Making A Will

Hi,

I'm a U.S. citizen and I need to make a will in a hurry that will cover my U.S. assets. It is possible to do this in Thailand? If I have a will made here and notarized at the U.S. embassy, can that then be used to pass on assets to a Thai national?

Also, do I have to appoint someone in the U.S. as executor or could I name her as executor? Would she be able to handle the probate from Thailand or would it be too expensive? Moreover, if I don't have a state residency, how does probate work anyway?

And what about transfer on death registrations? Can I list a Thai national for a U.S. account? It seems it would have to be a U..S. citizen?

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer who can sort out these issues. Any advice appreciated!

Hi,

I'm a U.S. citizen and I need to make a will in a hurry that will cover my U.S. assets. It is possible to do this in Thailand? If I have a will made here and notarized at the U.S. embassy, can that then be used to pass on assets to a Thai national?

Also, do I have to appoint someone in the U.S. as executor or could I name her as executor? Would she be able to handle the probate from Thailand or would it be too expensive? Moreover, if I don't have a state residency, how does probate work anyway?

And what about transfer on death registrations? Can I list a Thai national for a U.S. account? It seems it would have to be a U..S. citizen?

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer who can sort out these issues. Any advice appreciated!

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I am researching them now as we may move to Thailand in a few years. I think you need a US lawyer. I have been told by a wills and estates lawyer here in New York, that the will can be probated anywhere, but you should confirm this. Assuming that is true, you can use a lawyer in the jurisdiction where you want the will to be probated. As for executor, you would need to have someone who has access to the US court system. That means a US citizen or resident alien.