Stopping Migration As Answer To Economic Crisis

njpski

I am angry!

Have just read two letters to the editor in the Melbourne Australia The Age newspaper saying that Australia should stop allowing migrants because the migrants will adversely affect the economy, the environment and the social fabric. I am sure that these letters are not confined to Australia but can be read in most countries.

I admit bias, I am sponsoring a migrant to Australia, my teeluk.

But...

The implicit racism of those people calling for a reduction in migration to reduce population pressure is breathtaking!

If population pressure is an issue, then take a whole of population approach.

Migrants to a country have to pass stringent health, character and financial tests, but unhealthy, impoverished locals are allowed to breed (in fact, are encouraged with government grants!!) and become incredible impositions on the existing population.

There are families that exist, and have done for generations, on social welfare, the xenophobes are happy to see these unproductive drains on the public purse to continue breeding.

Meanwhile, the resentment against migrants from some quarters grows - "they have taken our jobs" is the cry. No, the migrant hasn't taken "your job", he/she is doing work that you don't want to do!

I believe countries can only get better by embracing other cultures, Australia without its Greeks, Italians and Chinese in past generations and now Asian (Vietnam, Thailand, Phillipines, Malaysia) influences, and the start of African migration, would be immensely poorer, less vibrant.

It is not funny seeing a second generation white Australian saying to seventh generation Australian of Chinese ancestry, "Getback to where you came from". Fortunately, most Australians are accepting of difference.

Migration always takes a hit when there are economic problems. When the economy is strong they are needed to drive the engine of growth and are welcomed. Right now, it's not a good time to be an immigrant of any kind.

Best of luck to you and I hope your sponsorship is successful. Fortunately, the wheels of change move slowly.

Australia has one of the worst reputations for human rights in history.

Post war it’s ultra right wing government refused to take in Jewish, Italian and Asian refugees. Whites applying for citizenship were first given a medical that involved checking the colour of the back of the hands. Slightly tanned, they didn’t get in.

Chinese applicants had to read the Australian constitution; only difficulty was that it was in Russian, if they learned this, than it was changed to Greek. In other words, they we’re not getting in, the dreaded yellow peril. Filipino immigrants suffered enormously back in the 70s & 80s because of extreme Government backed Australian racism.

After Australia was blown out by Britain and Europe after the founding of the EEC, Australia soon began to realise the importance of trading with their Asian neighbours that had become more prosperous in the 80s & 90s.

These days it is beneficial for Australians not to be racist, because the Australian economy requires it’s Asian neighbours, although they still have an occasional crack at Thailand affecting Thailand’s tourist trade from time to time.

I saw in the BKK Post today (Sunday), that an Afghan refugee who was denied asylum by Australia was returned to Afghanistan and the Taliban killed him and beheaded him. Quite sad. Refoulment is one very basic principle in refugee work.

Our migration history is shameful, we lock people away for up to 11 years in a detention centre, lock up people in detention centres because they cant speak english and let people starve to death in villawood detention centre.

The lady at imigration in told my wife that she will be put in the detention centre after not listening to my wife's question properly. They had to call security on me after that.

It needs a overhaul big time

Meanwhile, the resentment against migrants from some quarters grows - "they have taken our jobs" is the cry. No, the migrant hasn't taken "your job", he/she is doing work that you don't want to do!

At some point, the migrants begin taking jobs that are the only ones certain people can do.

I recall a news article from about 20 years ago in the Chicago Tribune, a "profile" on a mentally retarded janitor at a metalworking company. He was happy to have his job, and was hoping to get married. Today, he'd be on welfare, and his job would be filled by a random assortment of illegal aliens who would probably be paid below the legal minimum wage, and who certainly would be well below min if you counted the FICA tax, unemployment insurance tax, workmen's comp tax, and so on.

Likewise, back in those days, it was common for high school and college students to do lawnwork or home construction jobs in summer to save for tuition, cars, and so on. One of my old girlfriends used to pick apples in central Washington state. Nowadays, good luck finding one of those jobs that isn't filled by illegal immigrants. (This is why the American unemployment rate didn't skyrocket when home construction collapsed over the last year; a very large percentage of the construction workers were illegals whose job losses don't get reported.)

Yeah, fine, you personally don't want to pound nails, drive a taxi, or sweep floors, but not everyone has the experience, education, skills, and/or capital to start a business, be a doctor, design consumer gadgets, or assemble aircraft. We can't all be rock stars.

Australia stop migration Never!! who would they get to do the hard work, fruit farms having to close down,because they cant get people to pick the fruit even though there are 1000,s of fit young men on the dole,queensland is even allowing large numbers of seasonal fruitpickers to be brought in from , Korea, Thailand and even India, ofcourse the country has financial problems, teenage un married mothers can expect a 1200dollar bonus per child on the 4th of december ,bit of an eye opener when the local village alcoholic and the sinle mother of his 5 kids can expect to recieve at least 7500dollars as well,we had thai visitors that we were sponsoring, refused entry at Brisbane airport 6 weeks ago only reason they were given was , it appeared they had come over here to work, its a funny old world, as a reasonably new australian ctizen I love this place to bits , a shame it has more than its fair share of <deleted> :o

At some point, the migrants begin taking jobs that are the only ones certain people can do.

I recall a news article from about 20 years ago in the Chicago Tribune, a "profile" on a mentally retarded janitor at a metalworking company. He was happy to have his job, and was hoping to get married. Today, he'd be on welfare, and his job would be filled by a random assortment of illegal aliens who would probably be paid below the legal minimum wage, and who certainly would be well below min if you counted the FICA tax, unemployment insurance tax, workmen's comp tax, and so on.

Likewise, back in those days, it was common for high school and college students to do lawnwork or home construction jobs in summer to save for tuition, cars, and so on. One of my old girlfriends used to pick apples in central Washington state. Nowadays, good luck finding one of those jobs that isn't filled by illegal immigrants. (This is why the American unemployment rate didn't skyrocket when home construction collapsed over the last year; a very large percentage of the construction workers were illegals whose job losses don't get reported.)

Yeah, fine, you personally don't want to pound nails, drive a taxi, or sweep floors, but not everyone has the experience, education, skills, and/or capital to start a business, be a doctor, design consumer gadgets, or assemble aircraft. We can't all be rock stars.

True that, most aussies rather be on the dole then doing the shit jobs so we need to get people from overseas to do the work. Overstay your visa and you could get locked up for years and tortured. Its happened many times before

With the advent of the World Wide recession many countries are starting to blame immigrants for their troubles. For a whole range of reasons this does not make sense.

One thing I am sure of is that the World's population is much more mobile than ever before. Ultimately, World governments will not be able to stop people moving from country to country. Peoples of the world will inter marry and the definition of races and nationalities will be less clear.

The implicit racism of those people calling for a reduction in migration to reduce population pressure is breathtaking!

You're way too emotional (for obvious reasons).

To stop or reduce or change migration flows is absolutly not "racism". And it's even amazing that you could write such thing.

It's just plain common sense, based on economics.

But it depends on some local factors.

I do not know if Australia offers social benefits for all people living in Australia (including foreigners).

But it's the case in many countries in Europe : in the current economic environment, it would be suicidal for us to continue to welcome people from poor african countries (like we do... a lot).

They can't find work (recession and because of their low level of education) and they put a stress on our social benefits programs (free schooling, free medical cares, money given to families for each child they have, helps for housing.... the list is endless in France for instance).

But again it's not racism : just mathematics.

Now of course I can understand that you're upset for your girlfriend, but you should have also a broader point of view.

You're way too emotional (for obvious reasons).

To stop or reduce or change migration flows is absolutly not "racism". And it's even amazing that you could write such thing.

It's just plain common sense, based on economics.

But it depends on some local factors.

I do not know if Australia offers social benefits for all people living in Australia (including foreigners).

But it's the case in many countries in Europe : in the current economic environment, it would be suicidal for us to continue to welcome people from poor african countries (like we do... a lot).

They can't find work (recession and because of their low level of education) and they put a stress on our social benefits programs (free schooling, free medical cares, money given to families for each child they have, helps for housing.... the list is endless in France for instance).

But again it's not racism : just mathematics.

Now of course I can understand that you're upset for your girlfriend, but you should have also a broader point of view.

The redution or change may not be racism or anything like that but they have a really bad record over the years which has been improving a little. There were officers who were caught only letting good looking asian girls in and rejecting the ugly ones. Also some officers were caught only letting white foreigners and not any other races in if possible. But this happened about 5 or 7 years ago. There were alot of bad things going on around that time even at the detention centres were they would get sexual favours for a chocolate bar and were not fed properly. Its a massive issue were the media has ben very quiet about in resent years

Highly skilled economic migrants are good for an economy, uncontrolled economic migrants with low skills such as what has been happenning in England for the last 30 years is of absolutely no benefit to the working classes in terms of more competition for work such as building which forces wages down, higher cost of housing, overcrowded schools and hospitals, and to feel like a foreign citizen in ones own country, try moving to Brixton as a white English male

you'll soon find out what true racism is.

But low skilled migrants are fantastic for the Bourgeois.

To the OP your partner can and will get citizenship to Australia in time provided youre a suitable spouse, or do you believe one quick flick through of her application form should enable her instant access to an Australian passport with use of all health and social security benefits in place aswell as being able to bring unlimited members of her family across to Australia or otherwise youre going to start spouting off using the race card.

Besides if someone has skills and qualifications that are needed in Australia, is fluent in English, is young enough, is willing to move to certain areas they will get the correct amount of points needed to get an initial 4 year work permit no matter what colour, creed or religion they are.