Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ulysses G.

My first visit to Muigel's was soon after they'd opened at the moat and that's the only Miguel's I've been to. The food was excellent on that first visit. Subsequent visits have been delightful, though each slightly less so than the one before. My last visit was about four months ago and the food was pretty abysmal. My rapidly growing teenager who'll eat almost anything in copious amounts didn't finish her food. My 10 year old, who's a fussy eater cleaned out her plate. Go figure.

Now I don't know 'Mexican' from jacksh_it, but I know what I like, and I didn't like the food on my last visit to Miguel's. I can only hope it was an anomaly and I'll certainly give the place another try because I'd hate to have to knock another eatery off my list.

I've never had the squitters from eating at Miguel's, or anywhere else in CM. But then we generally try not to eat out too much during the hottest summer weeks anyway, because during those times, it's a bit of a crapshoot anywhere you choose to eat.

I've read only the last two pages of this thread and most of the anti-Miguel crowd have been hit-and-runners (fly-by-nighters?) so there seems merit in UG's accusation. But, hey internet competitor-bashing is a thriving sport and businesses have to get used to it. It's not like various bookstore owners haven't tried it out. The flip side is that business owners and their friends can just as easily use the internet to talk up their businesses. Balance restored.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first visit to Muigel's was soon after they'd opened at the moat and that's the only Miguel's I've been to. The food was excellent on that first visit. Subsequent visits have been delightful, though each slightly less so than the one before. My last visit was about four months ago and the food was pretty abysmal. My rapidly growing teenager who'll eat almost anything in copious amounts didn't finish her food. My 10 year old, who's a fussy eater cleaned out her plate. Go figure.

Now I don't know 'Mexican' from jacksh_it, but I know what I like, and I didn't like the food on my last visit to Miguel's. I can only hope it was an anomaly and I'll certainly give the place another try because I'd hate to have to knock another eatery off my list.

I've never had the squitters from eating at Miguel's, or anywhere else in CM. But then we generally try not to eat out too much during the hottest summer weeks anyway, because during those times, it's a bit of a crapshoot anywhere you choose to eat.

I've read only the last two pages of this thread and most of the anti-Miguel crowd have been hit-and-runners (fly-by-nighters?) so there seems merit in UG's accusation. But, hey internet competitor-bashing is a thriving sport and businesses have to get used to it. It's not like various bookstore owners haven't tried it out. The flip side is that business owners and their friends can just as easily use the internet to talk up their businesses. Balance restored.

A very fair post.

I occasionally buy goods on ebay and it is true to say I am always a little more concerned where the seller has zero feedback, compared with one who has a large number of positive "feedbacks" (and I know ebay feedback can be manipulated and faked). But, then again, everybody has to start somewhere!

But just I have read some poor posts from "newbies" on TV, I have also read demonstrably untrue comments from "senior" members. Unless I have evidence, I would like to take each post on its own merit.

So, some people like Miguels, and some don't. Free speech and all that!

My only question is if Miguels is a Chiang Mai success story, great restaurant, always busy, business up 80% etc etc (see OP for details) then why the need to start another thread like this?

Perhaps over-hyping a place can sometimes cause a negative impact as well. I run my own business (in IT) and know how hard it is sometimes, and whilst I am always happy to hear all feedback, I would not want people publicly and repeatedly gushing praise over me. I think it would make me question their true intention.

Regards

Edited by piercefilmlid

I've never been to Miguel's but I have met the owner. A very nice guy, who like a lot of other people here, is trying to make a living. It's not easy running any kind of business and anyone having the gumption to try it in  a foreign country  deserves a great deal of respect. Admittedly, some businesses are doomed for failure from the outset, bad product, bad marketing bad location, or whatever but nonetheless I still admire someone for giving it a go. Everyone starting out believes it's going to work but, all the same, the reality is that most new businesses fail. 

Maybe UG, like me, has an empathy with those that give it a try and is pleased when someone seems to be having some measure of success.

Whether Miguel's is authentic or not is immaterial. He is offering a product or service that will hopefully satisfy enough customers to keep him in business. Is McDonald's the best Burger in the world? Not necessarily, but it still manages to satisfy lots of people. The problem is some people don't like McDonalds so they have a need to let the world know - 'McDonald's is Sh*t, and I know because my grandmother showed me how to cook burgers from a family recipe ....'. Trying telling that to the hordes enjoying a fun day with the family.

The reality is McDonald's is great to millions of people and crap to millions. Who's right? They all are. It's a matter of taste. And more importantly, McDonald's is the best example of the fact that it's not about the taste, it's about the experience. Going out to eat for most people is a leisure activity. It's fun. They're going out with the kids or friends to have a good time. The food is incidental. By all accounts plenty of people have been to Miguel's and had a good time and so long as that remains true they will be okay.

I go to restaurants for the same reason as most people. A nice time with the wife and kids or friends and sometimes the food is very good and very rarely it isn't so good. Most of the time I don't particularly notice because I'm out enjoying the occasion. I can't particularly recall having food that was so bad that I want to tell the world. Too busy enjoying the occasion. A night is invariably memorable because of the company and very occasionally because of the food. 

The only thing that intrigues me about these topics is the overly negative posts . I don't think they make any difference to the businesses concerned so what is the purpose? Letting off steam? Some of them stem from a disbelief that somebody else found a place to be good that they for some reason found not just bad but disgusting. How could somebody possibly have a different view to them? And I still think that if they were in good company, enjoying themselves it wouldn't be such a big deal. 

To sum it all up - I think the moaners need to find some good friends and start going out to enjoy yourselves and as regards to publically disgracing a person or business, I think it shows a lack of class.  :)  

And in answer to the inevitable question - 'so it's okay to praise a business publicly, but it's not okay to slate it?' , the answer is 'yes'. Look up 'etiquette'. And to make matters even worse - for those of you that think I'm a pretentious wank%r - you're absolutely right. :D  

And I don't care because me Mam loves me and thinks I'm great - and as everyone knows, Mother knows best!!

All good fun.

Edited by KevinHunt

My only question is if Miguels is a Chiang Mai success story, great restaurant, always busy, business up 80% etc etc (see OP for details) then why the need to start another thread like this?

This is an old thread that was started almost one year ago and had not been deleted. I would probably not post it now as I have noticed that someone seems to be taking advantage of it to spread negative information about Miguel's.

Also, one poster mentioned that he felt that the food at Miguel's had gone downhill since first opening. All I can say is that in my experience it has remained remarkably consistant, but let's face it, a few bad meals can change your feelings a lot. I do know that the current owner recently hired Mike - the fellow that started Miguel's - to come back and tune the place up as well as adding to the menu. He has run a number of Mexican restaurants in California. Mike also helped out with the new branch and that seems to be going well. Good luck to them. They have worked hard and deserve it.

The Mrs and I have eaten lunch in the Plaza 89 Miguels a couple of times. Food was ok and we would go again.

I have to agree that it was not 'hot' though. The problem I think is that Thai chillies are just not as hot as Mexican ones.

This is absolutely correct and perhaps the root of the "hot" problem. Mexican chillies are far less hot than Thai ones and anyone who is used to eating very hot Thai food might find Mexican chillies somewhat bland in comparison.

Edited by Ulysses G.

My mom, besides thinking me the best thing that ever happened on this sordid planet, took the time to teach me basic etiquette, I didn't have to look it up. She said that if you didn't have anything nice to say about someone, say nothing at all. Of course, she was talking about people and not businesses. If I've had a good or bad experience somewhere, I'd have thought that good etiquette demands I share that experience so others may partake in the enjoyment, or be forewarned as the case may be. It is unfortunate that most of us tend to be more inclined to report negative experiences while taking positive ones for granted. But then, when one pays for a service it's reasonable to expect a positive experience as a matter of course and so take it for granted. Still, I'm sure it's good for the soul (or something) to show more appreciation.

I can't speak for 'most people', but I can speak for everyone I know: we like to eat where we know the food is good and avoid places where we know the food isn't good. I'd recommend this simple rule because I think it results in happier meals.

Wouldn't it be great if 'nice guys' succeeded at everything they did? The world would be a better place. I have no reason to doubt that the owner is a nice guy and I sincerely wish Miguel the best of luck. But my wishing it and them earning it are two separate things. I have no wish or reason to hinder his progress, and as a nice guy wishing to do better, I'd think he'd appreciate honest opinions wherever he can get them. Sometimes well-meaning friends can do more harm than anonymous critics.

The Mrs and I have eaten lunch in the Plaza 89 Miguels a couple of times. Food was ok and we would go again.

I have to agree that it was not 'hot' though. The problem I think is that Thai chillies are just not as hot as Mexican ones.

This is absolutely correct and perhaps the root of the "hot" problem. Mexican chillies are far less hot than Thai ones and anyone who is used to eating very hot Thai food might find Mexican chillies somewhat bland in comparison.

UG's right, iainian101, the Thai chillies used in most Thai cooking are much hotter than the Mexican chillies used in most Mexican cooking. The only Mexican chilli that's hotter is the habanero, which is not commonly used for Mexican cuisine in general. Usually eaten on the side or in salsas served on the side.

In fact throughout Mexico most dishes are not very hot at all, and the heat comes from salsas on the side, just as at Miguel's. The house salsa there is pretty perky I think.

but let's face it, a few bad meals can change your feelings a lot. I do know that the current owner recently hired Mike - the fellow that started Miguel's - to come back and tune the place up

UG, your comments about Miguels explain a lot, although I am not sure the current owner would want you making them publicly.

Yes, restaurant starts well, gets a reputation, is sold on and then goes downhill. Unfortunately, not uncommon.

Regards

Edited by piercefilmlid

This is an old thread

Also, one poster mentioned that he felt that the food at Miguel's had gone downhill since first opening. All I can say is that in my experience it has remained remarkably consistant, but let's face it, a few bad meals can change your feelings a lot. I do know that the current owner recently hired Mike - the fellow that started Miguel's - to come back and tune the place up ...snip

I just saw this.

Well it's good to know the owner recognized some things might need fixing and is acting on that. I wish him well. Time for me to give the place another try the next time I'm in the area.

T

I tried miguels on the Lamphun Rd 2 weeks ago for the first time with my parents and son from the UK and had a excellent meal and service.Also the price was reasonable and there is a garden for the young ones to run around in and they have a good pool table.

Normally I go for an indian when I fancy something different but my last couple have been standard so it will be Miguels for me next time,unless someone can point me in the wright direction of a good indian?

Normally I go for an indian when I fancy something different but my last couple have been standard so it will be Miguels for me next time,unless someone can point me in the wright direction of a good indian?

farnag style Indian food - Royal India is my favourite. It's in the bar area behind the Irish pub/Chiang Mai Saloon.

Thai style Indian (muslim) food - The little khao soy restaurant along kaewnawarat Rd, just past Kid's Corner language school. They have great chicken biriyani and khao soy.

Getting back to Miquel's, I have had some delicious and filling meals there.

farnag style Indian food - Royal India is my favourite. It's in the bar area behind the Irish pub/Chiang Mai Saloon.

Thai style Indian (muslim) food - The little khao soy restaurant along kaewnawarat Rd, just past Kid's Corner language school. They have great chicken biriyani and khao soy.

New place to try

New place to try

Sounds good. I haven't tried yet but I like those sort of hole in the wall places

Edited by Loaded

but let's face it, a few bad meals can change your feelings a lot. I do know that the current owner recently hired Mike - the fellow that started Miguel's - to come back and tune the place up

UG, your comments about Miguels explain a lot, although I am not sure the current owner would want you making them publicly.

Yes, restaurant starts well, gets a reputation, is sold on and then goes downhill. Unfortunately, not uncommon.

Regards

A lot of people thought Miguel's improved after Mike sold it.

Regards

A lot of people thought Miguel's improved after Mike sold it.

I think that Miguels has improved with the new[ish] owner, I didn't rate the place much when Mike opened it, I think it's much better now and certainly improved by the covered garden area.

Hmmm what more can be said on this topic? Personally I think if Migs added a salsa bar (no not THAT kind of salsa bar,dream on) that had a variety of salsas, ranchera, fresca, chipotle, etc. no one could complain because then we could customize the taste to our liking.

Wow. I should have been following this thread more closely!

I missed the "last 21 posts" but I had to comment on this:

UG's right, iainian101, the Thai chillies used in most Thai cooking are much hotter than the Mexican chillies used in most Mexican cooking. The only Mexican chilli that's hotter is the habanero, which is not commonly used for Mexican cuisine in general. Usually eaten on the side or in salsas served on the side.

In fact throughout Mexico most dishes are not very hot at all, and the heat comes from salsas on the side, just as at Miguel's. The house salsa there is pretty perky I think.

Thai chillies come from Mexico. They were imported from northern Mexico to Thailand by Dutch traders only a few hundred years ago. They are certainly not hotter than Mexican chillies. As a matter of fact a very similar type of chili grows wild in the area I was born in California, every bit as hot as the Thai variety.

And that has also been my only real complaint about Miguels, that it is not hot enough. Mexican style food in California is pretty bland and tame by Mexican standards, but Miguels makes CalMex seem hot by comparison.

Now I am NOT bashing Miguels. Just saying that it could use a little more salt / lime / chili in the dishes. Some people on here seem to get so defensive of this place.

Thai chillies come from Mexico. They were imported from northern Mexico to Thailand by Dutch traders only a few hundred years ago. They are certainly not hotter than Mexican chillies. As a matter of fact a very similar type of chili grows wild in the area I was born in California, every bit as hot as the Thai variety.

And that has also been my only real complaint about Miguels, that it is not hot enough. Mexican style food in California is pretty bland and tame by Mexican standards, but Miguels makes CalMex seem hot by comparison.

And Mexican chiles originally come from Bolivia. Bananas aren't Thai either, neither are tomatoes, pumpkin and many other commonly used food items.

Chiles come in hundreds of varieties and two most commonly used chiles in Thailand - phrik chee fah and phrik khee noo -- are many times hotter than the most commonly used Mexican chiles, eg, jalapeno and serrano. Only one chile in Mexico is hotter than any of the commonly used chiles here, as I pointed out above, and it is most often as a condiment.

Have you even been to Mexico? The vast majority of dishes are nowhere near as hot as Thai cuisine. There is no commonly eaten dish in Mexico that is as hot as a typical yam pla meuk for example, or a khua kring or kaeng phet. Nada. In Mexico salsas are served on the side for making the dishes hotter.

Reference:

http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

Scoville ratings

Chile Pepper / Heat Range

Sweet Bell 0

Sweet Banana 0

Pimento 0

Cherry 00 ~ 500

Pepperoncini 100 ~ 500

Sonora 300 ~ 600

El-Paso 500 ~ 700

Santa Fe Grande 500 ~ 750

NuMex R Naky 500 ~ 1,000

Coronado 700 ~ 1,000

TAM Mild Jalapeno 1,000 ~ 1,500

New Mexico 6-4 1,000 ~ 1,500

Espanola 1,000 ~ 2,000

Poblano 1,000 ~ 2,000

Ancho 1,000 ~ 2,000

Mulato 1,000 ~ 2,000

Pasilla 1,000 ~ 2,000

Anaheim 500 ~ 2,500

Sandia 500 ~ 2,500

NuMex Big Jim 1,500 ~ 2,500

Rocotillo 1,500 ~ 2,500

Pulla 700 ~ 3,000

NuMex Joe E. Parker 1,500 ~ 3,000

Bulgarian Carrot 2,000 ~ 5,000

Mirasol 2,500 ~ 5,000

Guajillo 2,500 ~ 5,000

Jalapeno 2,500 ~ 8,000

Chipotle 5,000 ~ 8,000

Long Thick Cayenne 6,000 ~ 8,500

Hot Wax 5,000 ~ 9,000

Puya 5,000 ~ 10,000

Hidalgo 6,000 ~ 17,000

Aji Escabeche 12,000 ~ 17,000

Serrano 8,000 ~ 22,000

Manzano 12,000 ~ 30,000

Shipkas 12,000 ~ 30,000

NuMex Barker's Hot 15,000 ~ 30,000

De Arbol 15,000 ~ 30,000

Jaloro 30,000 ~ 50,000

Aji 30,000 ~ 50,000

Tabasco 30,000 ~ 50,000

Cayenne 30,000 ~ 50,000

Santaka 40,000 ~ 50,000

Super Chile 40,000 ~ 50,000

Piquin 40,000 ~ 58,000

NuMex XX Hot 60,000 ~ 70,000

Yatsafusa 50,000 ~ 75,000

Red Amazon 55,000 ~ 75,000

Haimen 70,000 ~ 80,000

Chiltecpin 60,000 ~ 85,000

Thai 50,000 ~ 100,000

Merah 85,000 ~ 100,000

Tabiche 85,000 ~ 115,000

Bahamian 95,000 ~ 110,000

Carolina Cayenne 100,000 ~ 125,000

Kumataka 125,000 ~ 150,000

Bahamian 125,000 ~ 300,000

Jamaican Hot 100,000 ~ 200,000

Birds Eye 100,000 ~ 225,000

Tepin (Wild) 100,000 ~ 265,000

Datil 1,000 ~ 300,000

Devil Toung 125,000 ~ 325,000

Fatalii 125,000 ~ 325,000

Orange Habanero 150,000 ~ 325,000

Scotch Bonnet 150,000 ~ 325,000

TigrePaw-NR 265,000 ~ 348,000

Rocoto / Manzano 225,000 ~ 350,000

Caribbean Red 120,000 ~ 400,000

Choclate Habanero 325,000 ~ 425,000

Red Savina Habanero 350,000 ~ 575,000

Dorset Naga 800,000 ~ 900,000

Naga Jolokia 800,000 ~ 1,041,000

Common Pepper Spray 2-3,000,000

Police Grade Spray 5,300,000

Homodihydrocapsaicin 8,600,000

Nordihydrocapsaicin 9,100,000

that has also been my only real complaint about Miguels, that it is not hot enough. Mexican style food in California is pretty bland and tame by Mexican standards, but Miguels makes CalMex seem hot by comparison.

Now I am NOT bashing Miguels. Just saying that it could use a little more salt / lime / chili in the dishes.

This is constructive criticism and I'm sure that it is welcomed by the restaurant. Personally, I prefer mildly spicy food, but surely it cannot be that difficult to whip up an extra spicy salsa for fire eaters.

Edited by Ulysses G.

And Mexican chiles originally come from Bolivia. Bananas aren't Thai either, neither are tomatoes, pumpkin and many other commonly used food items.

Chiles come in hundreds of varieties and two most commonly used chiles in Thailand - phrik chee fah and phrik khee noo -- are many times hotter than the most commonly used Mexican chiles, eg, jalapeno and serrano. Only one chile in Mexico is hotter than any of the commonly used chiles here, as I pointed out above, and it is most often as a condiment.

Have you even been to Mexico? The vast majority of dishes are nowhere near as hot as Thai cuisine. There is no commonly eaten dish in Mexico that is as hot as a typical yam pla meuk for example, or a khua kring or kaeng phet. Nada. In Mexico salsas are served on the side for making the dishes hotter.

Reference:

http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

Scoville ratings

Chile Pepper / Heat Range

Sweet Bell 0

Sweet Banana 0

Pimento 0

Cherry 00 ~ 500

Pepperoncini 100 ~ 500

Sonora 300 ~ 600

El-Paso 500 ~ 700

Santa Fe Grande 500 ~ 750

NuMex R Naky 500 ~ 1,000

Coronado 700 ~ 1,000

TAM Mild Jalapeno 1,000 ~ 1,500

New Mexico 6-4 1,000 ~ 1,500

Espanola 1,000 ~ 2,000

Poblano 1,000 ~ 2,000

Ancho 1,000 ~ 2,000

Mulato 1,000 ~ 2,000

Pasilla 1,000 ~ 2,000

Anaheim 500 ~ 2,500

Sandia 500 ~ 2,500

NuMex Big Jim 1,500 ~ 2,500

Rocotillo 1,500 ~ 2,500

Pulla 700 ~ 3,000

NuMex Joe E. Parker 1,500 ~ 3,000

Bulgarian Carrot 2,000 ~ 5,000

Mirasol 2,500 ~ 5,000

Guajillo 2,500 ~ 5,000

Jalapeno 2,500 ~ 8,000

Chipotle 5,000 ~ 8,000

Long Thick Cayenne 6,000 ~ 8,500

Hot Wax 5,000 ~ 9,000

Puya 5,000 ~ 10,000

Hidalgo 6,000 ~ 17,000

Aji Escabeche 12,000 ~ 17,000

Serrano 8,000 ~ 22,000

Manzano 12,000 ~ 30,000

Shipkas 12,000 ~ 30,000

NuMex Barker's Hot 15,000 ~ 30,000

De Arbol 15,000 ~ 30,000

Jaloro 30,000 ~ 50,000

Aji 30,000 ~ 50,000

Tabasco 30,000 ~ 50,000

Cayenne 30,000 ~ 50,000

Santaka 40,000 ~ 50,000

Super Chile 40,000 ~ 50,000

Piquin 40,000 ~ 58,000

NuMex XX Hot 60,000 ~ 70,000

Yatsafusa 50,000 ~ 75,000

Red Amazon 55,000 ~ 75,000

Haimen 70,000 ~ 80,000

Chiltecpin 60,000 ~ 85,000

Thai 50,000 ~ 100,000

Merah 85,000 ~ 100,000

Tabiche 85,000 ~ 115,000

Bahamian 95,000 ~ 110,000

Carolina Cayenne 100,000 ~ 125,000

Kumataka 125,000 ~ 150,000

Bahamian 125,000 ~ 300,000

Jamaican Hot 100,000 ~ 200,000

Birds Eye 100,000 ~ 225,000

Tepin (Wild) 100,000 ~ 265,000

Datil 1,000 ~ 300,000

Devil Toung 125,000 ~ 325,000

Fatalii 125,000 ~ 325,000

Orange Habanero 150,000 ~ 325,000

Scotch Bonnet 150,000 ~ 325,000

TigrePaw-NR 265,000 ~ 348,000

Rocoto / Manzano 225,000 ~ 350,000

Caribbean Red 120,000 ~ 400,000

Choclate Habanero 325,000 ~ 425,000

Red Savina Habanero 350,000 ~ 575,000

Dorset Naga 800,000 ~ 900,000

Naga Jolokia 800,000 ~ 1,041,000

Common Pepper Spray 2-3,000,000

Police Grade Spray 5,300,000

Homodihydrocapsaicin 8,600,000

Nordihydrocapsaicin 9,100,000

holy guacamole!! ~ didnt know so many chilies existed, a proctololgists nightmare :)

Edited by Donnyboy

I have never cared one one or another about salsas ( I rather have guacamole and tortila chips), but some people find them to be of the utmost importance.Salsas seems to be one big difference in taste between alot of Mexican food fans.

That's an excellent point. I'm very much a salsa fan, the spicier the better, but you're right many people don't like it.

Yes, I've been to Mexico many times, as a child and as an adult. As someone else correctly pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the food varies a great deal throughout the different regions Mexico. Mexico is geographically a large country! Over 3000 km from northern tip to southern. I've had food so hot in Mexico that I couldn't breath right after eating it, and I've had food that was very mild and tasteless. It's a big country. I've also had yam pla meuk and somtams here in thailand that were so mild anyone could eat them. Doesn't mean anything.

No Mexican restaurant can claim to serve food representative of all of Mexico (TexMex and CalMex aside!) All any restaurant can hope to do is serve food that is liked by the majority of people who eat there. I guess in that respect Miguels does pretty well. I would prefer a little more lime and heat, but I think most people here like it the way it is.