Tot Vs Cat Vs Maxnet Vs True Need For Internet Comparsion

I'm sure somewhere on thaivisa there is a forum on this although searching for it and wanting to compare it for an idea on koh samui though might be different anyway. For those of you out there I need a realistic idea on these 4 companies as far as price, actual internet speed, upload & download you are recieving. I currently run with TOT Goldcyber paying 1100 a month but majority of the time I am only getting 30kBs per second on download, which honestly sucks considering I need to drive to lamai to the IT Complex to get speeds over 250kBs on a really good day for downloading programs and security updates and streaming video. My questions for you all out there is

1. Who is your internet provider

2. How much are you paying per month

3. How much speed are you getting when downloading, uploading, etc ( mind you speeds vary based on traffic, time of day, etc )

4. Best & Worst Experiences with this Provider

5. Does your provider have its own international gateway or is it going through CAT

Hope you guys can help, TOT internet sucks for downloading, streaming media anything, but its ok for basic internet reading thats about it.

tot is garbage, i had the opportunity to test both, i did compare with maxnet.

i have the cheap maxnet package 2048/512 at 631 bath per month including the VAT , you need to add 107 bath including VAT for the TOT phone number.

348923101.png

Edited by NHJ

tot is garbage, i had the opportunity to test both, i did compare with maxnet.

i have the cheap maxnet package 2048/512 at 631 bath per month including the VAT , you need to add 107 bath including VAT for the TOT phone number.

348923101.png

I am also a TT&T Maxnet customer and relatively satisfied with my package (Indy up to 3072/512 Kbs at 845.30 baht per month including VAT). Far better than comparative TOT offers IMHO (I know several TOT customers among my friends here and they have a lot more interruptions of service than me and than other friends who are also Maxnet customers).  

348925494.png

What about wireless, Wi-FI, not 3G that is not compatible with Europe?

Last winter my hotel had Cyberpoint wifi, 512k locked and not very reliable.

This winter I will stay in a resort with both Cyberpoint and Samuinet, hope the signal of the latter will be ok.

Cyberpoint idea to give away free Wifi to resorts and get paid by the users was a big blow to Free WiFi in Samui.

What about wireless, Wi-FI, not 3G that is not compatible with Europe?

Last winter my hotel had Cyberpoint wifi, 512k locked and not very reliable.

This winter I will stay in a resort with both Cyberpoint and Samuinet, hope the signal of the latter will be ok.

Cyberpoint idea to give away free Wifi to resorts and get paid by the users was a big blow to Free WiFi in Samui.

well free-wifi isn't possible unless you take a premium package wich is costly, not to mention the difficulties to build a citizen network, not so much people having internet and willing to participate.

TOT, have Paid for 2 gig for over 2 years and maybe have seen this speed a total of 10 hours in that time, up time is 32%, most of the time there is no service.

TT&T OK when it is working, but more reliable than TOT.

CAT CDMA Device,(www.catcdma.com) I have had this device for 2 months and It works very well, I can always connect and DL speed is good to excellent and upload is better than TOT or TT&T. And you don't need a telephone line.

I will stop my TOT Service in Jan, 09 if there is no substantial improvement.

1. Who is your internet provider

CAT (On Samui)

2. How much are you paying per month

~B3000 (I splashed out on a decent router capable of handing SHDSL, which set me back ~B8000, but it was worth it)

3. How much speed are you getting when downloading, uploading, etc ( mind you speeds vary based on traffic, time of day, etc )

I have a G.SHDSL connection, so my upload and download is set at 2 MB

My throughput maxes out at about 250KB, which I get regularly downloading torrents (provided there are enough seeds)

4. Best & Worst Experiences with this Provider

Best: none really, they've performed consistently well, and I really hammer the connection sometimes downloading files 3-4GB. Oh, actually, they forgot to bill me for installation, that was pretty good, but don’t tell them :o

Worst: Someone dug through a cable and I lost connectivity for 2 days, but so did everyone else, so I can’t really blame them. I have nothing bad to say about them.

5. Does your provider have its own international gateway or is it going through CAT

I don’t think I need to answer this.

The OP didn't say what speed he is paying for.

If you can get TRUE - great - I have 2 MB/sec package & consistenetly get 1.7 mb down & 350 kbp up using TV speedtest. Well pleased. Price = 952 baht per month (promotion for DSTV sybs).

Edited by dotcom

I just got the CAT wireless. Around 10,000 for the USB reciever and around 800 baht per month. Can use it anywhere except bangkok, very useful setup. Can use it on the ferry, when traveling as passeger in the car, and it's fast....

Just did test, 1015KBS download - 422 upload, that's good considering how portable it is.

Tomorow i'm having a CAT fixed line installed. Free instalation then between 1000 and 5000 per month.

Can anyone recommend which package is best and what speeds they are getting?

I just got the CAT wireless. Around 10,000 for the USB reciever and around 800 baht per month. Can use it anywhere except bangkok, very useful setup. Can use it on the ferry, when traveling as passeger in the car, and it's fast....

Just did test, 1015KBS download - 422 upload, that's good considering how portable it is.

very cheap for the speed, Cyberpoint wifi is 1500b per month at 512kbps....

the only problem is the modem/receiver, not usable on the rest of the world.

If only I could give it back after use..........

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm that TOT is garbage. I had to call them everyday because of service interruption, and now there's no service interruption but the speed is about 200kbps in speedtest.net for download & upload. It should be 2048 and 512, theorically. Not to mention that I had to pay for 7600bahts to open my line.

I pay 1100 baths/months for this shit.

Tomorow i'm having a CAT fixed line installed. Free instalation then between 1000 and 5000 per month.

by cat wireless do you mean the Air Card or the Wilreless Modem?

I see most people are posting speed results for "in-Thailand connections," (like a server in Bangkok), which for me has always been good with TOT Goldcyber; but the TOT international speed ranges from very low to OK from day-to-day, week-to-week.

However, but, it's the international speed/bandwidth "outside of Thailand" which I think you are interested in. I've in the process of evaluating a switch from TOT Goldcyber (2MB download speed) to JI-NET BizConnect (2MB download speed). JI-NET is allowing me to do a free 3 day test of their service. I've been switching back and forth between TOT and JI-NET just by changing the User ID/Password in my ADSL modem. My tests have been a combination of speed test programs (don't rely totalling on these) and just good ol' fashion internet surfing to see how fast (or slow) web sites/pages appear from different parts of the world. So far, JI-NET has been clearly winning the great majority of the tests, especially for international bandwidth/speed. My Vonage number works fine on both TOT and JI-NET and using pop3 to download from my gmail.com email server works fine on both TOT and JI-NET. But like I said, JI-NET is the clear winner for international speed and I also think JI-NET is the winner on "in-Thailand" web page speed although the speed programs show pretty much equal speed for access to Bangkok servers (like I said, don't totally base your decision on these speed programs which can sometimes provide misleading results...use these programs in combination with plain ol' internet surfing to see how fast or slow your web pages appear/respond, files download/upload, etc).

The problem that I have with all of these speed tests shown is that they are showing essentially the connection speed with the provider and country, but not the dynamic real world speed. Try this site and I think you'll be in for a surprise : http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

I use TOT 1.5mb download/512K upload and the best numbers I can get in real world downloads are about 30-40kb/s, which is about 1/15th the speed I get in Canada for a similar price. When my contract runs out they will be getting the heave-ho in favour of a provider that cares at least a modicum about their service or reputation.

Always makes me wonder why, with relatively few homes having a land line, and most having cable-TV (can't miss the soaps...) why there are no cable internet providers here. 10x the speed for the same price, more reliable, clearer VOIP capability, can stream video with ease. Too obvious?

This is not a speedtest, but with my CAT connection 2048/512 i download with Emule at 200 Kbyte/sec (byte, not bit) also for 12 hours consecutive. Same with Bittorrent. I can say I'm happy with Cat, the only problem: little expensive (2700 bat/month)

No need speed tests. If even internet radio stations are getting interrupted most of the time and looking internet videos on e.g. You Tube is only enjoyable in the middle of the night, TOT has to improve that - definitely.

Streaming data like video, audio/radio, etc., demands a "steady/constant" throughput; but it's real hard to find a internet service provider in Thailand that can provide that constant, smooth data flow; the data flow is more in surges (i.e., too many peaks and valleys in the data flow rate). Several can provide some pretty good downstream rates in the 1-2MB range, but when running some tests to see how "steady/constant" that data flow is versus surges/short breaks/etc., you can see data flow is like switching a light switch off and on really, really fast.

by cat wireless do you mean the Air Card or the Wilreless Modem?

Wireless Modem, had it around 10 days now, not a single interuption with service and speeds costantly high. I've decided against geting the fixed line installed.

I am going on a road trip tomorrow so will test it's portability.

I will report back after my road trip, anyone kow where I can get a charger that fits in my car lighter?