Acer Netbook, Internet Connection Options?

scorecard

Just bought the ACER netbook. In my IT ignorance I didn't realize there is no slot to connect normal telephone line. There is bigger slot for office LAN type plug.

Can get wireless connection in Starbucks etc. Don't have wirless at home, have normal telephone dial up connection.

Any other options for internet connection for the netbook?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Just bought the ACER netbook. In my IT ignorance I didn't realize there is no slot to connect normal telephone line. There is bigger slot for office LAN type plug.

Can get wireless connection in Starbucks etc. Don't have wirless at home, have normal telephone dial up connection.

Any other options for internet connection for the netbook?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Maybe you should post the exact Acer Model you have?!

If you seek help, please post as much details as possible.

Cheers.

There are external USB dial-up modems, but as mentioned, a GPRS/EDGE enabled phone would be the better choice. Also mentioned, ADSL which will use the LAN jack + phone line to get you better speeds (depending on ISP and location).

why not take adsl?

Thanks for all the responses.

As mentioned I am not IT literate, so I'm struggling with all of this.

Machine is ACER Aspire One.

There is no telephone port on the machine to plug in a telephone line, so I'm lost about using ADSL services.

Additionally, the current netbook machines don't have bluetooth capability (although my Samsung mobile does, but this is beside the point here).

Would appeciate some further explanation of 'LAN jack', please, and where to buy etc.

Also would you please explain about 'USB modem', if I use this I'm wondering how to connect, there is no telephone port.

Thanks and look forward to your further advice, very much appreciated.

Regards

There is no telephone port on the machine to plug in a telephone line, so I'm lost about using ADSL services.

Would appeciate some further explanation of 'LAN jack', please, and where to buy etc.

Also would you please explain about 'USB modem', if I use this I'm wondering how to connect, there is no telephone port.

DSL runs over your phone line, but you need a DSL modem which would then connect to your ethernet (LAN) port or wireless adapter. Dial up modems run at 56kbps and DSL can be had at speeds of between 256kbps - 5,000+kbps. Are you located in Bangkok or another large metro area? The people here could give you an idea of what's available in your area if we knew where you are.

Here are some of the larger DSL providers in Thailands metro areas.

http://www.truecorp.co.th/eng/promotion/pr...uperhispeed.jsp

http://www.maxnet.co.th/product_adsl.php

http://www.catdatacom.com/en/product_details.asp?para=174

http://www.tot.co.th/toten/index.php?optio...amp;Itemid=1082

Edited by surface

You have several choices:

1. if you've a phone lie, apply for an ADSL connection, TRUE line you need and can contact TRUE only, TOT line, check which ISP serves i your area. the line is connected to the Modem and the Modem by LAN cable to the Laptop;

2. use your handy by using GPRS or Edge or CDMA (Bangkok HUTCH only), depend on handy need to use an Data Cable connect from handy to Laptop by USB or use WiFi if available at both: Handy and Laptop;

3. use an external USB modem connect by USB to the Laptop while the phone line is connected to the modem.

Best would be ADSL. maybe check with your Landlord who is the provider of the Line and contact them.

Cheers.