.

I must say I much prefer the new branch. It is away from the moat and the traffic, the food is equally as good and I feel the service is better. You are actually inside a real restaurant with Air Con, nice music and no Tuk-Tuk's roaring past or the smell of exhaust fumes (or moat fumes) wafting over your table.

Lots of parking too.

Although I should probably stop saying good things about the new location as I don't want it to be too busy!

I'm glad someone so well known for his good taste agrees with me. I was afraid that the folks in Pattaya and Bangkok would think that I was exaggerating.

I have just visited both cities, tried the most recommended Mexican places and still think that Miguel's Mexican is King! :D

I guess you didn't make it to Tacos & Salsa when you were in Bangkok :) Miguel's is king in the north, and deservedly so.

Is that the place around the corner from Thanon Khao San?

The new location does look nice, but I think that whoever said that it is successful is misleading. I live only 100 meters from the place and it is empty almost everyday. I think in the few months since it was opened there might have been 2 nights where it had more than 10 people. On an average day I see less than 10 customers for the day.

The food is mediocre at best. Anyone that claims that it is real mexican food has never eaten mexican food. The rice and beans are blande. Their tortillas are poorly made, their salsa is the worst I have ever eaten, very bitter and they don't even take the seeds out of the tomatoes. They do have a few good points. Their guacamole is good, but it is hard to screw that up. Their service staff are friendly, but they use the same cutting board for their vegetables and their meat. I know of 2 different cases of people who got sever food poisoning from eating there. Overall, I give the place a 3 out 10, but for Thailand it is ok but highly overpriced. The ingredients are cheap and there is no special skill required to make Mexican food, the only thing that is expensive is cheese if it is in the dish, so their prices are quite over valued. I don't think that they will get enough local customers to make a succesful business. Whereas across the street is the Nang Nual buffet that is packed day and night.

I suspect that the new location will close up shop in 2 years. If I am wrong, I will buy one round of soft tacos for all TV chiang Mai contributors.

The new location does look nice, but I think that whoever said that it is successful is misleading. I live only 100 meters from the place and it is empty almost everyday. I think in the few months since it was opened there might have been 2 nights where it had more than 10 people. On an average day I see less than 10 customers for the day.

The food is mediocre at best. Anyone that claims that it is real mexican food has never eaten mexican food. The rice and beans are blande. Their tortillas are poorly made, their salsa is the worst I have ever eaten, very bitter and they don't even take the seeds out of the tomatoes. They do have a few good points. Their guacamole is good, but it is hard to screw that up. Their service staff are friendly, but they use the same cutting board for their vegetables and their meat. I know of 2 different cases of people who got sever food poisoning from eating there. Overall, I give the place a 3 out 10, but for Thailand it is ok but highly overpriced. The ingredients are cheap and there is no special skill required to make Mexican food, the only thing that is expensive is cheese if it is in the dish, so their prices are quite over valued. I don't think that they will get enough local customers to make a succesful business. Whereas across the street is the Nang Nual buffet that is packed day and night.

I suspect that the new location will close up shop in 2 years. If I am wrong, I will buy one round of soft tacos for all TV chiang Mai contributors.

I have to say that across the street at the Nang Nual Buffet was some really nasty food. It amazes me that all of these really low quality buffets exist and flourish.

Miguel's at the new location has many things going for it. One of the big things is that the landlady is a fair and reasonable women. If she likes your business she will support it and offer discounts and incentives on the lease. Can we get an advance on the soft tacos?

I have to say that across the street at the Nang Nual Buffet was some really nasty food. It amazes me that all of these really low quality buffets exist and flourish.

Miguel's at the new location has many things going for it. One of the big things is that the landlady is a fair and reasonable women. If she likes your business she will support it and offer discounts and incentives on the lease. Can we get an advance on the soft tacos?

I'd say they exist because Thais with lower incomes can gorge and treat themselves with relatively good value in their eyes. I've not tried the buffet mentioned but now I shall have to go and see how really nasty it is!

I shall also have to try the Mexican also, I've not endulged in a few years, it's only around the corner. Last time was in Koh samui and I was poisoned, kind of put me off for a while, but all this talk about it........ Actually a while back on a previous thread, I think it was, I predicted that despite it's great appearance that because of location and price that I didn't think that local expatriates would support it enough. I'm under the impression meals cost more than most expats would like to spend on dining out regularly and that the location is good only for those South of the city. I can't see tourists going there.

I hope it's a sucess for the investors sake.

What did you mean by 'if she likes your business she will support it and offer discounts and incentives on the lease' I must have missed something getgoing.

Regards Bojo

Bojo, I don't know what you mean by low income Thais. The cost of the Nang nual dinner buffet is nearly 400 baht. I guess if that is what you consider low income for a meal, you are doing better than most. I actually do not recommend that place. The food isn't that great and the selection is limited. The upside is that you can have things prepared any way that you want. If I am going to spend 400 baht on a buffet, I would go to the Shangrila. High quality of food, good service and great atmosphere.

Why would I give an advance on something I am betting not to succeed. I do wish them good luck but I feel that they will not prosper. I don't wish any business ill, but that location has been a curse for many western style resturaunts. Not enough locals will eat there and it is too far out of the way for tourists. The only community that will give them business is long term expats, however mexican food is not something that they will go everyday. I suspect the business on the moat is doing well, but the new location doesn't have enough traffic. Can a business survive on less than 10 customers a day? High rent, huge start up costs, payment for a franchise name. I think that they will take more than 10 years to recover their investment at this rate.

The food is mediocre at best. Anyone that claims that it is real mexican food has never eaten mexican food. The rice and beans are blande. Their tortillas are poorly made, their salsa is the worst I have ever eaten, very bitter and they don't even take the seeds out of the tomatoes. They do have a few good points. Their guacamole is good, but it is hard to screw that up. Their service staff are friendly, but they use the same cutting board for their vegetables and their meat. I know of 2 different cases of people who got sever food poisoning from eating there. Overall, I give the place a 3 out 10, but for Thailand it is ok but highly overpriced. The ingredients are cheap and there is no special skill required to make Mexican food, the only thing that is expensive is cheese if it is in the dish, so their prices are quite over valued.

Let me guess, you joined TV (or joined under another ID) in order to badmouth this establishment... No one claims they serve "real" Mexican food. As for two customers getting food poisoning there, I don't believe it. "

...there is no special skill required to make Mexican food..." Obviously you have never traveled in Mexico or you don't know Mexican food!

I'd say they exist because Thais with lower incomes can gorge and treat themselves with relatively good value in their eyes. I've not tried the buffet mentioned but now I shall have to go and see how really nasty it is!

I shall also have to try the Mexican also, I've not endulged in a few years, it's only around the corner. Last time was in Koh samui and I was poisoned, kind of put me off for a while, but all this talk about it........ Actually a while back on a previous thread, I think it was, I predicted that despite it's great appearance that because of location and price that I didn't think that local expatriates would support it enough. I'm under the impression meals cost more than most expats would like to spend on dining out regularly and that the location is good only for those South of the city. I can't see tourists going there.

I hope it's a sucess for the investors sake.

What did you mean by 'if she likes your business she will support it and offer discounts and incentives on the lease' I must have missed something getgoing.

Regards Bojo

She is known for discounting rents and offering special deals. Her rents are all different depending on how much she likes the business. While this might not be the only factor in whether or not a business stays around or fails it is usually the biggest factor.

Bojo, I don't know what you mean by low income Thais. The cost of the Nang nual dinner buffet is nearly 400 baht. I guess if that is what you consider low income for a meal, you are doing better than most. I actually do not recommend that place. The food isn't that great and the selection is limited. The upside is that you can have things prepared any way that you want. If I am going to spend 400 baht on a buffet, I would go to the Shangrila. High quality of food, good service and great atmosphere.

Why would I give an advance on something I am betting not to succeed. I do wish them good luck but I feel that they will not prosper. I don't wish any business ill, but that location has been a curse for many western style resturaunts. Not enough locals will eat there and it is too far out of the way for tourists. The only community that will give them business is long term expats, however mexican food is not something that they will go everyday. I suspect the business on the moat is doing well, but the new location doesn't have enough traffic. Can a business survive on less than 10 customers a day? High rent, huge start up costs, payment for a franchise name. I think that they will take more than 10 years to recover their investment at this rate.

My mistake 001, I assumed from getgoings comments of 'it amazes me that all these low quality buffets exist and flourish' that he was referring to a buffet costing 59b or so. I don't know Nang Nual only the Yamoto buffet, which was at lunchtime a steal at 199b and then of course as per usual the price increased to 299b. I don't think I have any Jewish roots, but having enjoyed a meal and then see it increse by so much is quite off putting!

Regrading nang nual, I shall be heeding yours and getgoings advice and giving the place a miss if it's not so good especially at 400b.

Regards Bojo

Yamamoto at 199 Baht or 299 Baht is 199 or 299 Baht too expensive. Low quality. Off putting is the fish there. I was referring to Yamamoto.

elektrified. I actually have lived here for more than 8 years and recently joined the forums to discuss things on the agricultural and farming forums but since I live in Chiang Mai I occassionally peruse this forum. I just found it quite ironic that this thread which was at least a year old came out from the grave when I was just talking with a colleague about this place. We both mentioned how little business the new building was getting.

I actually lived in Mexico for 2 years and learned mexican cooking from one of my friend's grandmothers.

I suspect that you and a few others are giving free advertising for miguels. I just offer a different perspective. Personally, I hope that they do well, but I feel if they don't make a few changes that they will not.

You may not believe that 2 people got food poisoning but I happened to work with one. The other was his wife. They both ate their and got seriously ill. It was suspected that it was from the chicken taco. Like I said they used the same cutting board for the veggies as they did for the chicken.

Actually they claim that they sell "real authentic mexican food" it is on their sign and advertising.

Had an early dinner at Miguels, thought I'd give it a go.

660b for 3 mains, one scoop of ice cream and soft drinks for 3.

I would recommend it for the affable franchisee, she was lovely, the parking, the decor, the friendly waitress, good sized portions, the atmosphere as there we're about 15 in there at 6pm. The food was OK, pretty good but no great shakes. I will go there again as it's a family restaurant.

Regards Bojo